Awesome exoskeleton from Japan, machining included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome exoskeleton from Japan, machining included

Yes, it is a 21 meg video. Sorry for those on a slow connection but this is amazing. Made by students and they have the entire thing nailed.

video
    http://youtu.be/IdPpWy_O09k

story
    http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...ronger-funnier

Add some power boost to this and the military will be all over it.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Pretty goofy, but this is what DARPA is spending our tax dollars on:

MILITARY SOLDIER EXOSKELETON
    Defense Exoskeleton for bionic supersoldier

http://www.tacticalwarfightergear.co...xoskeleton.php

Lockheed-Martin has a hydraulic exoskeleton, but the fatal flaw in all these designs is the power pack. Until you have a thermos-sized fusion reactor...
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

military ..how about total control and a police state in the not too distant future .

don't look so good then does it

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
        Pretty goofy, but this is what DARPA is spending our tax dollars on:
        Lockheed-Martin has a hydraulic exoskeleton, but the fatal flaw in all these designs is the power pack. Until you have a thermos-sized fusion reactor...
        I have a 20 pound 2 stroke motor that makes over 4000W (6HP) continiously (Well, Maybe a little more weight after we water cool it or add a proper 200W+ fan for stationary operation..) at only.. reasonable noise levels. Heh.

Then there is RC engines that can produce that in 2 pounds. of course, having to top your soldiers up with nitromethane might be intresting, And having them scream around at 30,000rpm...

PS: really hate those blue circles. Makes the guy look like an Iplod.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Power for the exoskeleton? Internal combustion is still the best for energy density, but...

Any air-breathing engine would be vulnerable to something as simple as a fire extinguisher. CO2 (or any inert gas) would deprive the engine of air, A dry powder cloud would react inside the combustion chamber, not to mention the abrasive/corrosive nature of the residue. Might even clog a well filtered engine.

A steampunk steamsuit might last a little longer after the fire went out. A chemical reaction steam drive like a torpedo engine would not be so vulnerable, but would have a short "sortie" time. Electric drive would similarly be limited.

Probably not a good choice for crowd control.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

There exist micro turbine power plants that fit in a back pack. I recall reading about one in the last couple of years that could easily power an exo like the one the Japanese students built. The primary use for suits like that wouldn't be actual fighting. It would provide the capability to cross even rugged country fast while carrying 2 or 3 times the usual load, most of that being ammunition and heavier weapons.

What the students have demonstrated is excellent control and balance with no active systems at all. That is a major achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
              Any air-breathing Human would be vulnerable to something as simple as a fire extinguisher. CO2 (or any inert gas) would deprive the Human of air, A dry powder cloud would react inside the Lungs, not to mention the irrating/corrosive nature of the residue. Might even clog a well filtered gas mask.

Probably a good choice for crowd control is gases and powders
              ^- fixed that for you.

I wonder whats harder to filter and/or provide artifical air for. Humans or IC engines (sized for driving an exoskeleton, So lets say about 10x highly fit human power, or around 3hp..)

On the one hand, Humans need clean air cleaned of many toxins/dirt/debrie.
              On the other hand, Its not that big of a deal if an engine dies, And they can suck of toxins no problem, Dirt and debrie is a bigger problem, But the whole engine could be replaceable, So if you REALLY had to, a few minutes in debrie/excessive dirt could be done.

Humans need little air compaired to an IC engine.
              'Air' or oxygen can not be easily compressed, and can't liquify at less then very, very cold tempatures. Nitros oxide on the other hand, could be (I wonder if you can make an engine that can easily switch on the fly to just fuel and nitros oxide?)

Filling soldiers up with liquid oxygen (And nitromethane?) does sound like fun high tech ****! Sure would make great hollywood style explosions when someone gets hit.

IC engines can be restarted after oxygen is returned, or after the debrie storm stops. Humans.. Not so much.

So overall, Much more air needs filtering for an IC engine, but does not need to be filtered nearly as well then the air for its human pilot.
              If your gonna provide them artifical air for CO2/other gas blackout conditions, It might be about balanced for runtime of nitros oxide verus compressed oxygen, given equal bottle sizes for each (Just a guess, no math done to back that up, it just seems like the factors would reasonabley balance)

Of course, being on a huge exosketon, it would also be much easyer to carry said large bottles of oxygen/nitros.

