Are You a Prisoner of your Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You a Prisoner of your Job?

When my Son graduated from college I told him, If you have anything fun you would like to do then you need to do it now before you get a job because once you get a job you become a prisoner. You are expected to be on time for work every day and you only get 1 week paid vacation after the first year. After 5 years most places give you 2 weeks paid vacation. Now is the time to travel and see the world before you get tied down to a full time job.

He took a job working at Yellowstone National Park during the summer. He gets 3 days off per week and hikes and explores the park with employee groups. They take a bus to a different place every time, hike all the trails in the park, canoe, camp, bond fires, etc. He gets free food, free place to live, free laundry, free transportation, free medical, it all comes out of his pay check so he does not actually get very much spending money but he is at Yellowstone having the time of his life.

Before that he worked the Appliation trail. Again every thing was free all he had to do was work at his own speed. If he felt tired one day he could lay out and rest. They have free food, satalite TV, game room, bond fires, music, hot showers, bathrooms, a place to live, lots of activities but no pay at all.

His job in Yellowstone ends with the tourist season last day of Sept. He has the option to stay on and drive a snow plow all winter or transfer to any National Park in the World. He is thinking he might transfer to Hawaii or maybe Australia.

After that he is thinking maybe Acadia National Park in Maine or maybe Glacier National Park or Death Valley or Grand Canyon or maybe Yellowstone again. I am glad he is having the time of his life.

After college I worked for 10 years, started 3 business and in 1985 I had enough. Sold it all and retired for 5 years. Then I returned to work as an employee, plant engineer in a factory. I retired again 2005 now I camp, hike, bicycle, travel, beach, play in my shop, garden, have fun. Life doesn't get any better than this. I am not rich but having fun is worth more than money. You only live once so don't waste it.
    Last edited by gary350; 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM.

Sounds like a good job if you can get it.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Re: Workin for the man:

I have a couple of friends who live off grid in the bush ,both are now getting the old age pension,, anyway this spring was a big celebration of sorts for him, as this is the 40th year that he has worked for no one,,, always worked on his own at crafts, handyman, odd jobs etc.
      When November comes, the car is parked, battery is taken out, and they stay in their place untill about April sometime.(They don,t come out.) Over the winter they crosscountry ski, do crafts to sell in the summer, tinker at projects, etc.
      Grow and can most of their food to last the winter, heat with wood, and with both getting the old age pension, come april, they have spent nothing really, their pension goes automatically into their bank account, so come spring they got probably another $12,000.00 in the bank.
      They got a system that works for them.

Comment

Wow Gary, you just hit the nail on the head.
        I feel the same way.
        I started working right out of school. Construction, roofing, labor, door-to-door sales, etc. before finally wandering into a machine shop.
        I've been working non-stop for the past 23 years.
        I thought it was all about money, money, money......
        It's not.
        These past 14 years I've been working 65 hour weeks. 6 to 6 Monday thru Friday + 5 hours on Saturday....... 14 years I've been doing this, week after week!
        Until last month.
        My boss gave me an ultimatum. He wanted even MORE hours outta me. Full day Saturday plus half days Sunday because THEY were back-logged. Take it or leave it!
        So I quit, right there on the spot.....
        I haven't felt this free since I was a kid.
        I now work for myself, in my small shop, making parts here & there for a couple of customers.
        I ain't rich. I'm not poor. The bills get paid. I have plenty to eat.
        But I have FREEDOM and HAPPINESS.
        And I now have time to play with my 7 year old daughter.
        Life is what you make it. Enjoy!

Comment

I think it's more about whether you like having roots or not. Every time I go on vacation I go off the beaten path. Usually in woodsy places and the like, but sometimes more urban. Anyway, I can't remember one at the moment where I wasn't offered a job "working" as a caretaker or something at a ranch or something like that where I would have to work a couple hours or so per day doing odd jobs, free room & board, use of vehicles or critters for transportation, and of course some spending money.

Those kind of jobs would be fun and actually not too bad for security. But for whatever reason I still prefer to have my own home base and some of those trappings, though my friends would likely say I'm definitely not the typical consumer type. I don't make a lot of money doing this job thing either, but I still get the chance to get off the beaten path now and then. But in my case I don't feel particularly imprisoned in my job either even though it carries a pretty fair bit of responsibility. I kind of like it a lot of the time, and a guy has to fill his days doing something after all.

Ramble over.

