Reverse boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse boring

Built a drain pipe for the kitchen sink on my lathe, but forgot to turn down one end of the pipe to 40mm. But a tip that I found in "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A. Harvey saved me from having to do the part all over again This book is excellent, worth its price just for this tip alone...

Basically, I put the pipe into the vise, aligned it to the spindle axis and then used my boring head with quill auto feed to shave off from the outer perimeter. I was pleasantly surprised by the very nice surface finish, didn't expect that.

Last edited by taydin; 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM.

kitchen sink wow now you can explain to your better half why you needed an expensive mill and boring head well done you did aneat job.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
      now you can explain to your better half why you needed an expensive mill and boring head
      Had that "discussion" with the wife long time ago. It wasn't pleasant, to say the least

Comment

I think I see your problem -
        Your machines look too new and shiny. That always looks costly to the uninformed. You need to start getting some old beat up looking stuff in there that looks like you were paid to take it...
        Nice solution for the problem though. I'll have to try that out one day.

Michael

Comment

I don't know guys if I had my choice I'd go for nice shiney I am a sucker for shiney machines.Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Taydin, you just used the post to show off your machine, I'm jelous. Peter
            The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Originally posted by form_change
              I think I see your problem -
              Your machines look too new and shiny. That always looks costly to the uninformed. You need to start getting some old beat up looking stuff in there that looks like you were paid to take it...
              Nice solution for the problem though. I'll have to try that out one day.

Michael
              Awsome idea! then when she asks how much it costs, you show her the real bill, but have the seller put a little - infront of all the prices. (And maybe add a decimal place if you paid a lot, so it looks saner. Ie $2000 becomes -$20.00
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Reverse boring = Interesting

or gnirob
                (if you're dislexic )

john
                John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

How many of those carbide inserts did you wear out on that job?

Randy
                  Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Another thing that I have used a boring head for is cutting O-ring grooves.

Boring heads can do more than bore holes.

Brian
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by taydin
                      ........ a tip that I found in "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A. Harvey saved me from having to do the part all over again ...........
                      A good tip and sometimes it's the only way if the workpiece won't fit on the lathe, but don't forget...a threaded shank can unscrew itself from the boring head if it catches or if the load is high enough to break it loose on the threads if you are using a right hand tool. Just saying as a reminder...

Comment

And here I thought this was about putting material back on, not taking it off.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You should clean your shop..totally unsafe and disgusting.

Seriously tho, a very nice machine in the picture, and the rest of the shop looks nice as well.

Comment

That vise looks pretty neat. Got a pic of it?

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                              That vise looks pretty neat. Got a pic of it?
                              It's a 175x300mm vise. Here is the picture from the vendor's page:

Last edited by taydin; 07-13-2011, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X