40 years in august?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 years in august?

On august 14th this year Bronwen and I will have been very happily married for forty years . And they say marriage is dead.
    I know many people who have also been married a long time.How long have you been married and has it been fun or pain? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Alistair,

To answer your question, we just passed 20 years in June. And yes, it has been fun or pain.

George
    George

Comment

I have done 43 years,although it seems longer.
      OTOH,I`ve been nearly 48 years in engineering and it seems shorter.

Comment

Just a newbie at it myself....only 31 years.

Married during a snowstorm (11" of it) on Dec.13, 1980. Still occasionally stormy, but I've learned how to prepare for it.

Comment

7 years for us this August so far so good,

Comment

Alistair,

Good OT subject that I don't recall seeing here before.

My bride and I will celebrate 30 years next February.

Mostly good, a few minor bumps.

I tell friends "that's a lot of puttin up. I don't know how SHE does it".

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Twenty five and a half years, and neither of us has ever remembered an anniversary.

I liked your comment, George. The kids have been fun and pain too. It won't change, but pride and a bit of disappointment too.

Neither of the brats have been prepared to be interested in the physical sciences, although one took maths a fair distance.

I'd have been a lonely old soul by now if I hadn't partnered up. I think we're fair to each other, and listen when we've something to say to each other. As long as we keep having something to say to each other.

Oh, and I've got to sell one of my cars now. Oh, well...
              Richard

Comment

Coming up on 36 years, and she not only married me knowing I was not going to be around a lot, but she also stuck around while Uncle Sammy sent me hither and yon for 30 of those 36 years.

I'd have to say it was a huge amount of fun to date (she might have another idea on that however), and just a wee bit of pain here and there, enough to prove that the bonds we built during the fun times were strong enough to weather whatever else came our way.
                The last 6 years being retired have been pure pleasure.
                Steve
                NRA Life Member

Comment

It will be 52 years for Peggy and I next month! Been GREAT years, too!!

Al

Comment

35 for me this year.
                    Mostly fun. But if there are gonna be bad times, it is better to go through them hand in hand.
                    Wouldnt change her for anything. Just hope she thinks the same about me.

Comment

28 years for me and She Who Must Be Obeyed and it's been enjoyable for 99% of the time.

She encourages me to keep motor racing, even after 20 year of driving, and she signed up as our club's Chief Scrutineer so she can be useful at the track (and she gets to boss 30 odd blokes about which helps). She tolerates trails of swarf on the carpet in the house (just).

One weekend I went out to buy petrol for the race car and bread for the BBQ and came back 2 hours later with petrol, bread and half a ton of 50 year old power hacksaw - she didn't bat an eyelid, just went and got the lifter to help me get it off the truck.

Seems like I've done well in her choice of husband!

Comment

Will be 45 years for us on August 6. The only thing she every put her foot down about was a new motorcycle after I survived a very bad crash in 1980. For many years motorcycleanddivorce was one long word around here!

October 10 will make 46 years as a machinist and I get to find out what retirement is all about after the last 23 years teaching the trade.

Errol Groff
                        Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
                        http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

30 years, just one bump in the road 25 years ago. What did you make her?
                          For our 30th i made this.http://youtu.be/VriAnYgWqZE
                          She loved it, and the grandkids,neighbor kids,etc like playing with it too. Please excuse the advertisement at the end of the video. Wife was OK with it if we could make a buck or two. Iv'e got a month left to figure out this years project and build it.

Congratulations on another milestone.
                          Give her a big hug before you bring home that new tool that you just bought for your own anniversary present.
                          Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Al Messer
                            It will be 52 years for Peggy and I next month! Been GREAT years, too!!

Al
                            Well I've got Al beat by 2 years. and it's been a good run. Not many
                            things I'd do different if I had the chance.
                            ...Lew...

Comment

36 years and still going strong. Met my wife at a rifle match, her dad introduced us...he didn't lose a daughter, he gained a gunsmith!

David
                              David Kaiser
                              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X