Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Al/Ox wheel dressing?...HF tool grinder and other questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al/Ox wheel dressing?...HF tool grinder and other questions.

Been wanting a dedicated setup for HSS lathe bits for some time so I can work on my lathe bit grinding experience.

After reading around the net on the Horror Freight 6" tool grinder and some mods/improvements that can be made to it to make it a decent running unit, I jumped in when it was on sale and a 20% coupon. Youtube has some vids on these mods.

After taking everything apart, I deburred all the trunnion slots and resurfaced them to square on the mill. Their factory castings are not square.

Deburred and stoned the table top and edges, where the mount bolts are pressed into the holes in the table top there are raised edges around there.

Removed paint from where the trunnion faces ride for smoother operation.

Made new steel pins for the shaft keyways on the backing plates. From the factory they use split roll pins that barely stick out of the shaft.

I trued up the ends of both spacer collars that the plates are pressed against.

I then put the plates on the shaft with collars index-marked and mounted the shaft between centers on my lathe with a dog and trued up both sides of both plates, the outer dia, and the 10 degree angle on the plate.

After all this and several hours later, I put everything together and is it SMOOTH now! I am happy for cheap amount paid.

I'd like to buy new Al/Ox wheels for this now, maybe a 45 and 80 grit? I can find the 45 grit, but the 80 seems harder to locate. Some places mention a type 35 wheel for this unit, but others mention a type 2. What is the difference?

And once you have a new Al/Ox wheel, what is the proper way to dress it?
    Do you do just the outside edge, or the outer dia also?
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM.

Here is a thread you might want to look at on the HF Grinder.

Comment

Cool stuff! Really like the miter gauge setup- another project to tinker with for me.

Do you use the diamond wheel on HSS?

I'm still unclear on the whole wheel dressing thing. Do you use the diamond dresser for both Al/Ox and your diamond wheel?

Do you just dress the outer face?

Comment

The diamond wheel is for carbide only.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Don't use Diamond on steel,steel just loves carbon and Diamonds are just full of the stuff

I get my AOX wheels from KBC-

http://kbctools.com page 538

Item#1-704-368

Diamond I get from CDCO,China,but good quality,BARGIN AT $70-

I use the 120grit for most things and have a 320 for finer edges.

The dresser I use is a cheap diamond point from whoever has them on sale,mounted in a block and held in with a thumb screw.The block fits the table slot,so you just loosen the screw adjust so it just touches the face of the wheel and slowly push it across the wheel face.That is for the AOX wheel.

The Diamond wheel rarely needs dressing and even then it's mostly a cleaning.Use an old AOX bench grinder wheel or a cheap oil stone.Just touch it to the face of the wheel and move it across,It's dressed when the AOX cuts like butter,usually in less than a second.All it really does is clean the trash picked up during grinding and expose a few fresh Diamonds in the process.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Great stuff, thanks!

I see KBC has the 46 grit A/O wheels, but nothing else.

I don't have a lot of carbide cutters, but may in the future.

Would I be better off getting two different gritted A/O wheels, or just getting a 46 A/O wheel and a diamond wheel for the other side?

Does the 46 get HSS nice enough on it's own, or do you need a bit more after the 46?

Comment

The 46 wheel is not as aggressive as you might expect and should do a fine job by itself. When necessary, cutters can be touched up with a hand stone.
              1 A/O and 1 diamond should work great for you.
              Last edited by Joel; 08-04-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Do the diamond wheels have different grits also?

I've seen wheel type "6A2C" as well as "Type 35" mentioned for this HF and Baldor unit, but have seen no definitive answer, and I'd rather not order the wrong thing....

I did spy this diamond wheel, at least it is a known name, but would what is the differece with the face compared to "normal" diamond wheels?

As opposed to something like this:

Last edited by T.Hoffman; 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

If you get a CBN wheel it is good for HSS. Look on page 544 of KBC's catalog. These are like diamond wheels, but for HSS. I have one and it does a great job.

Bob

Comment

Oooh, more great info! I love this place.

I just looked up CBN wheels to learn more:

What is CBN? The acronym "CBN" (a trade mark of General Electric Corp.) stands for Cubic Boron Nitride: a ceramic grain almost equalling diamond in hardness but which can be used for sharpening High Speed Steel (the material of which most turning tools are now made). The suitability of CBN for grinding HSS is important because, despite attempts to use it, diamond is not a suitable abrasive grain to use when grinding tools on a high speed dry wheel as it affects the steel at relatively low temperatures - well within the range of temperature achieved when grinding, even briefly.

These outstanding wheels, which have an almost indefinite life if treated with respect, are used in place of a normal granular wheel on a 6" high speed grinder. Thanks to the nature of the bonding between the CBN grains and the supporting steel hub, the wheels can be used dry, without coolant. Very little pressure need be applied to sharpen the tool, the weight of the tool alone being enough in many case. The grind created is very fine - akin to a 100 grit, or finer, finish - and material removal is fast. Unlike normal grinding wheels, there are virtually no sparks produced and the wheel and the tool remain very much cooler than is the case with conventional wheels, making it almost impossible to burn or blue the tools unless the user is very heavy handed or careless.
                    Sounds quite interesting.

Comment

Here's another question, do you guys touch up your carbide boring bars on a diamond wheel like I'm looking at for this grinder?

Comment

Originally posted by T.Hoffman
                        Oooh, more great info! I love this place.

I just looked up CBN wheels to learn more:

Sounds quite interesting.
                        And you were quoting who?

Comment

I do all my carbide grinding on the diamond side and all the Hss grinding on the CBN side.

Bob

Comment

CBN is meant for steel. Don't even think of using it on carbide. Carbide will ruin a CBN wheel in minutes. The wheel will become completely glazed and to recover it you have to dress off a lot of the grit.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
                              And you were quoting who?
                              Sorry, forgot link:

Comment

Working...
                              X