Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help... Any of you know where I can get a hot water platen heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... Any of you know where I can get a hot water platen heater?

Hello all, I am currently involved in a project where I need to heat a ruled die to Ultrasonicly weld Polyethalyne sheeting. The die requires a controled temperatue of approximatly 90 degrees centigrade. This need to be accomplished by circulating hot water thru channels in the die. All was going great with this project up untill I tried to source a small hot water heater with hot temerature control and circulator pump. The heater tank needs to be around two gallons and the only temp control is to maintain a sepoint temerature. Open loop as far as the actual platen temperatue goes and the circulating pump will allways be running. Any help on this on is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of you in advance,

Ray (hoof)

Water Pump

maybe you could make one with an aquarium pump and a hotplate from Goodwill or other thrift store.

Comment

it wouldent be difficult to use a hot water heater and a central heating pump in the return, these things are about 2.5Kw and should hold temp fairly well with the built in thermostat, if not then you may have to stick a temperature controller and type k or somthing in the system to get better control, it would be like a mould chiller, but hot!
      mark

Comment

washing machine heater element .

they are usually about £10 on ebay

.combined with a thermostat
        ...for a thermostat ...you can use a kenlow one off a car ...kenlow make electric fan kits for cars with an adjustable stat with separate probe ...ideally suited because it covers the range of temp you require

here
        http://holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=080.253

you may have to use a relay with these ...a relay that works the opposite way

all the best.markj
        Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Would a small point of use demand water heater work? You would have to modify the temp cutoff but it might be a good starting point.

bob

Comment

What you describe is a Thermolator.

http://www.conairgroup.com/silverstr...es/#page=tab-1

They can be purchased new, used or as others have suggested, built from scratch.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

You should be able to pick up a Neslab heated water circulator pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                What you describe is a Thermolator.

http://www.conairgroup.com/silverstr...es/#page=tab-1

They can be purchased new, used or as others have suggested, built from scratch.
                +1...I worked in the injection molding business for almost 20 years and we used thermolators to heat molds. You can find used ones on EBay.

Comment

We use to use platen heaters at work die casting metal parts. Those things are expensive I beleive we paid about $800 for a 5KW unit 15 years ago. They circulate hot 400 degree oil and the temperature is accurate to about plus or minus 1 degree.

I have built my own platten heater using a hot water heating element and a Fuji controller. The Fuji controller operates on 120 VAC. The relay contacts are rated 3 amps so you need to use the controller to turn on a relay and use the relay to turn on the Hot Water heating element. Fuji controllers are accurate to about .5 degrees F. Be sure you get the book with it. It has about 200 options in the way it can be set. Make your own thermocouple with the thermocouple wire just strip the end and twist them together then clamp on a Stake On Wire termimal this will save you money you don't need to spend $30 on a factor thermocouple. It MUST be thermocouple wire just plane old wire will not make a thermocouple. I quit buying factory thermocouples 20 years ago making my own probably saved me several 1000 dollars over 20 years. I almost forgot to mention the Fuji controller is made for 2 thermocouples. Duel thermocouples are a safety if one goes bad the other one is the back up safety.

Fuji on ebay. #1 http://compare.ebay.com/like/1304736...Types&var=sbar

Fuji on ebay #2 http://cgi.ebay.com/Fuji-Fahrenheit-...-/390313819082

Those old time thermostates like what you have in a kitchen oven are accurate to about plus or minus 10 degrees. How accurate to you need your temperature controlled depends on what type controller you need to buy. If this works for your application than use this.

Last edited by gary350; 07-19-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Use any PID control(I use Omega) and small cartridge heaters you can get from Mcmaster. Bury them them in a block of alum and attach the thermocouple to your PID. You can do it just like you said but I like to avoid the water part when I can. I do this all the time, I do lots of plastic welding. You CAN make all your own stuff...but I have found if you just need to get to where you need to be, its easier to buy what you need and spend the time(and it will be more than you think!) to get the process right. I totally appreciate saving the $ but if you are charging for your time and materials saving $1000+ over years is not worth it. On the other hand if I am doing this for me with no $ I do exactly what gary350 says!

Get the thermocouple from anywhere but I try to get as much as possible from one source, Mcmaster or Omega.

Best,

Paul

Comment

Thank you all for the advice and direction. It was a tremendous help. Found what I needed on eBay and I should be off and running in no time.

Kind regards

Ray

Comment

I was going to chime in but it appears you found what you need. I been making electric heaters, (cast aluminum platens included) controls, T/C's for many years. I won't plug our company but the likes of Grainger and McMaster do distribute many of our stock items and if you can design around them will be your cheapest route.

Comment

Originally posted by hoof
                          Thank you all for the advice and direction. It was a tremendous help. Found what I needed on eBay and I should be off and running in no time.

Kind regards

Ray
                          Can you point us to what you ended up getting? It might be useful for someone in the future.

bob

Comment

Working...
                          X