Repair on coffee maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair on coffee maker

I have a coffee maker that was made in Italy. The machine started to do strange things. I called the service firm to come out and fix the machine. He told me that he could not get parts for the machine until the 1st of September because the factory was closed for holidays until then.

So I opened up the machine and started to look for the problem. It turned out the machine had three problems. A check valve was not functioning correctly. A solenoid valve was not working correctly and the water pump was not working.

First cleaned the check valve and replaced an O-ring. That worked.
    Second I checked the coil on the solenoid valve and it was bad. I was able to get another coil from the service people but the seat for the valve was not good. I chucked it up in the lathe and cleaned up the seat. Put it all back together and the valve worked fine.

The coil that drove the water pump was bad. Called the service people for a replacement. No luck. They only had a 220volt coil not the 24volt I needed.

Then I had a brilliant moment. Siemens PLC!!!! So I took the PLC out of my sheep shearing machine and wrote a simple program to take the 24 volt input for the original coil and close an output relay to run the 220 volt coil.

Stuffed the works in the back of the machine and had a fully functioning coffee machine.

The wife and guests were all very happy that I was able to fix the coffee machine last night!

Comment by wife,"Maybe building that sheep shearing machine was not such a bad idea after all!"
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

why bother with the PLC just bung in a 24 relay ( coil volts ) and use that to switch the 220v coil , or am I being to simple

Stuart

Comment

Saved yourself $20.00! Either that of that is some coffee pot. Ours is a Black and Decker and cost $20.00

Not raining on your party. I know the feeling when once and a while a repair goes well. Sounds like your pot might be a bit more sophisticated then ours.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Yes, my pot is a little bit more sophisticated than a 20$ coffee pot. To the tune of about 5000$ more sophisticated!

Hey, I just learned how to use a PLC. So that is what came to mind.

I have no clue about electronics or electricity.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Sure would like to see pics of the $5000.00 coffee pot.

Comment

It is one of those machines that grinds the coffee for every cup. You press a button for 10 different types of coffee or hot chocolate. It has its own water supply and milk storage.

Press a button and get perfect Cappuccino or coffee with milk, etc. etc..

Here in Germany they/we like good coffee.

American coffee is like making love in a canoe!

Comment

What?? You don't like making love in a canoe?????

Geez, you need to get out more,,, the best method is making love on a surfboard, or one of those air mattress things.

NOW,,, that takes talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (WHICH I DON'T HAVE!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                What?? You don't like making love in a canoe?????
                What I think he meant was " it's f├╝cking near water "

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Sir John gets the prize!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                    American coffee is like making love in a canoe!
                    Are you, by any chance, a fan of David Sedaris' books?
                    Stuart de Haro

Comment

Black Forest - Excellent.

Too many years in Germany... so I just love real beer and real coffee.

My front loading washing machine was really a Siemens on sold by a different brand name. Motor failed. Quick inspection discovered a worn out brush for the motor. Turns out in Europe the brushes are easily replaced, for USA market the brush holder was riveted to the motor. Removed rivets, taped threads for screws.

Quick look in the work shop found starter brushes for my Land Cruiser were close. Sanded to size, and fitted to the motor. (Motor replacement is $300 in USA).

Washer back in service an hour later.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                        Ours is a Black and Decker and cost $20.00
                        ????????

Everything Black and Decker make over here, except the vacuum cleaners, sucks.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

picture of coffee maker

It is not pretty but it makes very good coffee.

Also I meant to say 5000 Euro's not dollars. Let's see...that would be about
                          2 million dollars I think!

Comment

That's bloody neat, you CHARGE people for coffee, gotta remember that one.

Comment

Yeah, that way they don't hang around so much or stop by for a free cup of coffee. I get more work done.

Machine is set to just push a button and get coffee. Once in awhile people actually put money in it though. That is a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                              X