Comment

I must have been working the day after I was born. When I got out of high school, I decided to follow my Uncles and take up the trade of machinist. The US Army got in the way, and I spent the next 3 years learning how to kill people I didn't even know. Fortunately, I managed to stay stateside, because my younger brother was on Da Nang Air base in Vietnam. When I finally got out, I worked briefly in aerospace, but got tired of being laid off all of the time. So, I took up fixing cars. I did pretty well, at first. But later on I took a job at a factory that manufactured hospital furniture and fixtures.
            For the next two years, I welded stainless steel 8 hours a day, five days a week. When I started having severe migraines, the doctor told me I should stop welding before I end up blind...So much for another career.
            I drove trucks for a while, then a tow truck. When the owner of the tow company found out about my mechanical background, I suddenly found myself back fixing cars. This time I stayed, and eventually retired from a fleet shop with the County. I tried working after I retired, but discovered it was costing me as much to keep on working as it was to just draw Social Security and my state annuity...So, I don't do anything right now, just work on my own little projects, go for rides on my bike, and basically play, every day. Sometimes I feel worthless.....but it passes.
            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

It's been almost twenty years since I had a job. I highly recommend retiring early, and I'm really sorry I waited until I was 46 to quit.
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Are You a Prisoner of your Job?
                Just escaped for lunch!
                Will

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
                  So, I don't do anything right now, just work on my own little projects, go for rides on my bike, and basically play, every day. Sometimes I feel worthless.....but it passes.
                  I believe that is the true goal of the human race. to STOP WORKING.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I retired from the Royal Navy 20 months ago (aged 42) after a career of 26 years of doing exactly what I was told and to be fair telling other what to do.

I now work on a 47 metre private motor yacht as a rotational chief engineer working a 10 week about cycle with payment all year round and flights home included.

I worked for 18 months on a charter yacht to gain further qualifications needed to apply for the job I now have; it all stems from those 26 years where I was a prisoner of the job where I gained my core skills and highly varied experience.

In 3 weeks I will fly home for 10 weeks at home with my wonderful wife and 4 year old son, a huge honey-do list and who knows maybe some time in the shop.

The OP's son is fortunate to be doing what he loves when he is young, I hope it lasts for him. I think I'll be doing this job as long as my wife can either stand me being away from home for half the year or being at home for half the year.

Comment

I am retired now but I have not done a real days work since my school days.

It wasnt good planning and it wasnt bad luck, I always had a job but it was always a job I enjoyed doing, so I guess I did work it just didnt feel like it.

Comment

I worked 50+ hours for the same place for 32 years,starting in high school. I too thought it was all about money until it 50 I had a severe back injury. I found out quick there is no loyalty or job security. In the middle of it all a tornado(very rare for here) destroyed my hanger & shop & planes at the airport. So now I walk with a cane,hurt a lot,have to stretch out several times a day, miss skydiving ,scuba diving,hiking,cycling, am limited in getting out hunting, walking in the woods etc. But don't feel sorry for me because I'm free. I don't accept handicapped only slowed down a bit. Sure there's a lot I can't do but much more that I can do. I buy anything that lifts,rolls,etc. I'm learning some machining after all these years & am having a ball setting up a new shop. LIFE & HAPPINESS ARE ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE. But let me give a little advice to the younger guys here. Get & stay out of debt, live everyday as it's your last(it may be) & buy a good long term disability policy. I wake up every day feeling truly blessed. I was a buyer & love to buy & sell. I kept getting comments about a show called American Pickers. I don't watch TV but saw 2 shows. I love it. Never knew before then I've been one all my life. Fly over a farm see something cool, tag it on the GPS & go see the guy. Pretty easy when he finds out it was you doing all those circles over his farm or even land in the lane or fresh cut hay field. Makes it easy to strike up a conversation. Got to go & see a guy about some stuff. Great topic!
                        Last edited by flylo; 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM.
                        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                        country, in easy stages."
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

Work is only WORK when you don't enjoy what you are doing. I'm 75 and still "work" part time, about 20 hrs per week. I enjoy what I do and actually look forward to days when I have something to do. I also enjoy the interaction with my co-workers. Bob.

Comment

I sometimes consider myself the luckiest man in the world when it comes to careers. I started in mechanical design in 1965 with a large engineering company, and immediately knew that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Over the years I attended college classes and upgraded my mathematical skills and gradualy moved from detail draughtsman to design draughtsman, to senior designer, to Design Engineer. I have worked for wages up untill about 10 years ago when I established my own small consulting company. Fortunately, the pay has always been good enough to allow me the hobbies and trips I wanted to take with my family. I just turned 65 this summer, and I am looking at impending retirement with really mixed feelings. I don't really need the money at this stage of my life, but it still buys the toys and the trips. On the other hand, I don't have the energy level now that I did when I was younger, so although I still want to work, I don't want to work quite as much now. ---Brian
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

I try not to work but people keep bringing me work.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X