No announcement yet.

OT: What's going on with this windmill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What's going on with this windmill?

http://myprops.org/content/Video-12-...aws-attention/

I can't find anything else about it. I understand what thixotropic materials do, but it's not clear how their properties are being used to change the angle of the blades on his demonstration model.

It certainly doesn't look like catsup in the tube, does it?
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Maybe it's made from green tomatoes?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
      Maybe it's made from green tomatoes?
      Don't be so saucy

john
      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

I can't find a patent under the name Schopf, so it's hard to say but I'm wondering whether it is a balance thing where the fluid moves to a location in the circular tube and then stiffens (locks up) if there is vibration present.
        It's an odd one as the idea of putting a windmill on a car to derive the energy to move it along is a perpetual motion type scheme, so the patent must be for something else.

Michael

Comment

He tried catsup to start with but they changed to a better fluid, probably cornstarch in water. Thixotropic fluids become more fluid when agitated. I can't tell for sure how that is intended to change the angle of attack. It is intended to capture wind energy at night when the car is parked.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by form_change
            It's an odd one as the idea of putting a windmill on a car to derive the energy to move it along is a perpetual motion type scheme, so the patent must be for something else.

Michael
            It's not intended to be a perpetual motion machine, just trying to capture some energy to recharge the battery a bit. Sort of like electric buses that have a generator on the brake system that recharge the buses batteries a little bit as they slow down.

Can't see how much use it would be with the added drag driving up energy use, it might actually be in a negative energy state in use.

At least he is using his head to create something instead of going along like the rest of the drones.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

More searching turned up this:

Abstract: The present invention is directed to wind powered apparatus for recharging batteries in an electric powered vehicle, the system includes at least one generator adapted to alternately recharge batteries that supply power to the vehicle, and at least one windmill with turbine blades that automatically adjust blade pitch and operate the generator. Each adjusting turbine blade includes at least one fluid handling system that contains a non-Newtonian pseudoplastic fluid, the handling system including means to reposition the non-Newtonian pseudoplastic fluid between a first location and a second location within the fluid handling system in response to a fluid viscosity is changed by shear created from blade rotation, the blade pitch changed by a shift in blade center of gravity from the repositioned fluid.
              Agent: Harold I. Masteller, Jr. - Springtown, PA, US
              Inventor: William K. Schopf
              USPTO Applicaton #: #20100127505 - Class: 290 55 (USPTO)

So, the CG of the blade changes as the position of the fluid changes, and the change in CG changes the angle of attack of the blades.

More here:
              http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20100...0100127505.php
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

The press of course made a mistake in the video. The patent says pseudoplastic which is the precise opposite of thixotropic. It sounds like they wanted to use the fancier word.

Comment

but...but... you're just drawing energy from the engine. That don't make no sense.

No sense at all.
                  ----
                  Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Originally posted by madwilliamflint
                    but...but... you're just drawing energy from the engine. That don't make no sense.

No sense at all.
                    completely agree..he';s a kid trying to act clever ..that hasn't realized that the windmill will cause you to put your foot on the throttle more.

all the best.markj

Comment

The use of the whosamawhatsis stuff to angle the blades seems neat, hardly related to the application though.

Hey, it's one less kid kicking my arse at CoD. More power to him.
                      ----

Comment

Pat. Appd.

A patent can be APPLIED for by anyone with an 'invention'. Lawyers require 20K up front money to apply, but there ain't no guarantee of getting a patent. If the lawyer thinks an idea will make money, he will cut himself in on the deal, but money up front still applies. Samo-samo.

Always heard that less than 2 percent of applications were approved, took 2 years to investigate, but less than 2 percent ever paid off the initial investment.

Hopefully this thinking by the kid will keep him a fertile mind, and energy. Wonder if his dad explained how the thermatic-viscous fan hub works on the family auto?

--G

Comment

Surprise Surprise, Mambers of the Senate don't understand it either. But that should not stop them from jumping on board.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by hoof
                            Surprise Surprise, Mambers of the Senate don't understand it either. But that should not stop them from jumping on board.

Ray

and then....and then we could just have fleets of these cars driving around in circles generating power! My God! It will solve our dependency on oil!
                            ----

Comment

AFAIK the laws of thermodynamics still apply? or have they been repealed by the supreme court?

Comment

Working...
                              X