Looking for an internally threaded Allen bolt/nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an internally threaded Allen bolt/nut

I guess it is technically a nut because it has female threads. I want to bolt a plate onto a stud that is sticking out, except that the stud is kind of on the short side relative to the plate's thickness. There exists this kind of nut which is shaped like a normal Allen socket head screw, except that the body is smooth on the outside and the threads are on the inside. The plate has a hole much bigger than the stud, and gives the nut enough room to screw over the stud. Then the head of the nut catches onto the plate and that holds everything down.

Anybody know exactly what this is called, and where to get some? I need size M6x1.

A hank bush?

EDIT: no, just re-read your description. What you need is similar to the nut they use to hold the exhaust manifold clamp plates on Yamaha motorcycles. You tighten them using an allen key.
    Last edited by Peter.; 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Here you go, M6 stainless allen-nuts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DT250-D...-/120649614401

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Except he needs a flange on the head. I'd make it if I only needed one
        or two. Start with a large socket head cap screw remove the threads
        to clear the hole (or make the hole to fit the screw) and then bore
        and thread the inside to fit the stud.
        ...lew...

Comment

I saw that, but the bolts look quite thick walled so possibly thick enough to allow for machining a step. Either that or turn a step and use a washer.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Google the term sex bolt. No kidding
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

No thanks

I was just thinking that this type of bolt is also used extensively in flat-packed furniture - the kind you spend all weekend trying to assemble into something Homer Simpson would be proud of

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Allen nut

I would get long 10mm allen bolts that have a straight part between the head and threads. Cut the threads off and drill and tap the middle for a 6mm. Even grade 8 bolts are fairly soft in the middle.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                  Google the term sex bolt. No kidding
                  Yup, use a similar fastener to attach door closers to metal doors only We call them She bolts.

Steve

Comment

You will also find them under "Chicago screws" and that you can get the stud longer by using a "post" extension (so you would not have to have both "halves" of a Chicago screw "set"...just extend the post and use a nut...mentioned as most that I could find were slotted heads and that in turn may not be a good choice for your application)

Comment

Here's an example of the bolts I want

Comment

I know you think you'll be bombarded with smut, but when I googled "sex bolt" as per Weston's suggestion I got Wiki and commercial sales entries talking about what sounds like what the OP wants.

There may have been smut further down the page, but I didn't look.

No kidding !

But I'm afraid there were no entries that explained why they're called that. Curious.
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by rohart
                          I know you think you'll be bombarded with smut, but when I googled "sex bolt" as per Weston's suggestion I got Wiki and commercial sales entries talking about what sounds like what the OP wants.

There may have been smut further down the page, but I didn't look.

No kidding !

But I'm afraid there were no entries that explained why they're called that. Curious.
                          Good job Tiffies not about, that Tiffiepedia search would have seen him off

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Sex Bolts

Sex Bolts are often a 2 part set with male and female threaded parts.
                            Kansas City area

Comment

I've never seen a sex bolt where you can really put down the torque.

Comment

Working...
                              X