No announcement yet.

Exactly how does the search work here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly how does the search work here?

Hi,
    What are the search methods on this site. I have had better luck using Google, that refers back to this site than I do using the search function on the site its self. Is there some sort of punctuation that I'm not using for more specific results? I hate to start a new thread for old information that may be already available. I have a new question about flood coolant. I know has come up in the past, I must not be searching correctly.
    Thanks
    Ted

Ted
    I just did a search for flood cooling and came up with 4 pages of threads.
    Dave

Comment

Exactly how does the search work here?
      It doesn't, really. Use Google.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

yes... ignore this and most site search functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          It doesn't, really. Use Google.
          Yep, They should really just replace the search button with a direct google search of the site. The forum search is just usless.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Thank goodness, maybe there is hope for me after all. After all these years of trying the search menu, I just could not get the proper results to narrow down to what I was looking for. Was just wondering if there was some sort of voodoo magic I was missing.
            Thanks,
            Ted

Comment

I just use this:

Google search HSM!

Just for the record: This is not my creation. Just passing it along.

Comment

Well, not very.....

For one thing, as with so many sites, if a search term is 3 letters or less (like "HSS", "DRO", etc), the search term is totally ignored..... you cannot search on it.

Even Google is not what it used to be..... I put in "exact phrase" for "advanced search", and instead, it splits the words up and gives me hits on just one or two of the "exact phrase" words....... Which should NOT happen.

Google needs clobbered, something funny is going on there. Maybe bribes to get "special positioning" in the search. Dunno, just know it does not work as it used to.

Google still works better than the abysmal crap that passes for a search on the forum itself.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

For exact phrase search on Google put the phrase in quotes AND put a plus sign ahead of the phrase. Like this: +"south bend"

An easier way is to simply join words with the plus sign such as light+black

Google never cares about case. It does care about the order of search terms with the first having greatest importance etc. Use the + to force inclusion and the - to force exclusion.

Google also ignores most prepositions and connectives as well as single and 2 letter words with a few exceptions. To make them part of the search put them in quotes with a plus sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    For exact phrase search on Google put the phrase in quotes AND put a plus sign ahead of the phrase. Like this: +"south bend"

An easier way is to simply join words with the plus sign such as light+black
                    When they provide an "exact phrase" line, and then IGNORE it, I don't feel much like doing a code-typing workaround for what SHOULD ALREADY WORK.

Google is starting to be as evil as microsoft, only more so.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Those aren't "workarounds". They are how the search engine works and have been there since the start. The advanced search implements the same syntax if you click all the proper items. It's easier to just type them in instead of using the advanced search function.

Comment

... and similarly for ebay. Use the search syntax well and you will find what others cannot. For some items, individual words or pairs can never cut though the clutter, but with a few adjusters you can zero in.

The most common problem is too many returns. If you see for example the word Honda and Nissan in the returns that has nothing to do with what you want, add those words to the search expression with a minus sign in front.

It would of course be nice if Google, Bing and Ebay used the same syntax

Comment

the syntax to use google to search any site is

search terms site:siteurl, i.e., widget site:ebay.com

Comment

Alta Vista has a search modifier that I wish Google would implement. it is the command <near> meaning that the search term must be within a specific word count from the other search terms. Very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by mototed
                              What are the search methods on this site.

I have a new question about flood coolant. I know has come up in the past,
                              I must not be searching correctly.
                              Originally posted by J Tiers
                              For one thing, as with so many sites, if a search term is 3 letters
                              or less (like "HSS", "DRO", etc), the search term is totally ignored.....
                              you cannot search on it.
                              The default search feature (as appears at the top of the page of
                              a vBulletin site such as this) is crippled by the lack of context - it
                              attempts to bring back everything and succeeds at delivering very little.

OTOH, with some knowledge and practice, the Advanced Search is a surgical tool.

Also, the statement that this forum cannot be searched for three-character
                              strings is incorrect. I get the following results for a search within the
                              General section of this forum using the adjacent key word strings.
                              • 'cut' 18
                              • 'dro' 4
                              • 'hss' 9

However, like most things, the database this forum is founded upon needs
                              periodic maintenance. If it is not reindexed by the administrators from time
                              to time, then search results begin to suffer. (Other forums with higher
                              volumes of traffic experience troubles more rapidly than this occurs here.)

I suggest that after a routine reindexing, the result counts for the
                              forementioned strings will be more in line with expectations.

Comment

Working...
                              X