LEAST favorite shop task?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEAST favorite shop task?

What's your least favorite thing to do in the shop?
    Mine would have to be single point threading. GGGRRRRR....
    It drives me nuts.
    cut, check, cut, check, measure, cut, check, and hope I don't forget to disengage the feed in time and run into a shoulder, or forget to back-out, or engage at the wrong time. I hate it.
    And don't forget the threat of torn or ugly threads hanging over your head.
    A necessary evil, I guess.

single pointing is no worse/better than other ops.....you just need a bit of practice and good thread mic

worst would be one of

- when the coolant tank goes stinky

- bending 1" conduit

- grinding welds

- cranking the knee all the way back up when you've used that 1" drill in a R8 taper adapter

- dropping that little part and you think it bounced far under the bench

- mounting a 12" chuck

- getting the 7.5hp burnt motor out of the bottom of the dirty greasy griming base of the DSG (lathe)

- getting the 7.5hp rewound motor into the bottom of the dirty greasy griming base of the DSG (lathe)

I could keep going but i'm talking myself out of machining....

Comment

At least two things you can do to make life easier.

#1 If your lathe can safely run in reverse, cut threads from the back. This lets you cut towards the tail stock.

#2 Do not use power. Make a crank so that you can turn by hand. Surprisingly fast.

Bob

Comment

moping the floor

Comment

If you're that intimidated by single-point threading, do it a LOT more. The more familiar you are with it, the better you'll be at doing it and the the less you'll hate it.

My least favorite task with have to be cleaning chips out of the lathe. It's a HUGE pain it the arse because the machine has a large chip pan, and it's integral to the machine.

The splash/chip guard fastened securely to the machine doesn't move, and because of the size machine and the shop we had to place it close to the wall. This means there's no way of walking behind it so I have to push the chips from the front, up and over the lip of the pan and onto the floor and then pull them out from underneath the machine. I only do it once or twice a year, unless it gets full before than from a rare high-chip-volume job.

Kind of hard to see the situation in this photo, but believe me if I realized just what a pain this position was going to cause I just might have sacrificed another 18"-24" of space behind it. It ain't moving now though.

Comment

Least favorite;

Changing out the vari-speed belts on the lathe. (This) afternoon's worth of bending, kneeling, cursing, pulling, stretching, but at least no smashed fingers.
            Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I don't mind threading anything but copper. Other than that I'd say cutting anything thick out of stainless steel on the bandsaw.

Comment

Constantly cleaning up chips, curls, swarf, cutoffs, dirt, grease, dust, and stuff.
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                  Constantly cleaning up chips, curls, swarf, cutoffs, dirt, grease, dust, and stuff.
                  Ha ha! Sure beats the alternative, though. Hey?

Comment

Remember those sliding-tile puzzles? The one with 15 tiles and space for 16? My shop is like that. I have too much stuff in there and cleaning and straightening up the shop is like working one of those puzzles. At best there might be "a place for everything, and everything in it's place", but when all is said and done, there is no place for anything else.

Where I work, they instituted a program they call 5-S. Something like Sort, Straighten, Shine, and a couple of other S-words I can't remember. Reminds me of the pre-dating routine s***, shave, shower, shampoo, shinola.

Anyway, I had mixed feelings about the program because on one hand, they threw out or disposed of a lot of good unused machinery and material that didn't have immediate use, but was stuff I relied on to build quick fixtures and test devices. On the other hand a lot of the disposed-of stuff wound up in my home shop.

I need to do a personal 5-S, but some parts of that process are just painful.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Mine is the yearly/twice-yearly clean-and-build of my little mill.

I know I should do it more often even for a large machine, but the adjustments on the little Chinese thing need to be done everywhere, to the point it's easier to tear it down to the nuts in bolts, degrease everything, check the specs, and just adjust the gibs and such as it goes back together from the bottom up.

Especially aggravating that the head (a third of the weight of this thing) is anchored to the column with wires that are about six inches too short to anchor it to that spot with, and that my last rebuild either missed a chip or moved the column pivot plate 180 degrees, and now the Z-axis is out of tram a little.

Project: Remove column, center pinch middle at top of mount, reattach, measure. Then find properly sized sockets to make the wires between the column and head removable. Then sell for a bigger machine.

Comment

Dust, cobwebs, and odds and ends lying about are just "Shop Patina".

Comment

My least favorite would probably be fixing jobs that someone tried to fix already and screwed up.

I had a set of cases for an old Harley panhead a while ago that someone had tried to drill a couple of broken studs out of and had the drill wander off location.

If you have ever tried to drill a steel stud out of aluminum, you know what I am talking about.

Got it fixed though. One happy Bro there. He said it runs great. I told him to bring it to me first next time.

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

My least favorite shop task is the summer cleanup of where the winter mice found a new place to nest.

Comment

Least favorite, or at least the thing I seem to have the hardest time doing:

Staying organized.
                              ----------
                              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                              X