Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Duracell Batteries

When did Duracell move to China?
    Monday I bought a booklite c/w batteries. Imported into Canada, but made in China. Included were six Duracell AAA cellls. Lo and behold, they were made in China also. I then checked the last box of AAAs that I bought from Costco about six months ago, and THEY were made in USA.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

duracell like all companies has factories all over the world - they are owned by P&G which is an American company

Comment

who cares, as long as the QC is maintained....

Comment

There is a very good reason to move consumer battery production to China. While this doesn't directly apply to the manufacture of regular alkaline batteries it is entirely pertinent to the manufacture of the more advanced battery types such as NiMH and Lithium batteries.

The advanced battery types contain a variety of rare earth elements. China is the primary supplier of rare earth elements. China has been restricting the export of rare earth elements by imposing export duties. If you want to buy rare earth elements at a reasonable price you must do so in China and use them there.

That is the main reason that battery manufacturing is moving to China.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Slightly off topic but Ever Ready supplied the cores to Duracel made very locally then moved up NE. UK

Comment

It matters to me. All these companies move production offshore & don't bother to tell their customers. It's like Cessna is going to make their new LSA plane in china. I'm sorry I'm not flying or supporting a Harbor Freight aircraft. Like importing milk from mexico. It's our jobs were talking about & it's pure greed by US companies which will come back to bite them in the end. We all better learn to say "would you like fries with that" in chinese.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

I have no problem if a company want to move production to China or elsewhere but I think it might be "appropriate" to charge them a tariff when they bring their product back into the country for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist
                I have no problem if a company want to move production to China or elsewhere but I think it might be "appropriate" to charge them a tariff when they bring their product back into the country for sale.
                that would be the correct thing to do to counteract the consumer greed that caused the company to go there.

There should be a duty based on the unequal playing field, human rights, working conditions, environment etc.

on the corpoarte greed bit, I just can't let this go...it is nonsense to refer to corporate greed, it's an anthropomorphism. A company is a set of dusty documents, an organizational framework. People exhibit greed and people make decisions. Start working back on who the people are and why the made decisions and explain how you'd do differently. Not that all decisions are good or defensible, but take a realistic and critical look at who does what why instead of making nonsensical demonizations like corporate greed. You could just as readily demonize all the citizens for wanting cheaper goods or more valuable 401k's, pension plans etc.

There is a very good reason to move consumer battery production to China
                We're talking alkaline here, besides, where rare earths are found doesn't matter much on where they are made into things.. Having done a brief foray into the alkaline battery business awhile ago, China did not quicklyh dominate production in this area because 1) it is so automated cheap labour doesn't matter that much and 2) their manganese dioxide has historically been of poorer quality. Interestingly, even most while label came from Duracell plants here not a china plant, at least they did 10 years ago. Likely a major driver for production over there is about being a global player and gaining access to the local market/region.

Comment

We're talking alkaline here, besides, where rare earths are found doesn't matter much on where they are made into things..
                  Generally a plant makes more than one type of battery. Where the rare earths are found most certainly makes a difference. China is by far the largest supplier and they are restricting the export of rare earths. China supplies 97% of all rare earths on the planet. There are no other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    Generally a plant makes more than one type of battery.
                    I'm looking forward to hearing how you know this as you unequivocally state it as fact.

A plant not only is extremely likely to make only one kind of battery, they may even make only make one size of battery

