Shuttle preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle preparation

Someone send me this link to a time lapse video showing some of the activities preparing the shuttle for launch. I thought some might enjoy if it has not been posted before. Amazing use of some large machinery. Warning some sound at the end.
    I was fortunate enough to have witnessed a night launch of one of the shuttle missions. It was almost beyond belief that man could devise such a complicated powerful machine.

Thanks for posting that,shame it's coming to an end
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Like ants scurying around the queen.

Comment

Interesting, but funny at the same time. Yeah, like ants scurrying around- I wonder how many got run over by the trucks, and how many got squished when those big doors slammed shut, and how many got run over as they rolled the shuttle out to the launch pad-

Hoisting it up vertically on cables seems a bit redneck, but hey it works. Must be quite a sight to be there for a night launch.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I can't believe that I have lived to witness the end of the manned space program in the US. Yes, there are some "private" efforts. It remains to be seen how that works out. The fact is that the US is now without manned launch capability and will remain so for some time, perhaps forever as a government. Astronauts are leaving the program in droves. It will be much harder to get funding for something you don't have than for something you do. Once funding is cut, restoring it will be nearly impossible in today's fiscal climate.

I have never been a fan of the shuttle since it represents a worst choice replacement of the manned program that was axed for political expediency in the 60s. However, it did keep the manned program alive, after a fashion and at enormous cost. If the original program had been kept alive we would have had bases on the Moon in the 80's and would already have been to Mars by now.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I think everyone agrees that pulling the plug on the California based shuttles a long time ago was a good idea.

Comment

I was meaning the X program which was cancelled just before they were to begin experimenting with the X20 and orbital flight with a fly up/fly back spacecraft. They already made sub orbital flight with the X-15.

Comment

No offense,, but the "BILLIONS" of dollars spent on the space shuttle COULD have done a lot to get things reorganized here on earth FIRST.

#1. Everyone COULD of had FULL FREE health care.

#2. HUGE advancements could have been discovered and made to eliminate the water and air pollution problems our kids are going to inherit.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  I can't believe that I have lived to witness the end of the manned space program in the US.
                  It leaves me dumbfounded too. I worked on Saturn V at Boeing (New Orleans) in 1963, and on Ranger 7 at JPL in 1964 when the space program was just beginning. It's hard to accept that American involvement is over, and that we have no vehicle which can reach the Space Station.

Until you mentioned it I'd almost forgotten about the X-20 Dyna-Soar, which my father worked on during his Boeing career.

I'm not sure we would have been able to get to Mars, though. The robots did a fine job there, saving us the trouble.
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

The cost of even the very expensive shuttle program was less than $100 per year per taxpayer. The cost of the astronomy programs including the Hubble is less than $5 per year. The Hubble would never have been operational without the manned program. Even if it had been delivered to orbit in proper working condition it would have lasted only about 5 years without human repairs. The amount of knowledge gained from the Hubble alone is incalculable and every single dollar spent on it was spent here on Earth.

BTW Allan, Mars exploration has been the least successful of all the exploratory programs. The failure rate of all vehicles sent there is about 66%.
                    Last edited by Evan; 07-20-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      BTW Allan, Mars exploration has been the least successful of all the exploratory programs. The failure rate of all vehicles sent there is about 66%.
                      One of those failures resulted from a confusion regarding units of thrust (lbf vs. newtons). What were they thinking, nobody uses newtons.
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                        No offense,, but the "BILLIONS" of dollars spent on the space shuttle COULD have done a lot to get things reorganized here on earth FIRST.

#2. HUGE advancements could have been discovered and made to eliminate the water and air pollution problems our kids are going to inherit.

hahahaha. Nothing is free, ever. Look at medicare/medicaid and see how much that costs. Drop in the bucket compared to NASA.

Much has been learned through NASA and space programs about things that effect what goes on here. In the past year alone we are finding out how much solar weather is linked to what happens on the surface, from earthquakes to climate.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                          One of those failures resulted from a confusion regarding units of thrust (lbf vs. newtons). What were they thinking, nobody uses newtons.

erm... only the rest of the world.......

seems the Russians won the space race after all....... I wonder how many astro's will go over there?

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch

Sasquatch,
                            I'm certainly not trying to single you out and I really can see your points. There's always someplace better that money could or should be spent. I'd imagine that there were more than a few who thought bank rolling Cristopher Columbus was a bad investment too. Like it or not Military,Air,Space spending has resulted in direct results in our everyday lives. Medical procedures, Computers, CNC, Areospace metals, The technology in your car, Non stick frying pans and other endless examples that could be listed. The youngest member here won't live to see it, But to be blunt the human race has gotten so good at surviving and breeding that the world we live on today is pretty finite. To be totally honest, If the human race wants to avoid extinction we have no choice but to expand beyond where we live now. As depressing as it is I really think that the last one to turn the lights off on this rock we call earth will be leaving a used up,totally polluted, and overheated garbage dump.

I personaly think the U.S. is making a huge mistake killing the shuttle program without having anything to replace it today. We will live to regret that decision. This is just my opinion so obviously your all free to agree or disagree.

Pete
                            Last edited by uncle pete; 07-20-2011, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Here is a 360 degree view of the shuttle's interior that you can manipulate.
                              Too cool!

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discover...236/index.html

Ed P

Comment

Working...
                              X