Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

See any problems with the Smithsonian's Department of Innovation logo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See any problems with the Smithsonian's Department of Innovation logo?

Take a look . . . .

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/idea...of-innovation/

Planeman

Yes, it's lame and unimaginative.
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

The "gears" are locked. Back when GM split into CPC-BOC, someone suggested a three meshed gear logo for BOC (Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac) and management almost bought into it.

Comment

The gear teeth are not generated?

Igor

Comment

The square teeth of those gears probably won't work all that well.
          Stuart de Haro

Comment

The gears won't turn. A similar logo was also used as the logo for a DOD entity designed to encourage cooperation between DOD entities. It seems rather apropos given the complete and utter failure of our government recently.

Comment

So some right wing blog posted a link to the blog and sent dozens "Hate Peddlers" over to trash on a Smithsonian Website

I followed a link from Michelle Malkin’s website thinking that it could not possibly be true that Smithsonian had put up a logo showing gears that won’t turn as a symbol of innovation. How very wrong I was.
              The only question is why this is posted here where folks (with the exception of a few crazys) generally accept science and engineering and the Webmaster has a prohibition against "Political Threads"
              Last edited by JoeFin; 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I find the pattern of use of logos with locked gears in government organization interesting. It either marks a satirical view on the part of the graphic designers or a complete and utter non-understanding of technology on the part of the masses, or both. Either way, it's pretty funny. I wouldn't have known about the more political nature of the posting here if you hadn't mentioned it, JoeFin, as I don't read that many other groups.

Comment

The two small gears will turn when the large gear is turned. They are not locked. I guess it's a good logo for the start of the industrial revolution but it's a little short on innovation.

I don't see a problem with this thread.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Carl's right that they're not actually locked. If they were a little closer together then they would be but I missed seeing that.

Comment

I come here to read and when directed to the link I read, and when I found the above quotation in amongst the comments I merely stated the obvious.

Mind you the "Graphic" was probably designed by a "Graphics Artist" or "Web Designer" with no expertise in any thing mechanical or mechanical engineering for that matter and "Geared Towards" (pun intended) the general public who understand gear geometry about as well as the inventors of the wheel. I don't find it strange at all it is not a working 3D Cam generated drawing.

Actually from a Graphic Designer's point of view the logo is very good. Remember a logo needs to convey the same message when it is 30' x 30' or when 1.5cm x 1.5cm.

Comment

True, they're not locked. They just run around in circles all day, good logo for a government entity.
                        I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                        Scott

Comment

Found this site linked in the Smithsonian's Blog role that a lot of members here would probably find very interesting and or inspirational

http://the99percent.com/

Comment

This is the logo as it was originally presented;

The gears were locked and would not turn. It appears that the two lower gears have subsequently been separated. Wonder what that cost us?
                            Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                              The gears were locked and would not turn. It appears that the two lower gears have subsequently been separated. Wonder what that cost us?
                              A fraction of what Austerity measures just cost your 401K
                              Last edited by JoeFin; 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X