And while I have not heard of any area denial CO2 weapons, Nor soldiers running around with oxygen bottles, Nore dust weapons capable of cloging IC engine filters or dust masks... I must admit, Dumping a few 1000 liters of liquid CO2 as a weapon does sound intresting. Why must we allways blow stuff up? Can't we find anything else to try?
              Last edited by Black_Moons; 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan

What the students have demonstrated is excellent control and balance with no active systems at all. That is a major achievement.
                Indeed, it looks like there is virtually no learning curve. Imagine one of these, fitted to your dog. Wouldn't he have fun?
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I think actually that helping the disabled is a major goal of these.

In my own (soon to be) neighborhood, some UC Berkeley people build a very inexpensive (i.e. costs 50K instead of hundreds of thousands) exoskeleton allowing a paraplegic Berkeley student to walk. He was able to walk at his graduation IIRC.

Comment

I think actually that helping the disabled is a major goal of these.
                    Absolutely. That is how I happened across the article. I am planning an assist device for myself to make it easier to squat and get back up. Right now it is a major effort to get down to the floor and back up again. I can only do so a few times and then I need some sort of assist such as something to help pull myself up. I am thinking along the lines of a simple framework that straps to my legs and stores energy as I squat, probably in gas springs. When I need to get back up the gas springs provide the required assist.

I will have to do a lot of testing to find exactly what motions and degrees of freedom are required as well as the most comfortable way of attaching the braces to my body. An important requirement is that it not interfere with driving without having to remove it.

Comment

Damn Evan, when you get that thing figured out, you can come down and help me finish the laminate flooring job I started and couldn't finish. At least send me a copy of the plans so I can make one

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        I am thinking along the lines of a simple framework that straps to my legs and stores energy as I squat, probably in gas springs. When I need to get back up the gas springs provide the required assist.
                        Hmmm, I can't see how gas springs would work well. Maybe if small short ones placed off to the sides...

I would think clock springs on either side of the knee myself. Only problem is if your foot slips.. Ouch. Speed limited recoil is kinda needed.

Maybe something like a gas shock pulling on a cable, Wraped around a pully? (And the end tied through a hole in the pully, Since you only need 1/2 turn anyway), Then the speed limited retract would'nt get in your way either. You could disconnect the cables easily enough to completely disengage the rig... Or just have a length toggle mechanism...

Comment

There are many factors to consider to make something that will work well. The knees are the easiest joint to assist because they have the most limited degrees of freedom but even so the mechanism will have to be able to accommodate some twisting and side bending forces. I don't see the assist system as being the difficult part. The geometry and attaching system will probably be the most difficult. It would be nice if the system could be somewhat locked in an almost sitting position. At least, right now that seems like a good idea. It may not be. A method of easily disengaging the assist system will probably be necessary, especially for driving.

I have checked with my doctor and the local pharmacy and as far as they know there isn't such a device on the market. When I build one, if it is successful, I will provide free plans for the system.

Comment

In 1970 I invented what I thought was a novel spring motor. It turned out to be impractical, but for this project I derived the formula for the amount of energy (per unit volume) which can be stored in a material by stretching it. This equals one half the product of the tensile stress σ (measured in lb/in2) and the strain ε (measured as inches per inch).
                            Energy = σε/2

This will be in units of in-lb/in3.

Of all the common materials I found that the rubber has the best potential for storing energy by stretching. Here is how it compares with music wire:

music wire 4000 in-lb/in3
                            rubber 9000 in-lb/in3

Music wire has a much higher tensile stress (as high as 500,000 psi), compared to only 3,000 psi for rubber). But rubber has a far higher maximum strain (6 in/in) than music wire (0.016 in/in).

So you might consider using surgical rubber tubing for your energy storage material.
                            Last edited by aostling; 08-02-2011, 03:36 AM.
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Of all the common materials I found that the rubber has the best potential for storing energy by stretching.
                              A fact well known by those that build and fly model aircraft powered by elastic bands (as I used to do).

An elastic system is definitely a contender. Some sort of damping method will be required. Elastics have the considerable advantage of being cheap, easily replaceable and adjustable too. The material is widely available in the form of exercise bands.

Comment

Working...
                              X