Mac OS X Lion -- to upgrade or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X Lion -- to upgrade or wait?

I have not yet upgraded my MacBook from Snow Leopard to Lion. There are reports of a few issues with SketchUp (but nothing major). There is also this article http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...ref=technology describing new security features.

I expect I will upgrade in the next day or so. Anybody done this already?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

I've noticed a lot of compatibility problems being reported on the VMware Fusion forum that suggest some low-level changes have been made. If you have any special hardware (non-Apple) that has driver software I think I'd wait a bit.

I have a USB to serial port adapter, for example, and need it to work because that is the terminal connection for some of the Unix systems I have. Can't afford to experiment with it.

There is no longer Rosetta support so if you still have any PPC apps you've been nursing along they will quit. That includes Microsoft Office for Mac 2008. Office is native x86 but the installer is PPC.

And it is 64-bit only so if you have one of the older 32-bit Macs it won't work for you.

Since I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD I'm in no hurry anyway. Not that I expect it to come out on DVD ever, but I'm not signing up to the Mac Apple Store and become a field terminal to Steve Jobs' empire.

There is supposed to be a USB thumb drive version coming out later this year. If it is available from the brick and glitter stores I'll probably buy it, but with the MAS being the direction Apple is going I won't be staying with them much longer. If a MAS account is required for future OS updates I'll put my Macs on Craigs List.
    Last edited by dp; 07-30-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      There is no longer Rosetta support so if you still have any PPC apps you've been nursing along they will quit. That includes Microsoft Office for Mac 2008. Office is native x86 but the installer is PPC.
      Dennis,

I'm glad I asked. I'm still using Microsoft Office for Mac 2004, so I assume that would not work on Lion either.

I'll now decide if I should upgrade to Office for Mac 2011. It's rather expensive, but there is no attractive substitute for Word or Excel.
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
        Dennis,

I'm glad I asked. I'm still using Microsoft Office for Mac 2004, so I assume that would not work on Lion either.

I'll now decide if I should upgrade to Office for Mac 2011. It's rather expensive, but there is no attractive substitute for Word or Excel.
        Nope - you'll need to upgrade. If you're affiliated with any schools you may qualify for the educational discount.

Comment

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

Never used it, but heard the odd person recommend it.. At least its free (Afaik?)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons

Never used it, but heard the odd person recommend it.. At least its free (Afaik?)
            Both Open Office and Neo Office (which is a fork off the Open Office code base) will read and write MS Office compatible files and will replace MS Office. Both are free and stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons

That project kind of lost its rudder when Sun was bought by Oracle, and shortly after, Oracle gave the entire project to Apache, the web server people. It is considered a dead project by many without a big name behind it, and with competitors like Google and MS Office to compete with, I'm in the dead project category, too. And I used it for years and years.

It is still a solid favorite for dial-up account holders and many educational systems around the world who rely on Ubuntu Linux and other free Linux distributions.

Because of the proliferation of virtual machines I expect Microsoft will stop making a Mac version of Office, expecting instead users to install a Windows virtual machine on their Mac. MSFT gets two licensed products on your system that way.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                If you're affiliated with any schools you may qualify for the educational discount.
                The academic version sells on eBay, much discounted: http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Office...item2c5e352cc0. Can anybody in possession of this item install and use it?
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

The academic version sells on eBay, much discounted: http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Office...item2c5e352cc0. Can anybody in possession of this item install and use it?
                  My scam-O-matic beeper just went off. Check this page and see if they can tell you if that version is legal and licensed.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/e.../eligible.aspx

Comment

I have not yet upgraded my MacBook from Snow Leopard to Lion. There are reports of a few issues with SketchUp (but nothing major). There is also this article http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...ref=technology describing new security features.

I expect I will upgrade in the next day or so. Anybody done this already?
                    Yes its Ok I have been running it for months DP thro to GM Its got a few bugs but hey for the UK price of 20 quid its a steal When you dl it do NOT run it as it self deletes , secondary click on the app and show contents drill down to find the .dmg file its the big un then use DU to restore it to a usb stick then you will have a physical copy to use if needed in the future

BTW I am a developer so I have legal access to the beta software I am running ver 10.7.2 at the moment

PS get plenty of ram 4 gig in the min IMHO I run 12 gig on a i7 2.93 ghz cpu

Stuart

Comment

I am running lion server.

