"cutting" oil for brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "cutting" oil for brass

Some say dry, some say don't use sulpherized which indicates to me, "use lube". Opinions, please?

Many will tell you that Brass is self lubricating, and this has quite a bit of merit. In some cases I will use some coolants for tapping, even sulphurized oil for this, cleaning it out with alcohol afterwards. I have also used such products as Tap magic, Edge Lube solid lube, and even light soaps or dish detergent for turning, boring, and threading brass.

I have used sulphurized many times on brass, have not had staining problems, but am aware it does happen. I do however, tend to clean it up and sand the surface afterwards.

There is one trick with Brass I will warn you about, it is not cutting, but preserving the finish afterwards. Some people have told me to spray the brass after buffing with laquer to prevent tarnishing. Problem is, one scratch and the scretch tarnishes and spreads under the laquer, you have to remove the clear laquer afterwards. It also peels in some cases, looks poor.

More replys needed, i am also very interested in this topic for ideas!!!!!!!!!!!
    CCBW, MAH

Comment

Sulphurised cutting oil can stain brass. Other than that, there is no reason not to use cutting fluids. Brass is freecutting, and there is no reason to use cutting fluid either.

As far as laquering or enameling brass to protect the shine, not much can be don to avoid that problem.

As with any surface treatment, the most important part deals with the preparation of the surface. Make sure it is clean and degreased. Do not handle with bare hands etc.

Tougher finishes, such as some epoxies may hold up better, but steal some of the shine. It is a tradeoff. It helps to thin the finish, and keep the coat as thin as possible too.
      Jim H.

Comment

Beware that sulfur and its compunds can lead
        to intergranular corrosion. This could lead
        to a failure on a highly stressed part.

------------------
        Neil
        Neil Peters

When on the hunt, a broken part is better than no part at all.

Comment

Working...
        X