Price of the "new" South Bend 10K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of the "new" South Bend 10K

I'm not sure if a price was ever posted the first time the "new" 10K was discussed. At any rate, it's for sale by Penn Tool: http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=9260

Price for the lathe is $4,695. The stand is $1,350.

Assuming it's of the quality claimed, that seems reasonably fair to me.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Price jumps to $6616.15 by the time you buy the accessories,which,except for the stand,are normally included in any other ASIAN made lathe. Running on the name??

Why is Penn selling Grizzly stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
      Price jumps to $6616.15 by the time you buy the accessories,which,except for the stand,are normally included in any other ASIAN made lathe. Running on the name??

Why is Penn selling Grizzly stuff?
      Yes, running on the name just like Vice Grip, Rubbermaid, Dell, Apple, and numerous other products that established a reputation as a well made American product.

Q: Why is Penn selling Grizzly stuff?

A: Money

Comment

Looks like PapaGrizzly may be selling Myfords soon too. Need to order a new batch of stickers!
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

South Bend Lathe Co. may have the same owner as Grizzly Industrial, but the business model is not the same. SBLathe has dealer mark-up rather than direct sales. Every indication is that SBLathe wishes to include multiple dealers. Of course, the first on board being Grizzly is unsurprising. From what I see, other dealers are slow to sign up. Penn Tool joins Blue Ridge Machinery as the only other dealers I have noticed so far. That is also unsurprising---there is little that Penn Tool stocks as far as I can tell. There is no risk in cataloging an item that you sell drop-ship from the wholesaler, Woodstock Int'l.

Last I heard, 10k's were due to arrive Stateside and be ready to ship June 30th. I wonder if that is true or has been pushed back once again? Or was it May 31st? I can't remember now...

Comment

Arthur, are you saying Grizzly did not develop this new SB lathe? They did buy out the name and spent a lot of time getting the new SB going. They did the developmental work.

Comment

"Grizzly" did not. The owner of Grizzly bought the name. Legally, Grizzly Industrial and South Bend Lathe are two distinct, separate companies.

Comment

For a new southbend it is surprisingly cheap,in my opinion.Now maybe the Chinese business model at last has made southbend etc adopt a new pricig policy whereby machines are built to sell. Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

South Bend IS Asian made. If Pappa Grizzly doesn't own the company,he definitely took full credit for it on another forum some time ago.

Comment

That sure is juicy lookin'. I might haveta needs me one of them next year.
                    ----
                    Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
                      "Grizzly" did not. The owner of Grizzly bought the name. Legally, Grizzly Industrial and South Bend Lathe are two distinct, separate companies.
                      Yes technically they are separate companies. However they have the same owner and "Papa Griz" is simply using a different business model to increase distribution of the SB products.

What I do not like is the purchase of a well established American brand and then off shoring the manufacturing of the product whether it is SB, Vice Grip, Dell, Apple or any other company. Do the owners have the "right" to do so, under the current system the answer is yes. However, the fact that the companies established brand recognition as an American company has value that can be measured in dollars and cents. The same is true for other products made in other countries.

If I bought a Jag it better be English.

If I bought a Emco Maier it better be Austrian.

If I bought a Swan lager or a Fosters it better be Australian and so on.

Comment

If they were going to copy the old SB,I do wish they hadn't messed up the looks of the original tailstock and carriage apron. I have a keen sense of design,and that really bugs me. There was a certain "rightness" about the original SB. Probably because they had a better appreciation for aesthetics in the old days.

Comment

Comes in net weight under 800 lbs with stand. Alot of $$ for an entry level manual lathe. You can do better value wise with purchasing a used manual lathe 13 to 14 inch swing.
                          The specs are impressive, and it looks like a quality machine, but it's kind of like spending alot of cash on the last/best 35mm film camera as the world turns digital.
                          Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Looks from several feet away can obviously be deceiving. I hear it has hardware quality fasteners all over it. I could change those,but have no idea about the rest of the lathe. I have seen excellent condition heavy 10's go for $2000.00,$2500.00 well equipped.

Comment

If I bought a Jag it better be English.
                              So if an English (for example) manfacturer has a factory in another country that product is no longer English? By that logic, Hondas made in the US are no longer Japanese. I wonder if a Japanese person would hesitate to buy a Honda made in the US?

Tom

BTW - If I'm not mistaken, South Bend took their manufacturing off-shore before Papa Grizzly did.
                              Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X