Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

demagnetizers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • demagnetizers

    I am considering getting:

    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

    a surface type demagnetizer. Yeah, it's a import, but just can't justify a US made at 10x the price for the amount I would use it.

    Do these work well?

    I have a little http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT (handheld thing) that is the most useless piece of crap. Supposed to demagnetize and it does just the opposite for every time I have tried it.

  • #2
    If you are wanting to demag things like small wrenches and screwdrivers then all you
    need is a soldering gun. Just poke the screwdriver through the loop formed by the
    copper tip, while the gun is turned on, and pull it out and away about as far as you can
    reach before turning off the soldering gun.

    The AC field in the soldering tip reverses 120 times/second thus reversing the field on your
    screwdriver. When you pull it out and away the field diminishes to close to zero while
    the field is reversing. Thus no residual magnatism.

    Did that make sense??

    If you need to demag a bigger part, replace the soldering tip with a loop of AWG 10 copper
    wire sized to suit.

    Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

    Comment


    • #3
      And he means one of these:

      http://www.amazon.com/Weller-D550PK-.../dp/B00002N7S1

      Not a soldering iron.

      Comment


      • #4
        If it is just wrenches and screw drivers you don't need to buy anything - just hit the metal part of the screw driver or any part of the wrench against the side of your bench vice or any metal object a couple of times.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by baldysm
          Do these work well?
          In general, they do. I have one by Eclipse. As for the chinese one, they'd really have to work hard to find a way to make it unusable. It's just a simple transformer with an open core.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

          Comment


          • #6
            Just strip an old 110V motor down and throw away everything except the main housing and the field windings. put a 50 watt bulb in series with the wires from the field windings and a wire with a plug to plug it in and your in business. anything that will fit inside the hole where the rotor used to be will be demagnetized when it's plugged in.
            It's only ink and paper

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by baldysm
              I am considering getting a surface type demagnetizer.

              Do these work well?
              I can not speak to the efficacy of the product featured in the link, but I
              have an Eclipse 956 Demagnetizer that is somewhat similar in form and
              dates back to the late '50s. Its principal purpose was to demag ferrous items
              that had spent some time on a surface grinder. It continues to work well.

              Mine is older than this one, but has the same split table design

              .

              Comment


              • #8
                I have to demagnetize all my machine tooling about twice a year and some more often. They become covered in "prickly fuzz" if I don't. Almost unusable. I don't have the name handy but it's old. Maybe from the 40s.

                Comment


                • #9
                  To the OP, I have the same unit you posted. I've only used it to demag calipers, screwdrivers etc. Works well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I picked up an American-made one similar to (though newer than) the one posted by EddyCurr. I got it at the big yard sale held by Jeff of Tools4Cheap.net (last year?) and paid $5 for it. I did have to replace the busted switch, no big deal.

                    A new import one for $20? Why the hell not. I blow more than that on lottery tickets and get nothing for those.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have that unit from ENCO the only thing wrong with it is the switch, it should be spring off but its not. If you leave it on it will over heat, catch on fire and there goes your shop. So just take it apart and replace the switch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My Eclipse demag. does not have a spring loaded switch either. Haven't forgotten to turn it off yet. Why do you believe that leaving it on for a prolonged period would cause it to start a fire? If it overheats, I think the likely outcome would be an open in the windings and zero current flow. One could always add a fuse holder to the unit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A demagnetizer is a transformer with an open magnetic circuit. It's missing one of the pole pieces. As such, it draws maximum current all the time it is energized. If it doesn't have thermal protection this will cause it to burn out and it is very likely to catch fire before it blows the fuse. Many older units do not have any protection. The duty cycle is usually no more than 10 percent or less.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            With all the racket mine makes, it would be difficult to leave it on by accident. Must be a built-in safety device.

                            Geez, what's wrong with this keeyboard?
                            Last edited by CCWKen; 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Delete duplicate.
                              Last edited by CCWKen; 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X