X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alsinaj
    replied
    Old Fashioned Knurls

GW, can you describe how the old-fashioned knurls are made with a tap? Thx.

Leave a comment:

• Hal
    replied
    G

Those knurls are great. They sure add a touch of class.
    One of these days I'll try to make some.

Thanks for sharing your work, it's inspiring.

Hal

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    It was on here last night,too.

Leave a comment:

• Tony
    replied
    brilliant work!

and here's a coincidence for you.. I just watched that episode a few
    days ago! Here's the link:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2800/2810.html

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    They have flat head screws silver soldered underneath the brass pieces. These screws go into drilled holes filled with glue. Doing it this way prevents the inevitable reappearance of the heads of screws put in through the top and filed flush when the wood slightly responds to humidity changes.

Leave a comment:

• madwilliamflint
    replied
    That's beautiful.

How's the brass attached to the mahogany?

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied

A view of the swivel knife attachment. The rod just fits through the hole that the pencil normally uses. This also shows the old fashioned knurls that were made using taps.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied

Another view of the ellipsograph. The brass blocks slide quite smoothly in the T slots.

Underneath the mahogany base are 2 very small,sharp pin points to keep the device from skidding around as it is used.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    started a topic The ellipsograph used in "The Woodwright's Shop"

The ellipsograph used in "The Woodwright's Shop"

This was a special tool we made for the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Williamsburg. They were reproducing an old toolchest with large oval inlays. They also wanted this tool to use as a demonstration for an upcoming woodworking forum in Williamsburg a few years ago.

It was also seen in a presentation of "The Woodwright's Shop" on T.V.. Marc Hansen and Ed Wright,two of my journeymen were demonstrating how they were doing the inlay work inside the toolchest.

I also made a sharp swivel knife that can be used in place of the pencil for cutting out paper patterns.

I made the knurls that were used on the various knobs. They were made by running concave knurl blanks against a rotating tap in a lathe. Just normal taps for cutting threads.

The base is mahogany. The length of the mahogany bars is about 6".

By adjusting the knobs where the 1/4" square brass rod goes through their blocks,ellipses of different shapes and sizes can be generated.
    Last edited by gwilson; 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM.
Working...
X