Russian Machinist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Machinist!

When I was looking at getting my Stanko lathe I found a video on YouTube of a guy using the same model lathe. He posted several videos of some things he was doing. We commented on these videos here on this forum.

I contacted him via YouTube messaging. I told him I purchased a lathe like he was using at home and at work. So we exchanged emails about the lathe and he answered all my questions. So over the last three months we emailed back and forth, bla bla bla. He asked if he could come for a visit. I told him why not and so he came last week.

This guy is a real worker! He helped me finish my shearing machine. We had to build a few gates for the sheep. If I had to go into my office or do something else, when I would come back he was sorting out nuts and bolts, srews, tools etc. and putting them back in their proper places.

I told him today was Sunday and we would take it easy. He said in his best Russian English, "I want work, we must work, life is short".

He studied forestry and is very interested in our Black Forest.

This afternoon he dissasembled the cross slide on my lathe and cleaned it. He is a fanatic for having the tools clean. He asked for white rags to clean with. He kept cleaning with diesel fuel until when he wiped with a clean white rag the rag stayed white and dry. He cleaned every hole until if he poked a rag in with a small prope it came out white and dry. I told him it is cleaned enough now many times. He kept saying, "No, must be clean".

He is very young, only twenty five. But he is very good in the shop. He knows how to handle tools and is a good weldor.

The first day he was here he opened up the headstock and inspected the gears and bearings. He said my lathe was in excellent shape and was not used hard. Tomorrow we change all the oils in all the machines.

He is wearing me out! I might go broke feeding him! He eats for three people and is not fat.

Anyway it is a lot of fun having this guy around. I told him I would pay him for his time here and he could stay as long as possible. If he stays just a few weeks our farm will be a new place and I will be beat.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Hahaha. Sounds like hes worth it. Nice to hear you found an awsome friend. Amazing how motivation can rub off on ya eh? So much harder to sit around slacking if someone else is working hard.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Good for you,sounds like your friends for life.I worked with a Russian immigrant same age as me,hell of a nice guy and an excellent mechanic.Growing up in Russia during the leanest times of the former USSR he and his brothers learned to fix EVERYTHING on a car.Only person I have ever seen take a speedometer apart,fix it and put it back together
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
        He is wearing me out! I might go broke feeding him! He eats for three people and is not fat.
        Many years ago in old Russia, before hiring an agricultural worker they used to feed him. If the person didn't eat well, it meant he wasn't a hard worker.

You've got a good guy. It's quite rare nowadays to find a 25-y.o. Renaissance man.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I wish I had even half that much energy!
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Good for you! I wish i could get someone like that. I've hired a few different guys to help with the stuff I can't do & you don't get much for $10/Cash/Hr. I thought with our economy I could do a lot better.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Only one question- Does he have a much older sister?

Comment

Originally posted by banjoallen
                If he has grab her, Russian women are brilliant, they come with fork truck licence, heavy goods licence, can weld titanium in 10' of sea water.
                Being from a cold climate you can switch the central heating off and save a few bob and best of all you can read in bed at night without the light on

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by banjoallen
                  Why much older?Can't keep up?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    Why much older?Can't keep up?
                    Not with a 20 something.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      ...and best of all you can read in bed at night
                      No, John. He won't be reading in bed.

P.S. Instead, Black Forest will make photos of her standing of his new saw.
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM.
                      Mike
                      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        If he has grab her, Russian women are brilliant, they come with fork truck licence, heavy goods licence, can weld titanium in 10' of sea water.
                        You left out, "without a torch," they can weld with nothing but their temper. Get them really mad and fusion of hydrogen is a possibility. I would rather play with an extension cord with male plugs on both ends, it would be safer.

Comment

He asked me if it was true that in America there was a car built around WW2 that could be fixed with one wrench. I told I didn't know of one.

Any of you ever hear of such a car?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                          X