replacement brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement brake pads

Last time I changed brake pads on my 2004 Subaru Forester I bought OEM parts from the dealership. These cost $179 for front and rear pads, much higher than I was expecting to pay.

It's time to change them again. Any recommendations for good pads at a cheaper price?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

I got ceramic pads for a 2002 Accord from AutoZone for about $120, they stop well, last longer and don't scream like most aftermarket pads.

Joe

Comment

Go online to several of the usual auto parts stores like Autozone, Advance, etc. They usually have several grades to choose from. I usually pick something in the middle. The cheapest seem to squeek and grab after awhile. I replaced the pads on my Kia van earlier this year and it came to about $100 for all four wheels. The tiny rear pads cost just as much as the larger front pads but what can you do?

Tom
      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I never buy OEM brake parts unless that is the only source.
        I have had really good luck with rotors and pads from jobber shops.
        In the USA I believe Pet Boys or NAPA will have rotors as well as a choice of pads for a 2004 vehicle. And cheap too.

You might want to look at a Subaru site though to find out if there are issues with your model. Sometimes disc brakes squeal and sometimes, OEM is the only way to fix that.
        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Brake pads for Subbies

Rock Auto, on the iNet. A blatant recommendation.

--G

Comment

Try advanceautoparts.com get 15%off today & $50 off a future $100 order. Code JL15. Also free delv to home or store. I use this even if I pick up at the store, the prices are cheaper online. I put a coil pack on wifes van that was $80-$115 every where & it ended up costing $55 & I got a coupon for $50 off a $100 order. Also customer service line is very good & open 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido
              Rock Auto, on the iNet. A blatant recommendation.
              --G
              The prices are rock bottom http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php. But I'd like some suggestions as to which brand -- they sell dozens.
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Raybestos-----Bendix-----Service grade, semi metalic, soft in regards to the ceramic stuff but oh, so easy on the discs.

--G

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                  Last time I changed brake pads on my 2004 Subaru Forester I bought OEM parts from the dealership. These cost $179 for front and rear pads, much higher than I was expecting to pay.

It's time to change them again. Any recommendations for good pads at a cheaper price?

dealers always over charge big time , and they sell you the bottome junk all the time to , aftermaket parts and go top end you get what you pay for for sure most of the time , goto the dealer you pay top dollar for junk

i do my brakes every 3 years needed or not, and i always get top end stuff for 3 times less then the OEM dealer junk...

Comment

Originally posted by Guido
                    Raybestos-----Bendix-----Service grade, semi metalic, soft in regards to the ceramic stuff but oh, so easy on the discs.
                    Bendix sounds okay.

Raybestos has a connotation of asbestos. Do they still use that in brake pads?
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                      ...Raybestos has a connotation of asbestos. Do they still use that in brake pads?
                      No, not in many years.

Comment

Originally posted by dfw5914
                        No, not in many years.
                        Yeah, well, I should have figured that out. But the name raised suspicions.

What about squealers? My OEM pads didn't have them, and when I replaced them last time I was shocked to discover than one of the pads was virtually down to the bare metal. Will Raybestos or Bendix come with wear indicators?
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Some do some don't, just have to open the box and have a look. Most likely, if not on O.E., then replacements wont either.

Comment

Subaru,Honda,Kia? Why don't you guys buy an American car? The brake problems are not that different as are replacing the other perishable things that go with owning a car. I know there are many places where you don't have a lot of choice about what you buy, but you can keep SOME of your money in this country in this instance. MAYBE, we could even create some new ,decent paying jobs here. Bob Fisher.

Comment

I get quite a bit of the Car Quest brake pads, The premium ones, usually a better grade than OEM. I have been using O'riely's a few times lately also.

I try to avoid ceramic pads unless the vehicle calls for it. The reason is they are quite a bit harder on rotors than the bi-metal pads are. I put ceramic pads on a 2004 explorer recently, mostly because the rotors were at the minimum thickness and will need to be replaced next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X