Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up on prices on a large used lathe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's going to take a lot more than $2000 to $3000 to get it, but it's always worth a try.

I've got a 1974-vintage Victor 1640 lathe that I'm sure I could get $1800 to $2200 for tomorrow to an end user. You could perhaps double it if I started throwing in all the like-new chucks, faceplate, steady rest, CA-size QCTP (with 14 holders), DRO and other tooling bits. Barebones to a dealer (with just the steady, old DRO and a beat-up 3-jaw I still have), it would still get $800 to $1000 because these are still a very popular lathe despite being nearly 40 years old and a Taiwan import.

Just like a car, a machine is worth whatever you can get for it if selling and whatever you're willing to pay if buying. Pricing influences include how many are nearby, how many people are out looking for one, overall age and condition of those offered, how easy is it to get onto a truck, age, condition, tooling, and yes, looks count.

If I could get a TOS that size, age and condition over here for $3000, I'd probably be able to double my money or better. Those are nice machines.

Comment

The Enco lathe is a real cheap lathe. I wouldn't trust the same lathe that old. Probably minimal quality to begin with. Though the lathe looks the same,Enco parts may not quite fit.

Comment

Just an observation, but I regularly see Pacemakers, L&Ss, and Monarchs that are mint for $6-8k. Why buy a Chinese machine for that price when the good solid iron is selling for that?
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I would think that if you look and are patient, you could get huge lathes for scrap, perhaps less because they are hard to move and not many have space and power for them.

Comment

I think my friend who owned the Monarch series 60 we had at tech shop ended up selling it in the $2000 range, and it was about this size. To move it it was about $1000.

Comment

A couple of reasons I am looking at this lathe is
              It has a 3 5/16 bore which is a huge convenience many if the older lathes lack a large spindle bore . And also it is located nearby to me.

Comment

That is a nice size bore.........your current lathe will appeal to the masses so you should do good on it........the lathe you are looking at has less appeal to many, not usually brands that a business would be interested in and too big for homeshop types........I wouldn't go less than 16X60 for another and preferably with a gap bed.......if it checks out ok with reasonable quality, little wear and good care I could go close to his asking prices if it came with some extras.......

The Monarch macona speaks of or that recent sliding bed LeBlond would be nice also but years of use on those..........

Actually I bought my Tos for $2200 way closer to you than it was to me.........
                Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Originally posted by toolmaker76
                  I was talking to a friend of mine today about it, who had also been at the auction, and we both made the observation that it seems the bigger equipment sells for less than the smaller stuff.
                  For a lot less. The market for manual lathes are hobbyists and small job shops, so prices peak at ~ 12 - 14" swing, and drop quickly toward scrap price for bigger machines. Big shapers and manual milling machines are often sold at way less than scrap price. MickeyD and I looked at a K&T Rotary at a guy's house in San Antonio -- he told me I could have it if I got it out of his garage. LOL!

But for the OP, the value of a used machine tool always boils down to wear on the ways and the condition of the bearings. And considering this wasn't a high-end lathe to begin with...
                  Last edited by lazlo; 08-14-2011, 11:10 PM.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                  X