Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phones and "press 2 for...."

Stupid question....

I've had a cell phone for years, a verizon Samsung basic phone.

It does not work well with the "press 1 for" "press 2 for" menu selection systems in common use, most of the time trying to use those terminates the call and the phone does something else. Once in a blue moon it actually works.

Is there a standard way to handle that? the phone manual never said anything about it.

Seems that there should be a way to handle that, those menus are so common.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Sorry I cant help, never heard of that problem.

My pet phone peeve of the week is similar. Trying to navigate menus with a touch screen phone is definitely not fun. I dont have real "man hands," but my fingers are still too big for the touch screen most of the time. Makes it real interesting (and funny for others) when Im 20 mins and 8 menus into a call and hit the wrong button accidentally.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I look after a community gate that uses the phone to let people in, and I get a few reports of the same problem - it's usually traced to very short dtmf. Some phones will put out the tones as long as you hold the key; others only put out a "blip".

Any way to adjust the length of the dtmf?

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
        I look after a community gate that uses the phone to let people in, and I get a few reports of the same problem - it's usually traced to very short dtmf. Some phones will put out the tones as long as you hold the key; others only put out a "blip".

Any way to adjust the length of the dtmf?
        Dunno.... That may not be the whole story...

What often happens is that I want "1 for english" and the phone decides I wanted to check voice mail, so it terminates the call. Hitting "1" seems to be the universal 'check voice mail" shortcut code.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Try going into tools and editing the speed numbers so 1 thru 5 aren't used. You should be able to set your preferred number to check voicemail and missed calls, etc. Make sure the lowest ones aren't used for anything and it should work.

Good luck, phones and computers are not my friends.

Ben

Comment

I can turn OFF the speed numbers, I suppose, since I refuse to use voicemail on the cell..... I have had voicemail before, and I find it annoying. I have my phone with me, and if people call I answer.

text I ignore, if someone texts me * I am already ticked because they just cost me another quarter or whatever, and voicemail I WILL NOT put up with. I don't need the buttons, and may do just what you said.

* Text...... use the freakin email.... I read that.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

If you don't want texting, turn it off. Before my provider (T-mobile) would turn it off on request, I was able to specify in my initial setup "unless the input message matches [insert a lot of random characters and numbers] then don't accept. Worked for me for years.

Comment

that shouldn't be happening when you are on a call unless you actually go through the menus and set it to do that (at least on all the phones that I've used/worked on, we do some mobile phone development and programming at my office).

I'd be pretty surprised if it was caused by the DTMF tones being too short, I've played with automating them down to less than 1/4 second and still didn't have problems. I would actually be less surprised if it was that you're holding it down too long, but I guess you could experiment. Programming their length should only be an issue with smart phones that play them at a set length.

Comment

A quarter of a second is really a pretty long DTMF tone. Most phones let the user select 'long' or 'short' tones in setup. This allows one to tap the key and still generate a "long" tone. Checking for that option is probably worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                  X