This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To our friends in Great Britain

I hope the current troubles have not found you, and you are all safe.
    Along with all your stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts Rusty

We are approx. 140 miles from London but only 9 from Nottingham, So we are keeping our heads down and hoping for the best

Stuart

Comment

Its mostly a bunch of thieves using a bunch of idiots as police fodder while they cash in on the chance to steal some stuff.
      Main Problem is some of the shops they have set light to have flats above them they are lucky they havent killed anyone yet.
      Scumbags pure and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
        I hope the current troubles have not found you, and you are all safe.
        Along with all your stuff.
        Amen to that.
        ----
        Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Some would argue that, in the light of currently planned public budget cuts, the police have a vested interest in things going badly.

The problem with calling in the army to counter armed gangs rioting in the streets is that some might draw a comparison with the current unrest in Syria or Libya. Then some well meaning government would start arming the looters and arsonists with rocket launchers and providing air cover !!!!

Just a thought or two.

Phil

Comment

I thought the riots were in protest to Sir John hating bridgeports...
            Precision takes time.

Comment

It's a shame that you are not allowed to defend yourselves.

Comment

The problem with calling in the army to counter armed gangs rioting in the streets is that some might draw a comparison with the current unrest in Syria or Libya.
                While I would not argue that statement, I also offer that in some countries the military is not trained, nor equipped, as police are, in escalation of force (voice commands, batons, chemicals, instruments that deliver disabling shocks, etc.) that are possibly more effective in not further inflaming a situation beyond what is necessary to regain control. Without this training and equipment, the military is resigned to go from no action directly to 'shots fired' (possibly to the satisfaction of some).

I can say that in the U.S., many police now train in military tactics and conversely, military receive training for policing actions. I have no idea what is occurring in the UK as far this 'cross training'.

My heart goes out to all those that suffer and live in fear. May this madness end soon.

Comment

I'm at work in Central London and there's a van full of cops parked outside. Seems all quiet though and I'm not in fear of any danger. Things were a lot more lively yesterday but tonight I just heard the odd siren.

Seems that over in Ealing where there was a lot of looting and burning yesterday the locals have taken to the streets tooled up to defend their patch from further destruction.

Some youths in Nottingham have firebombed the local police station but only superficial damage and the few staff inside rushed out and made arrests top marks to them!
                  Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                  Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                  Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
                    It's a shame that you are not allowed to defend yourselves.
                    An ironic remark in light of the circumstances that ostensibly prompted
                    the ensuing chaos.

I haven't seen use of water cannons in recent public disturbances. Are
                    these out of fashion for some reason, now?

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
                      While I would not argue that statement, I also offer that in some countries the military is not trained, nor equipped, as police are, in escalation of force (voice commands, batons, chemicals, instruments that deliver disabling shocks, etc.) that are possibly more effective in not further inflaming a situation beyond what is necessary to regain control. Without this training and equipment, the military is resigned to go from no action directly to 'shots fired' (possibly to the satisfaction of some).
                      On one hand no one wants to see a day with hundreds of citizens lying bleeding and dead in the streets.....on the other hand I just can't accept this failing to escalate force to whatever is necessary to stop crimes in progress. Copious amounts of tear gas, rubber bullet machine guns? I'm not an expert in this area but I feel that looting, going on for an hour in front of police, requires escalation to whatever level it takes.

Our government here did the same thing for months if not years with native protesters occupying private property and with armed blockades of public roads. Whats being protested is irrelevant....but it seems like a form of terrorism when the government backs off of enforcing laws in the face of violence....in the sense that it encourages violence, destruction and unlawfulness as a legitimate means of political statement. What have you got when the government starts decided when and with whom they enforce the criminal act, or not.

I hope these crimes/acts of terrorism leave you and yours at least physically unscathed
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

There are no watercannons remaining in mainland UK. Northern Ireland have some still but ours were de-comissioned.

Shame, because we could do with some right now.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

It is imperative to keep order in any country. Without some kind of order, lawlessness takes innocent lives and property. There are many ways to protest without damage. From what I see, most of these are just frenzy riots, and should not be tolerated. This is WAY different than Syria or Lybia. They are protesting severe oppression.

I'd be flying rubber bullets and water cannons. By the same token I would also hear out legitimate protests.... by peaceful protesters.

Innocent people do not deserve chite like this.

Mark

Comment

Plastic bullets (we call them baton rounds) were authorized for use. Haven't heard of any being deployed yet though.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Riots

It is too bad the UK population has been disarmed. How can a shop owner protect his hard earned business? The police need to start firing real bullets and not rubber ones. Then leave the bodies piled up in the street. Now they have the mob running the show. Take no prisoners.

JRW

Comment

Working...
                              X