O/T PC Issue For Evan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T PC Issue For Evan

My PC was recently given the once over by my local computer shop and all viruses/malware were dealt with. Apparently, someone (a Trojan) has my email id and is sending out less than desirable emails under my name. I've been told that if I change my email address, that MAY stop this. I just need some feedback from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks in advance.
    John B

nothing will stop this. Some other computer somewhere else is sending out the emails.

Comment

That's right. The only thing you can do is change your e-mail address and kill the old one. That way it will no longer be traceable back to you.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

You friends will still think you are spamming them, though.

Comment

Be sure to use a different password for the new email address.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

This is not a unique problem. It has been standard practice for e-mail viruses to use all the names that can be can collected from a computer to use as the return address randomly. Your name may not have been collected from your computer at all but may have been collected from the address book of someone else that you know and has your name in their address book. Either way, you should notifiy your friends of your change of address and explain why. You should also warn them that they may have an infection not caused by you and that they should have their computer checked.

The "From" part of an e-mail that you see when you receive it is not the actual information used to deliver the e-mail. It can be anything at all. The actual address from which the e-mail came is hidden in the headers of the mail which you do not see.
            Last edited by Evan; 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Just a quick note to thank all who replied, especially Evan.
              John B

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                .... The actual address from which the e-mail came is hidden in the headers of the mail which you do not see.

..... and can be spoofed as well, unfortunately.

Comment

Yep, yer stuck. I get people spamming using my domain name all the time and all the (perfectly valid) hate mail responses get reflected back to me.

It's fun trying to explain.
                  ----
                  Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

What's worse about that it can get your domain put on a black hole list. That in turn can cause many ISPs to block access to your domain. Some top level ISPs go further than that which is both stupid and bad practice. They will block the entire IP block because they can't be bothered to filter more carefully. That has happened to me in the past. For a time none of my images that I posted here could be seen in Australia until I changed to a different IP block entirely.
                    Last edited by Evan; 07-08-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

The only solution is beheading spammers with an ax. Is there a button on my keyboard that does this?

Comment

Do you have a "SMITE" button?

Comment

Working...
                        X