Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgustingly OT: California buying bridge sections from China

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/marke...-span-25907824
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

I saw that in the news a while ago. Perhaps the US no longer possesses the capability to deliver what is required on time and on budget?

The collapse of the space programs seems to be a symptom of that. You may not have heard that the James Webb IR telescope is now on the chopping block. That was to be the replacement for the Hubble. Space Center Houston may also be closing.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Space Center Houston may also be closing.
      So I gather that this means Russia wins the space race

Comment

I case you haven't noticed, Cali is broke d1ck with its budget problems. Out of billions of deficit, they'd rather cut 20 mil so a bunch of state parks can close and everybody can get pist off. It wouldn't surprise me that they would cheap out and buy something from China and drive more businesses out of this state. Anyway, I hope to turn this thread into an OT bash of CA's budget problems rather than a China bash. We already know they make cheap crap.

As for the space program, I feel as though once we put a man on the moon and watched the Soviet empire collapse, we kind of stopped caring as much.

Comment

I took California the sort of state that wants zero industry simply because industry is dirty, noisy and requires manual work...

It is sort of like what I expect a government bureaucrat to really like... A state that only has "clean" industries, like finance and government (paper pushing) industries..

Seems a lot of the western world is heading the same way, and it is very scary.... Our government just announced a Carbon Tax on CO2 emissions... It will pass into legislation as it has support... And the industries most penalised by it are the basic industries that provide the foundations of our current affluent lifestyles...
          Last edited by .RC.; 07-11-2011, 06:00 AM.
          Precision takes time.

Comment

Yeah, then we'll sell the scrap back to the Chinese at 50 cents on the dollar...

Comment

Originally posted by Krunch
              Yeah, then we'll sell the scrap back to the Chinese at 50 cents on the dollar...
              Hey, that's what we do with our bonds. Sell them for $1 and buy them back for $2.

Comment

Originally posted by southpass
                So I gather that this means Russia wins the space race

seeing that the only way an american (or anyone else) can now get into space is via russia... I think yes, they have won..with china in second place.

Comment

California used their HF 20% coupon then?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    California used their HF 20% coupon then?
                    LOL!!! They're having a sale on pieces of the Shanghai bridge:

Shanghai Wonder: Bridge Made of Trash Collapses

In an absurd twist of fate and a rather distinct and unusual statement on the need to recycle, residents of Shanghai got the surprise of their life when earlier this month a major new bridge collapsed, revealing its components to be mostly rubbish and not concrete!
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag
                      I case you haven't noticed, Cali is broke d1ck with its budget problems. Out of billions of deficit, they'd rather cut 20 mil so a bunch of state parks can close and everybody can get pist off.
                      That's how politics works in the US. If you're having a pissing contest over the budget, the first people they lay-off are the firemen, policemen, school teachers, libraries... They wouldn't dare touch the billions in pork to the lobbyists: the Alaskan Bridge to Nowhere, the Trans Texas Highway, ...
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by mike os
                        seeing that the only way an american (or anyone else) can now get into space is via russia... I think yes, they have won..with china in second place.

SpaceX and believes they will be delivering cargo to the space station next year and crew members a year after that.
                        NASA simply got too big.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                          That's how politics works in the US. If you're having a pissing contest over the budget, the first people they lay-off are the firemen, policemen, school teachers, libraries... They wouldn't dare touch the billions in pork to the lobbyists: the Alaskan Bridge to Nowhere, the Trans Texas Highway, ...
                          OR the MASSIVELY BLOATED FEDERAL BEUROCRACY where bureaucrats outnumber policemen and firemen 10:1 and contribute nothing of value to society.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
                            SpaceX and believes they will be delivering cargo to the space station next year and crew members a year after that.
                            NASA simply got too big.
                            By Nasa you mean the Muslim Outreach Administration?

Comment

I drove into Arizona a couple of years ago and all the rest areas were closed. Neighbors said it was due to budget problems. How much can it cost to keep a rest area open as opposed to mothballing it?

When schools cut back they usually cut the workers at the low end of the wage scale first. Don't think the high paid administrators are going to cut their own jobs do you?

My dad used to say things like this would lead to revolution in the US. He didn't see it in his lifetime. I guess that doesn't mean it will never happen. It seems to be happening in many other places right now.

Brian
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X