A beak iron I made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A beak iron I made

This is a beak iron I made especially to fit into the hardie hole in my anvil,thus the straight shank,rather than the tapered ones normally seen. It jams right into place.

It is made from 01 steel,hardened to about 55 R.C..

The shank is mild steel,welded on.

The round beak,and the top of the square one,are highly polished,as I made it for use on silver work.

It's called a "Bick Iron" George.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Bick is a corruption of the word becca which is Old English for "pickaxe". Becca is derived from the Latin Beccus which means beak.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Blacksmiths call it a "Bick Iron" Evan. George called it the right name when he posted it on PracticalMachinist and SawMill Creek:

A bick iron I made
        http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...i-made-212667/

Bick irons are similar to anvils, but they have no base. The end of a bick iron is commonly driven into a wood block or tapered stake holder for use. The bick iron shown this month is secured in the hardy hole of an anvil and used for working small pieces of steel or iron hot.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Again,something I was assumed to not know,so another point could be scored. Bick is slang as you said,Evan. Beak is really correct. I have been around blacksmiths for 39 years.

If I wanted to use colloquial terms,I could have.

P.S. If you know I used the term "bick iron" already,on the P.M. site,why are you acting like I didn't know the term? Either term is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
            P.S. If you know I used the term "bick iron" already,on the P.M. site,why are you acting like I didn't know the term?
            So why did you post it with the correct name on all the other forums, and used an obscure term for it here?
            Last edited by lazlo; 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I have been around blacksmiths for 39 years.
              Have you done any blacksmithing?

Comment

So why did you post it with the correct name on all the other forums, and used an obscure term for it here?
                No one cares.

But I do enjoy seeing the craftsmanship.

Tom
                Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Of course I have done blacksmithing. I was the Master Toolmaker in a very select group of craftsmen for many years.

Do I have to post pictures of my anvil,tongs,and Whisper Daddy gas furnace to prove it to you?

You seem to have no eye for fine workmanship,and just want to pick it apart,don't you?

Comment

Good grief!!!

What's all the "Bick ering" about???

Maybe I missed something, but unless a lot of folks already had it in for gwilson, I think that some on this forum need something real to do...besides pick apart someone else's work which they posted here.

Soon, I'm going to be afraid to post anything if everyone is just going to pick it apart.
                    VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4
                      No one cares.
                      Actually, a lot of people do.

George storms into the Home Shop Machinist Forum, calls everyone "amateurs", and accuses the authors of the Home Shop Magazine articles as "those who can't do, write articles."

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...=48783&page=5&

Originally posted by George Wilson
                      Some people like to write articles. They take pictures through every step of a project,spending a lot of time doing that. Then,they write an article.

I think it's kind of like the old saying "those who can't do teach".

It irks me that amateurs are gotten to write articles so they can see their name in print,but their wrong information misleads those who do not know better.
                      Then, to support his claims of superiority over the amateurs, he posts these threads.

I suggest if George is going to be so free with his criticism here, he'd better be prepared for a critique of his work.
                      Last edited by lazlo; 07-27-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

looks like its made to penetrate where the base of the scull ends and the spine begins

lethal ..me thinks ..like the knives

all the best.markj

Comment

Quit picking. Beautiful work, Where do you get your letter stamps and how do you keep them in line? Peter
                          The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

David,I agree. I have reported Lazlo's behavior to Mr. Bulliss.
                            That's funny, since you've been publicly warned by George twice about being belligerent to the contributors here. The first time in that thread I posted above.

Comment

Oldbrock,I make a lot of my stamps,but those you can see were made by Buckeye Engraving. They have made many stamps for me as toolmaker,and my replacement,and my wife's jewelry business.

I don't know what their prices may be by now,but the G.Wilson was something like $75.00 years ago. It isn't worth it to hand make full names when you can get them very perfectly made reasonably.

Comment

Working...
                              X