Two things have broken for me. I use VNC through Vine Server and that is broken. The built in apple implementation of VNC has issues with some clients.

Optical Audio AC3/DTS is broken in Lion. It was just broken and fixed for snow leopard so there should be a fix here soon.

Thats about it. Runs faster than the snow leopard. The iOS style autocorrect works nice.

Whats the problem with the app store? It works fine. Same as iTunes. And just burn the disk image of the downloaded file and you have a lion dvd.

You will never see a DVD copy of Lion. Apple has made it clear they think optical drives are obsolete. I can't say I don't agree for the most part. I have had my Mac Mini Server for over a year and not once needed a cd or dvd drive.

Oh, and skip open office and go with Neooffice. Much better UI. Like so many open source software projects the UI sucks on open office.

Comment

same old mac issues then......your shiny new mac will require this shiny new os & these shiny new apps...last years apps... forget it, you need these nice shiny new ones.....

Comment

Originally posted by Blackadder
                          PS get plenty of ram 4 gig in the min IMHO I run 12 gig on a i7 2.93 ghz cpu

Stuart
                          I installed 4 GB RAM several days ago, and noticed a significant improvement with Lightroom.

Where is Tilcestune?
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

google is your friend :-)

its the old name in the doomsday book for Ilkeston midway between Notts and Derby
                            http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/LordsofManor.htm

sorry my bad dyslectic fingers again there should be a h in it oopps
                            Last edited by Blackadder; 07-31-2011, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                              I am running lion server.

Thats about it. Runs faster than the snow leopard. The iOS style autocorrect works nice.
                              Autocorrect drives me bats. It's one of the first things I turn off if I have to use Windows for any reason.

Whats the problem with the app store? It works fine. Same as iTunes. And just burn the disk image of the downloaded file and you have a lion dvd.
                              I dont' do cloud computing. Or play gatekeeper and sheep. Maybe I'm a control freak but I like the idea of going into a brick and glitter store and getting what I want without registering a credit card and signing a EULA I don't agree with. The various Apple stores are not yet integrated, so you have to register your CC with each site and sign agreements at each site - each agreement being subject to change without notice and which you pre-approve. There are a lot of sheeple out there that are happy with the simplified life this brings and that's fine, but I've never been one. And to be honest the closer I get to retirement the less I think I'll be interested in computers and would be happy to run a basic Linux workstation or laptop.

You will never see a DVD copy of Lion. Apple has made it clear they think optical drives are obsolete. I can't say I don't agree for the most part. I have had my Mac Mini Server for over a year and not once needed a cd or dvd drive.
                              With that decision they're already thinking for you, you know. I also have a Mac Mini Server and a RW DVD was the first addon I bought for it, and I've used it a lot. We do the recording and video mixing for my wife's choir and having DVD burning capability is not optional, regardless of what Apple thinks. I'm sure they'd love it if everyone bought into their burgeoning cloud but that is not going to happen. It's bad enough they already decide what you can and cannot do with iTunes and your iPod.

I recently bought a new Mac Book Pro with a 4-core 64-bit processor so I could upgrade to Lion (64-bit only) when it came out. My other MBP is 32-bit and Lion is not available for it. Had I known it would require joining the cloud I'd never have bought the new MBP as there is nothing wrong with the older one's functionality and performance. The second shoe dropped when VMware revealed the next version of Fusion, the virtualizing application, will also be 64-bit only. I don't need Lion, but I do need Fusion so I didn't initially feel too bad about buying the new MBP - then I found out that Fusion will be sold through the Apple store. Screw that. Then I discovered my favorite photo editing product, Pixelmator, will be sold only through the Apple store.

See where this is going? I am incrementally losing control of my computer to Big Apple if I play that game. I have been predicting for some time that the general purpose computer as introduced by the early IBM and variants will disappear and we'll all be running remote terminals dependent upon a for-fee mothership somewhere. The Mac Air is the first built-for-the-cloud computer. iPads and iPhones are the mini versions of that. So, we're there and its sad to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X