Comment

I think it does matter where the batteries are made. I say that as I put on my reading glasses that were made in China. They are supposed to be identical to the other pair of reading glasses I have. But, they're not. That's no surprise. In the last 20 or so years, I've bought many, many parts that were reproductions , or knockoffs, of parts originally made in the USA. Not once has a part made in China been of the same quality as the original. Some parts have been so poorly made that they are simply non-functioning mockups of real parts. I'd gladly pay more for a quality part, but they're just not available. There's a problem with moral codes and accountability in China. They just don't seem to care , and will do any sneaky thing they can get away with to save time and money. I have a real concern that the infrastructure of this country is being compromised by poor quality Chinese goods. Basic building products such as pipe fittings made in China leak because of defective threads, and even my plumbing supply houses now only stock Chinese pipe fittings. Electrical switches and supplies are faulty right out of the box. Water pumps fail after a few hours of use. NAPA stores are selling replacement parts for American cars that are made in China. ( I just bought an exhaust manifold for my Chevy truck that turned out to be made in China. It was, of course, defective. ) All of these products are sold under American company names, but made in China. There's no doubt that these American companies are being flooded with returned merchandise, and are trying to solve these quality control problems, but they are failing repeatedly. There's a reason , and I believe it's moral indifference that is endemic to the Chinese. On the other hand, I do not see the same problems with items made in Mexico, and selling for a similar price. As for revitalizing American industry, it's not going to happen any time soon. We found out the hard way that production line workers, essentially unskilled labor , cannot live upper middle class lifestyles if their employers are to stay in business.
                      Last edited by Bill736; 08-13-2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I'm looking forward to hearing how you know this as you unequivocally state it as fact.
                        This is one of the companies that makes Duracell batteries on contract.

Guang Zhou Garsun Power Science&Technology Co.,Ltd

Guangzhou Garsun Power Science & Technology Co., Ltd was established in 1995. After 10 years' development, Garsun has become a global well-known battery manufacturer. Headquartered in Guangzhou, Garsun's sales network covers all over China and expands into many countries and oversea areas, such as Europe, North America, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and so on.

Main products include Lithium-Manganese Button Cell, Zinc-Manganese Button Cell, Lithium-ion Button Cell, Carbon Dry Battery and Acid Dry Battery. Our products have passed CE Certificate and ISO 9000 Quality System Certificate (in compliance with European safety standard). Besides, they also meet the IEC international standard and Japanese JISC8512 Industrial Standard. They are widely used in computer mainboard, automotive warning device, tyre tester, laptop, calculator, watch, shoe light, electronic thermometer, electronic toy, mini electronic gift, wireless bluetooth products, multi- function wireless remote controller, PDA, MP3, digital camera memory stand-by power supply, electronic key, card-style radio, IC Card, wireless mobile phone, digital camera, FRS and other devices.
                        Their factory is located here:

Guangzhou Garsun Power Technology Co., Ltd.
                        Contact Person: Ms.Amy Liu
                        Address: Huichuang Industrial Zone, Xintang Town
                        Zip/Post Code: 511340
                        City: Guangzhou
                        Province/State: Guangdong
                        Country/Region: China

They aren't the only contractor to Duracell. Others also make other types including regular alkalines. None of them make just one type.

[added]

I didn't get this from Google. I subscribe to newsletters from Made-in-China.com re subjects of anything to do with energy. I make money investing in energy products. It pays well if you keep up with what is happening in the markets. That's why I am aware of the recent events in the rare earths markets.
                        Last edited by Evan; 08-13-2011, 01:30 AM.

Comment

that's a bad hint not solid footing to make another equivocal claim on something you really don't know. That's one company who's a contractor to Duracell and does not say what they make at what plant, you do not know how many plants they have or what they make at each. How do we even know they are a Duracell contractor - does Duracell verify it?

Even if we they do make more than one type and one plant, which we do not know, to have a credible opinion on whether battery plans typically make more than one type you would have had to visited dozens, have you? otherwise you wouldn't know what they make where

There are synergies in the mixing rooms for different sizes of the same type, ie alkaline, however the lines are so different for different sizes its a small win. The don't typically, in a western design plant, make lots of different types.

Comment

There's a problem with moral codes and accountability in China. They just don't seem to care , and will do any sneaky thing they can get away with to save time and money
                            Perhaps you should research details surrounding the construction of the Brooklyn bridge or a range of submarines manufactured by the Electric Boat Co.?

Prices are determined by the greed of Joe public.

Regards Ian.
                            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

well you have exactly 2 options......

stop buying
                              stop bitching

as long as you (and millions of others) buy, they will continue as thay are

bitching will do nothing to change this

Comment

Working...
                              X