USPS Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS Tracking

Has anyone noticed that USPS have gotten pretty slow and their tracking is now almost non existent?
    I have been buying stuff in the US for several years now, usually in the 20lb boxes, I am located in Australia, usually I can follow the tracking info and see when the box was received, left the US, arrived in Hawaii, left Hawaii, arrived in Sydney and then in and out of customs,then onto Australia Post for delivery.
    This all usually takes up to a maximum of two weeks, sometimes less than one week.
    Except for the last two shipments, the only information is that the item is on it's way to the destination? The last box took 3 and a half weeks, and I am waiting on a power drawbar for my Tormach now that was posted on the 23rd of July, maybe it's having a holiday in Hawaii!
    Will

Usps

Originally posted by wbleeker
    Has anyone noticed that USPS have gotten pretty slow and their tracking is now almost non existent?
    I have been buying stuff in the US for several years now, usually in the 20lb boxes, I am located in Australia, usually I can follow the tracking info and see when the box was received, left the US, arrived in Hawaii, left Hawaii, arrived in Sydney and then in and out of customs,then onto Australia Post for delivery.
    This all usually takes up to a maximum of two weeks, sometimes less than one week.
    Except for the last two shipments, the only information is that the item is on it's way to the destination? The last box took 3 and a half weeks, and I am waiting on a power drawbar for my Tormach now that was posted on the 23rd of July, maybe it's having a holiday in Hawaii!
    Will
    That seems to be the norm now , I have given up trying to get some sort of timeframe for items to arrive ,I just order /pay and then wait.
    Australia Post dont help with their slack attitude either.

I have lost a couple of customers over whats presently happening , I used to be able to order tools or materials and get them in the shop within a certain timeframe .

Only have been able to roughly track the large items or combined items , the little costly ones you just hope get to you.

There seems to be some holdup leaving the US , something to do with the heighted paranoia in some areas.

Not doing business any good. But it keeps the otherwise unemployable busy pretending to be saving the world from terrorists.

Michael:

mad:

Comment

Have some items coming from the US myself... Nearly 3 weeks and no show...

Getting expensive as well.... $60 for 10kg....

Just got 20kg posted from China for $75.
      Precision takes time.

Comment

There was a time not long ago when my only criticism of the US Postal service was that it was too efficient. I didn't like paying extra just to get junk mail nearly overnight. But you guys are right, all that seems to have changed. Makes me wonder if it's not a ploy to get us to use "overnight" service?
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I'm only using it for domestic service here, but get mixed results. I ship out a fair number of packages using our "Priority Mail" service. Sometimes it shows the package being accepted, then I get an update showing it was delivered 3 days ago.

Other times I can see it moving right along, and the tracking works as it should. One thing I will say is that despite that inconsistency, the bottom line is that the packages are getting where they're supposed to go in a reasonable time for a reasonable fee (as compared to UPS or FedEx.)

Comment

They have no tracking system. The workers at my Post Office told me they can tell me when I mailed it and when the postal worker picked it up to deliver it. They can't tell when he delivered it or where it is from the time I mailed it to when the mailman picked it up to deliver it to the recipient.

They don't track like Fed-Ex or UPS.

Having said all that I prefer USPS over UPS or Fed-Ex. I live out in the Boonies and the Post office is close, the others aren't.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan
              I ship out a fair number of packages using our "Priority Mail" service. Sometimes it shows the package being accepted, then I get an update showing it was delivered 3 days ago.
              The weak point in the USPS system is the postman.
              As we've discussed here and on PM, the postmen are lazy, and will log a "Signature Required" package into the system as "Delivered" without ever having a signature on the brown slip.

I've had packages that hadn't been delivered yet show up in the "tracking" system as "delivered, signed by recipient." I've also had packages left on my neighbor's doorstep logged the same way.

If you call the central tracking system to complain, they respond like it happens all the time. But they won't admit that anything has gone wrong with the signature authorization, or that their system doesn't really work.
              Last edited by lazlo; 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                The weak point in the USPS system is the postman.
                As we've discussed here and on PM, the postmen are lazy, and will log a "Signature Required" package into the system as "Delivered" without ever having a signature on the brown slip.

