Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another shop fan bites the dust WTF? Any DIY options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasquatch
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Actually there are antique fan collectors, (probably a forum on them,) like most things.
    lol...i just got a nice westinghouse this weekend. Restoring it next weekend.

I love the old fans...but at the same time, I have a daughter coming in October. While survival of the fittest sounds good, I'd rather not test it out on my own daughters hair or hands. The old guys aren't guarded very well :-)

Comment

Build your own fan. I have a shop fan that my grandfather made in the middle 1950's that has been used since that time. I had to replace the motor once and bore out the brass pillow block bearings once but it just keeps on running. The only reason I had to rework the bearings is I left it on over the weekend once . It was rattling like crazy when I can in the shop.

It's a 36"x36" wood box with a grill on the front with bearings, blades, belt and motor all on wheels to roll around.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
        Build your own fan.
        That's what I was thinking when I posted. My old loft shop had a 36" belt drive that was immortal. But I want something a little lighter duty than the typical 1/4 hp belt drive since I often run this thing year round just to circulate warm air from the space heater in winter, a variable speed 18-24" is about right for cfm & quietness.

There seems to be several different way to speed control a fan, some motors have multiple coils and some can just be put on a PW dimmer. Anyone have info on this issue, or on belt vs direct?
        Last edited by gellfex; 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I buy old fans at yard sales. The older the better. If they lasted 50 years thats GOOD. I give them a shot of oil and they are good to go.

I bought 2 old rusty Edison fans at a yard sale $5 each. I had to replace the wires and cord, clean the 5 speed switch, lube the bearing then they ran like a brand new one. I repainted one fan and left the other one all rusted. I used them both for 10 years so far and they are still running great. I have about 30 fans some are from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and one from the 1960s. No plastic fans or plastic parts.

Here is my 1917 Hot Air Stirling Engine Fan made by the Al-Cool Fan Company of Chicago. It runs from the heat of a candle or oil burner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56D56rQV-Q

Here is MY copy of the Al-Cool Fan that I built in my shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBXcn4u4es

Here is another Hot Air fan that I built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpRl...eature=related
          Last edited by gary350; 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Just to simplify it use a 3 or 4 step pulley set up to make the speeds. I have thought about doing that for mine at times but now I use it to circulate air in the whole shop.
            Last edited by Carld; 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Older fans

The old fans are good, but now they do have some collectors status.
              This was my grand-paws fan from the 30's-40's, I don't know when he bought it, but it was used every day. I got it from him in the 80's. Replaced the cord,lubed it up, cleaned up the brass. A few days later it sucked the curtain off the window, rod and all, and didn't stall out until it shredded most of the curtain.
              Just a funny story. Hope you find a good fan. Myself, I enjoy air conditioning.
              Ted

Comment

Beautiful old fan ted,, very nice, thanks for a great pic!!!

Comment

Working...
                X