snapon has moved to china

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snapon has moved to china

looks like snapon will lose its popularity now that its going to be produced in china for now on

That was years ago.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

snapon didn't move to china. like everybody else, they probably recognise it's going to be a very large market for auto mechanic tools. so why not make some there. they still make most of their stuff here.

Comment

There is an old saying in journalism: If your mother says she loves you, check it out. So don't accept the first rumors you hear.

The truth about Snap-On can be learned by a simple net search. From a reputable source: "Snap-On has 26 factories and sells 65,000 items in 130 countries. The Kenosha, Wisc., company handles its foreign-exchange exposure by manufacturing about three-quarters of its inventory close to where it's sold, in what Pagliari calls 'natural offsets.'"

Here's a link to the whole article: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chi...-on-2011-06-21

And in a second article, the CEO is quoted:
        "We do not chase cheap labor," Mr. Pinchuk declared. "We are not in China to produce products to bring back here." When Snap-on ceased manufacturing in Kenosha, he added, "zero of those products were moved to Asia. Eighty percent of what we sell off the trucks comes from the USA, and will stay that way. We like our US factories very well, thank you.

Asked about manufacturers that have moved production to China, Mr. Pinchuk said, "I think they're making a mistake. When you ship jobs abroad, you're losing faith in your people." Perhaps such firms "haven't looked as hard at the quality of their people, and getting the most out of them."

Here is a link to that article: http://www.carthage.edu/news/carthag...hage-march-15/

Comment

Careful airsmith, people tend to be fanatical about SO and wont accept facts if given to them. As said earlier, SO has been making tools overseas for years. Like every other company, they play a ton of games with their claims of COO and marketing. My source on this - a friend who works in Kenosha, not the internet or a "reputable source."

Regarding widgets manufactured overseas to be close to their customer base - my brother has an excavator that was manufactured in Japan by a US company under that same logic. He is half a world away from Japan, so tell me again that it was manufactured there to be close to the customer base. Seriously, I need a good chuckle. Companies dont outsource for their customer base, they do so because it reduces manufacturing costs.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

SnapOn manufactures under other company names in China. A number of years ago they bought a major tool company that already had factories in China. I would have to look up the name but that company now supplies a lot of SO's products. They used to have a large American flag on their web site but several years ago they removed it, probably because it would mislead consumers into thinking their products were all American made.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I live in Kenosha, drive past Snap-On almost daily.

....still waiting for the "scratch & dent sale".

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer

Regarding widgets manufactured overseas to be close to their customer base - my brother has an excavator that was manufactured in Japan by a US company under that same logic. He is half a world away from Japan, so tell me again that it was manufactured there to be close to the customer base. Seriously, I need a good chuckle. Companies don't outsource for their customer base, they do so because it reduces manufacturing costs.
                yes and no, with strap on's margins they can ship anywhere, however there are other strategic reasons for having a global presence. With gross profit at 46% you'd think quality, protecting the brand, would be the main consideration....not carving costs out via outsourcing. Why do you say outsourcing - aren't these Snap ons plants in China? afaik they are NOT outsourcing, that would be insane given how critical quality is to the margins.

For the last 20 years most efforts have focused on making being a customer of China work, and its proven to be surprising difficult. The next 20 years will be trying to figure out how to be a supplier. China holds the potential to be the worlds largest market - if leading brands like Strap On want to sell there, and they do, they had better be on the ground else they will never learn the market and how to do business there.

