Need Odd Size Machine Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Odd Size Machine Screw

I need just one machine screw with the 5-44 thread that is 1 and 1/4" long. It must have a slotted filster head. I've gone through my catalogs and cannot find machine screws with the 44 tpi.

If by chance, anyone would have 5-44 machine screw, 1.25" long with a slotted filster head, could I purchase just the one I need from you? I'm sure if I could find them for sale, I'd have to buy a box of 100 when I need only one. Thanks.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Odd Screw Size

Brownell's Gunsmith Supply has blank slotted head screws that you can turn to size and put your own threads on, or you could just make one.

Comment

#5 screws are not part of the new concept of minimum parts inventories, especially not the 44 tpi fine thread. If you Google "5-44 screw" you'll get some supplier hits, but quickly paging through I didn't see any Filister head varieties.

You may have to make it. I'd use a piece of 1144, and you can get a die from http://www.victornet.com/report/Dies...nd-NF/109.html . Cut the slot with a thin fine-tooth slitting saw. It's not particularly difficult.

The only potential gotcha is turning down the stock to 1/8" dia. prior to threading. If you stick 1 1/4" out all at once it's going to flex away from the toolbit. So, chuck it up close to the end, turn down maybe 1/4" of length, pull out a little more stock, turn down another 1/4" of length, etc. until you get your full 1 1/4".
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any. But,

These guys have 5-44 x 1" Fillister head slotted for $0.55 each, minimum order 3 screws.

http://www.castbullet.com/screws.htm

and

Fastenal has 5-44 x 1.25 Fillister head, slotted for $2.15.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/p...Ntt=5-44+screw

There are probably other sources for small quantities. Just search for "5-44 screw".
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Suggestions and Help

Thanks for the suggestions and help. My concern with making the screw is the flexing of the material as it is so small. I like the idea of cutting it in stages. I just may have to try that.
          Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Cutting in stages is not a good option. Takes too long, and often the last pass gets you a tangle of broken or twisted-up workpiece.

The best way is one cut to final size, using a cutter with a steep rake side-to-side, and NO radius on the "top left corner". It cuts ONLY on the left side, with NO pressure in-line with the crosslide.

The usually recommended rounded tip puts a heavy "cross" pressure on every cut, which is disastrous to multiple cuts, and thin final diameters.

Final diameter here is about 0.090" Length about what you want, a bit over an inch.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X