Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philbur
    replied
    Thanks for that John, single lip engraving type cutter is as much as I needed to know, although not what I had hoped.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Phil,
    Sorry missed this.

The cutter in the picture is a single lip cutter, virtually an engraving cutter.

The profile is not correct as the cutter is straight sided and was made for doing a rack. The 'gear' was just an exercise in checked the concept and the code which was a simple hand written sub routine.

The cutter was the only one handy at the time, no idea where it is today, probably been reground into something else so no decent pics.

This is the only one I have of the cutter doing the job it was made for.

Unfortunately it's on the wrong side of the work in this shot.

Leave a comment:

• philbur
    replied
    Is John there or is he in the Pub.

Just pushed this to the front to see if I can get some feed-back from John S on post #15

Phil

Leave a comment:

• philbur
    replied
    Hi John, If possible some details or close-up photos of the cutter geometry in this video would be very interesting.

http://www.videosurf.com/video/cutti...-gear-57212350

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Here you are Lazlo, one for you.

How about something you can't buy a cutter for ?

Spline tooth, 20/40 DP, 15 teeth.

You get the exact profile, not an approximation based on the closest circle and exact for the size, a 16 tooth spline will be slightly different.

Lazlo, will this fit your Clausing splined cross slide screw ?

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Carbide will cut HSS. Not the best but it will.

Maybe one of those jig grinder attachments and a diamond cutter. Or maybe CBN for steel.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    WJR,
    Gearotic has always been a chargeable program.

Phil,
    No idea on life of the cutter, bearing in mind that for a home made cutter you are limited to silver steel or drill rod unless you can get annealed HSS and the means the harden it.

Main reason this module appears it to allow one to cut the smaller pitch gears that are hard to cut by other means and being smaller tool life should be more reasonable.

However nothing to stop you blocking the tooth space out with a slitting saw first, then just do a clean up pass.

Leave a comment:

• Zahnrad Kopf
    replied
    Originally posted by John Stevenson
    P.S. Forgot to mention it's generated not hobbed.
    That's f'ing awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Zahnrad Kopf
    replied
    Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Yes George, there is nothing new about the idea, only thing that is new is the machine makes it's own cutter without having to match to a known profile. Even better if you don't have a profile.
    Hey Old Sod,

Is Gearotic still no charge? if so, this addition makes it a fairly large value to many. (as opposed to just creating the profiling toolpaths).

Well done, to Art and you.

Admittedly, while I have very good CAD and CAM, that woulda been kinda nice while I was cutting 8mm GT2 profiles...

Best,

WJR

Leave a comment:

• philbur
    replied
    Are their any issues with the cutter holding up when cutting a gear with a relatively large number of teeth?

Do you do a single roughing cut followed by a finishing cut or do you nibble it with multiple passes?

Phil

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    Yes,I understand that. A terrific setup!

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Yes George, there is nothing new about the idea, only thing that is new is the machine makes it's own cutter without having to match to a known profile.

Even better if you don't have a profile.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    That is the same type cutter that they have been using to make clock gears for hundreds of years,though the old ones were hand filed out.

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    That is really clever. I haven't had a need for small gears (yet) but that looks so intriguing maybe I need to look harder.

Thanks for posting about it.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Forgot to add that it also generates the profile for timing pulleys as well.

HTD 5 series.

XXL series.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X