• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something new coming to market?

Saw this on the tube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzkt...eature=related
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Yes that a real cool machine.
    From what I understand Dave started Fadal so he knows a bit about machines.;-)
    I got a price quote a while ago from him and it was very nicely priced.
    Now all I need to do is make some money and some floor space.
    Thanks for reminding me about his great machine.
    Dave

Comment

Very nice!

Yeah, Dave is the 'Da' in "Fadal"

I'm really impressed with the simplicity of structural design -- the Z axis is 6", thick wall chromoly. The base he said was 10" x 6" chromoly tube.

I shot Dave an email inquiring about prices -- that would be the perfect size machine for me...
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Mine sharing what the cost were?

-SD:

Comment

PM me for price info I got.
          Since everyone seems interested.
          Here is what I was sent. I hope Dave or George does not mind.

Travels: X 14.0, Y 8.0, Z 9.0
          Axis Drives: Brushless dc servo's, closed loop
          Rapid Speeds: X Y 500 IPM, Z 400 IPM
          Spindle RPM: 100 to 6500
          Spindle HP: 3 hp
          Power required : 3hp 220 VAC Single Phase 5 amp. With 1 1/2 hp, 120 VAC 10 amp
          Weight: 1100 lbs
          Spindle Taper: R8
          Foot Print: 45 inches wide, 40 inches deep
          ATC: 8 Tools, air blast thru spindle, spindle orientation, 7 second tool change.

Machine comes with 8 Tools. Addtional tools $XXX each.

Tools in stock:
          3/16
          1/4
          3/8
          1/2
          5/8
          3/4
          DB-200 coolet chuck
          Jacobs taper
          Floating tap holder, DB -200 up to 3/8

I have no affiliation with the seller. It looks cool.
          You will have to find his contact info.

Dave

Comment

Real nice machine

question: why do the specs above say "Spindle Taper: R8"

Comment

I think he is using one of the quick change R8 options. Basically it has the same taper section as the R8 but it is cut off there and has a draw stud.

Comment

Is he looking to go into production with these at some point? Looking at the videos, he's been messing with this concept for a couple years at least.

Last I heard, he was talking ~$12-15k, which compares pretty favorably to the Tormach, which doesn't have an enclosure or closed-loop drives. Mikini is also a contender, but they don't have an ATC or anywhere near as many machines in the field yet. I've said before, if he was anyone else, I'd be very dubious of his ability to hit that price point, but he does know something about building machines, so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
                  Real nice machine

question: why do the specs above say "Spindle Taper: R8"
                  I watched the video, and He calls it an R8 while narrating also.
                  I'm confused, but I want one. Joe, order two of them and I'll help install Yours ....for the other one

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                    It is -- David came up with a really clever R8 quick-switch system with a stud. He shows it in detail on one of his other YouTube videos.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                      I'm confused, but I want one. Joe, order two of them and I'll help install Yours ....for the other one

Steve
                      Writing the check as we speak Buddy

The machine was great - but I kept asking myself while watching the video were those tool paths designed to show off the machine's rigidity or efficiently cut metal ?

But ya - when he loaded up the big ol Fly cutter I kind of cringed

Comment

By far, the nicest "homemade" cncs Ive ever seen, but considering the creator, its pretty obvious why. This definitely gives me the itch to try and create one of my own...
                        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Very impressive. (to me at least)

Did anyone else take note of the casual comment with respect to time? 6 - 8 weeks from drawing the first line in CAD to working, breathing, chip making monster?

I realize he was involved in a commercial enterprise before ( Fadal is reputedly one of the best), but still.... 8 weeks??!? Takes me longer to get stuff bought and shipped to site for my latest work assignment!

Makes monkeys of many since he made this all out of machined weldments

Maybe when I win the lottery - sigh

Plasma table would still be first though....
                          Last edited by camdigger; 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM.
                          Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                            Very nice!

Yeah, Dave is the 'Da' in "Fadal"

I'm really impressed with the simplicity of structural design -- the Z axis is 6", thick wall chromoly. The base he said was 10" x 6" chromoly tube.

I shot Dave an email inquiring about prices -- that would be the perfect size machine for me...
                            Why on earth would you use chromoly for a lathe?
                            Its no more rigid then any other steel, but does cost a LOT more and is harder to work with.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                              Why on earth would you use chromoly for a lathe
                              The ease of heat treat?? Just a neophyte guess here.

Comment

Working...
                              X