Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a Craftsman 101.27440 lathe with tooling worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a Craftsman 101.27440 lathe with tooling worth?

I have the opportunity to buy one, what is it worth?
    -Finese is using the right size Hammer

"It all depends." What kind of condition is it in? If it's worn out, it's a boat anchor and worthless as a lathe. In good shape...maybe some of the other guys know about that particular have and will have an idea of value.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I would look at lathes sold recently on Ebay and be sure to consider the shipping because that will be a substantial factor unless it is within reach. The tooling is a big factor except for the bits and such, but if it has a collet set and drawbar and taper and milling attachments ect., those can quickly equal the value of the lathe. I'm going to be selling my Craftsman 109 6" lathe which I found to be too small. It was about $250 if I recall.

Spence

Comment

There is a fully loaded one on eBay right now, all tooling including taper attachment and milling attachment. 12" quick change, 36" centers.
        I will be very surprised if it goes for less than $1500.00.
        If that is the same as the machine you are looking at, anything from $500 to $1500 is range depending on tooling and condition.
        eBay Item #2589210981
        I
        Jim H.

Comment

The one I'm looking at has more than that one and he only wants $550. Ebay lathes go for way more than they are worth.

Plus the guy on ebay wont even arrange shipping. He can keep it. He thinks he's sitting on gold or something. Cheaply made lathes should not go for, well made prices.

Comment

It would be hard to find an Atlas/Craftsman with more tooling than that. About the only thing I see missing is a spindle chuck and possibly an Aloris type tool post.
            I gave you a price range of $500-$1500. Apparently you know all about the value of these machines, why are you wasting our time asking for information?
            Jim H.

Comment

Worth is not only implied by Ebay but defined as well. If you can buy a lathe with tooling at below that then you should jump on it. These factors change with the value of your money and the availability of these tools. In a few years there will no longer be any of these tools available and few of us will have jobs that will let us afford them. If G.W. Bush gets re-elected then we should all focus on owning a proper stick to spank our heavily loaded donkeys with and be happy with that.

Spence

Comment

Oh.. oh.

Another firm beleiver of the trickle up from the poor theory.

Comment

Working...
                X