A question about shipping from Canada to the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about shipping from Canada to the US

Does anyone know anything about an outfit called Parcel2go, (http://www.parcel2go.com/)? My daughter is trying to buy something from a private seller in Canada and the seller suggested using Parcel2go to handle the transaction. What do get form these guys that you would need and/or wouldn't get using the postal services or UPS, FedEx,...etc?
    Thanks
    Joe

well I don't know about canada->us but us->canada you get $30+ duty bills for items under $20, and it only goes up from there, when using UPS...
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

It looks like they use a 3rd party carrier, not themselves?
      If it is not that high a priced item, you may want to use CanPost/USPS.
      For Canada to US shipments the allowance before any duties is much higher than coming the other way into Canada.
      Canada has a limit of $20 before any duties are due, and with the US it is $200.
      Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        well I don't know about canada->us but us->canada you get $30+ duty bills for items under $20, and it only goes up from there, when using UPS...
        No, you get a $30 customs clearance charges and sales tax....not duty...our maching stuff is duty free. Most of the $30 is the stuff UPS layers for clearing a zero duty item

that site looks more like its UK based? I would just mail it...unless its very valuable then it might be worth the higher insurance of a Fedex et al....I think the Canada Post insurance tops out at $200

Comment

Use Canada Post. The have all the same services as the Couriers usually at lower cost . You can have it sent Parcel Post, International Express mail, or Expedited International Express mail depending on how quickly you want it.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I assume that if the Canadian seller is suggesting a parcel service, the package is over the Canadian Post weight limit.

All the majors (UPS, FedEx, DHL) charge about the same rate for customs brokerage. I would imagine a Mom & Pop carrier would charge as much, or more...
            If you're not aware: the carrier tacks the customs brokerage on as a COD charge. Ebay sellers on both sides of the border will often feign ignorance and just ship by a common carrier, knowing you'll be the one paying the brokerage fee.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Canada Post has the same restrictions as the couriers. The maximum weight is 30 kilos or 66 lbs with a maximum length+width of 3 metres or 9.8 feet.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks for all your help

Thanks, guys
                I think that my daughter is not going to do the deal now. She was under the impression that Parcel2go would act as a broker to handle the money and product to be sure that both parties got what they expected. I don't think that is the case.
                Thanks again
                Joe
                P.S. I'll try to remember the "OT' designation next time.

Comment

Working...
                X