No announcement yet.

The ellipsograph used in "The Woodwright's Shop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really great workmanship. Is the tap under power or turned by hand when you made the knurl? What ever you did it worked great. Was this the process known as hobbing?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Here's another one, goes by a different name tho'.

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growab...**-grinde.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chester
        That's the one! I've got my knurls and a project I used them on at the end. Hmmm,

I've been ogling ellipsographs in a book on drawing instruments. I might have to give it a go at some point.

Comment

Old Dog,I suppose it is a home grown form of hobbing. Since I am telling you about it,it probably is hob-knobbing.

Chester,your link doesn't come up,but I can tell from the title that it is a reference to the old B.S.grinder,or "smoke grinder",etc. that used to be wooden toys. Exactly the same principle. Just make sure the sliders fit well in their T slots so you don't draw shaky looking ellipses.

Comment

gwilson, thank you for the image showing your technique for concave knurling
            and thanks to Chester for providing a link to the PM thread with your original
            discussion of the subject.

To others here who, like me, may wonder how gwilson's convex knurls shown
            on the ellipsograph are made, the answer can also be found in the PM thread
            (first make a concave knurl, then use this to cut a convex one.)

Comment

Yes,Eddie,a concave knurl makes a convex knurl on the work you are doing. Or,you can use the concave knurl as a "mother knurl" to make a convex knurl,should you want to produce a piece of work with concave knurling on it as a decoration.There is no practical application for concave knurling I can think of,except for use on jewelry,perhaps.

Comment

On the subject of tools for making ellipses, I am reminded of a thread from
                earlier this year 'Machining Ellipses' by sbmathias.

I am not comparing craftsmanship or design, only drawing attention to
                sbmathias' description of a simple technique for creating ellipses with a
                router (and possibly a mill) for those here with an interest.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                  There is no practical application for concave knurling I can think of, except
                  for use on jewelry, perhaps.
                  My interest was for decorative work but I believe that concave knurling would
                  also serve a useful purpose on rolls intended for feeding/restraining rope-like
                  material.

Comment

That sounds useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X