Snap on has plants all over the world - with a local team part of the culture, language, laws etc you'll do far better with marketing and market share than importing your stuff. The biggest part about being global, meaning you view all the world as your potential customers is that you are immersed in each market.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Hoffman
                  I live in Kenosha, drive past Snap-On almost daily.
                  If you've seen that Snap-On factory tour I posted from How It's Made, the factory is almost completely automated. Not sure what the savings would be, other than regulatory stuff.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
                    looks like snapon will lose its popularity now that its going to be produced in china for now on
                    If you hurry you can catch up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                      Like every other company, they play a ton of games with their claims of COO and marketing. My source on this - a friend who works in Kenosha, not the internet or a "reputable source."
                      Justanengineer: The sources I listed quote directly from Nick Pinchuck, the CEO. There would be no benefit to him to lie. Such lies would be uncovered and undermine both his and his firm's credibility. If you are suggesting he is lying, please say so in so many words, and if you have evidence to back that up, post it.
                      Last edited by gregl; 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        SnapOn manufactures under other company names in China. A number of years ago they bought a major tool company that already had factories in China. I would have to look up the name but that company now supplies a lot of SO's products. They used to have a large American flag on their web site but several years ago they removed it, probably because it would mislead consumers into thinking their products were all American made.

snapon clone tools have been made in china for years from recent news snap on them self are going to have everything done in china for now on , which is not all all a surprise.. interesting how so many US companys dont make their own stuff any more and more and more of them are going for the switch , consumers how ever once they find out alot get pissed off and try and defend the almighty USA name but to no avail its no longer made in the usa , answer to why this is , would be simple its cheaper to have it made in china , but part of this cheap out tends to also yeild in poorer quaility items being manfuctured do the the us buyer that wants to pay less, henc you get what you pay for is more and more real every day ...

its makes me happy every time someone else takes there business to china or twain,,

Comment

snapon clone tools have been made in china for years
                          "Clone" tools are stolen designs and have nothing to do with Snap-On.

from recent news snap on them self are going to have everything done in china for now on,
                          And what recent news is that? Do you have a link to such facts?

Snap-On is closing their Kenosha and Mount Carmel, Ill. plants but this production is not being moved to China! It is being moved to existing US plants in Milwaukee Wis and Johnson City Tn, NOT to China.

Snap-On has, and a really bad move IMO, started to import some cheap Chinese junk and put the Snap-On name on it but these items are in addition to their established line of tools. Doing this will eventually ruin them I believe but they have not moved their main line of tools to China (yet!) and in fact they clearly say they have no intentions of doing so. It may happen before long but at this point any speculation that they are moving to China is purely unsubstantiated rumor.

Comment

"There would be no benefit to him to lie"

There is a HUGE benefit to him, if he can convince his US base that all of the products they are buying are still "made in USA" then he gets to stay in business. They second the die hard base finds out that is not the case they are done for.

"Strap-on" now THAT is funny, and exactly the way I feel when handing my money over for their very over-rated product.
                            James Kilroy

Comment

Mcgyver - Outsourcing may be technically the wrong word, but that is a matter of semantics. As I am sure you are aware, until recent years, many companies operating in China and other overseas locations werent allowed to operate alone - they had to partner with a local company. I honestly dont care to take the time to research if that is the case in this instance, but that is the reason why I got in the habit of using that particular word several years ago. Also, to me, any time an American company chooses to export jobs overseas its outsourcing. Yes, having a presence overseas makes sense from a marketing standpoint, but I would hardly say that is reason enough to manufacture there as well.

gregl - Im not suggesting he is lieing outright. He is simply walking the same fine line that many other corporations do daily in this country. If you would like some proof of such I would point to his statement from your earlier post "We are not in China to produce products to bring back here." They may not be in China to produce products for the US, but that is what they are doing. They admit to quite a few items being manufactured there that are available off the truck locally here. I am simply suggesting that they do this much more than many are willing to believe, thus the reason that the Made in USA is rapidly disappearing from the tools themselves.

Another interesting one I am curious and suspicious of is on the JH Williams tool site http://www.jhwilliamstoolgroup.com/Content/16.htm For those curious, classic Williams tools have a special place in my heart for various reasons, and naturally I collect them. Over the past few Xmases, relatives have gotten me probably 20 different varieties of the new Williams tools (against my wishes), all of which were made in SW Asia and are labelled appropriately on the tool. With that experience in mind, from the Williams site, "JH Williams Tool Group is now SnapOn Industrial Brands." Every new Williams tool I have was made somewhere in Asia. Does that mean SO's industrial line is now as well?
                              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Working...
                              X