I've had packages that hadn't been delivered yet show up in the "tracking" system as "delivered, signed by recipient." I've also had packages left on my neighbor's doorstep logged the same way.

If you call the central packing system to complain, they respond like it happens all the time. But they won't admit that anything has gone wrong with the signature authorization, or that their system doesn't really work.

Not in my neighborhood. My guy is excellent, and anything but lazy! I know him personally now, because he's been delivering here for 20+ years and that familiarity has not bred contempt for the system. He follows the rules, period. If you're getting different, you need to document the infractions and contact your local Postmaster to report the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan
                  Not in my neighborhood. My guy is excellent, and anything but lazy! I know him personally now, because he's been delivering here for 20+ years
                  That's great -- keep him!

But to point out the obvious, that won't help if you're the sender

The other irritating, lazy postman habit that a lot of folks have mentioned: heavy flat-rate boxes often mysteriously get marked for signature pickup at the post office. In other words, I bought a flat-rate box full of cut-offs, and the postman didn't want to lug it. So it suddenly got entered into the tracking system
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Up until the last few weeks I've had some pretty good experiences with USPS. However the last thing I ordered was an axle for a garden tractor. It was comming from Michigan to Wisconsin with an estimated arrival date of 3 days after placement of the order.

When the seller delivered the pkg to the Post Office it was registered as "accepted". It took another 10 days to get the package to my door, and there was no further tracking information. Even after it arrived there was no tracking update.

Comment

For the last 5 years (at least) whenever (if) I get a "delivered" notice from the USPS tracking system, it is always 3 - 7 days after the package has been delivered. No info ever between "picked up" and "delivered."

Re: my local postal carrier....

I receive other people's mail multiple times a week. There have been several instances (that I KNOW about) when I did not get my mail. (Late fee's on utilities etc., because I never received the bill.)
                      Sometimes he returns an hour later with the rest of my mail he missed the first time around. He's a nice enough guy, but......

This is my own fault of course, because the LAST carrier I had - dropped off my mail one day, then made a bee-line to his truck and drove off. I was inside the house and heard him drop the mail through the slot. Inside the stack of mail was a notice that I had to sign for a package and to go to the post office to pick it up. Hand written on the notice was that there was "no one present at the time to sign" for it. He never knocked on the door or rang the bell.

I took the notice straight to the postmaster and pitched a fit since I had been expecting the package and stayed at home to get it! So now I had to wait until the next day to go back and get it. I caught the carrier the next day on his rounds and he proceeded to tell me about the rump chewing he got from the boss. (Boo-hoo...)

A week later they changed the carrier on my route to the guy I have now. Sigh....

Comment

USPS has gone to hell just like most everything else in the US.
                        I stopped using USPS due to the problems others have already outlined.

UPS is getting as bad as USPS. About 1 in 10 packages are delivered
                        to the wrong address while their tracking systems advises my package
                        is on my front porch. (Same driver sense 2004)

How many times have you paid $10.00 S&H for a $9.00 part.
                        The statement "The price of doing business" no longer has any
                        meaning what so ever!

Sorry for the rant!

Ironheart...
                        Beat it to Fit...
                        Paint it to Match...

Comment

USPS has not gone to hell, they NEVER HAD A REAL TRACKING SYSTEM. When you give something to the post office and want it tracked all they do is log when it was received and when the postman/woman picked it up to deliver to you.

They DO NOT TRACK ANY THING IN BETWEEN so live with it. If you want to look online each hour, day and week while your package is being delivered then use UPS or Fed-Ex, don't use the USPS.

Quit ignoring the truth.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                            USPS has not gone to hell, they NEVER HAD A REAL TRACKING SYSTEM. When you give something to the post office and want it tracked all they do is log when it was received and when the postman/woman picked it up to deliver to you. <<SNIP>>
                            It did not use the words tracking and USPS together. If you had fully read my
                            post you would see I was talking about having to track UPS.

Open mouth, insert FOOT!

Ironheart...
                            Beat it to Fit...
                            Paint it to Match...

Comment

I think this relates:

Comment

Working...
                              X