Odd drill bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd drill bit

A friend gave some stuff that was mostly scrap iron but I saved this to see if anyone knows what it's for. It says, 3/8" Speed -Bit on one side. The sides are undercut for clearance and the tip end is rounded and the tips are a chisel form and the shank is tapered. Has anyone seen these before?

It's only ink and paper

Looks like an old carbide tipped drill.

Comment

I've seen a couple of those before, but can't quite place the maker. Could it be for drilling glass?

Comment

It's steel, not carbide. It doesn't look like it has been used or sharpened.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

If the other side is round, looks like a typical "1/2 round" or D bit. Hardwood, brass...
          Last edited by lakeside53; 08-16-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Like a spade bit, no flutes, lots of room for chips.

Comment

The old brass drills I have look like fluted drills that have no twist to the flutes,just straight flutes . They would also be good for drilling sheet metal or plastic,where you don't want the drill sucking through as it breaks through the other side,breaking the plastic,or causing the sheet metal to pull upwards and spin around if it is not well clamped down.

Comment

The truly curious part to me is the taper shank. You imply it is not a standard taper such as a MT0, in which case the more compelling question is, "what does it fit?".

Comment

It was for use with an air chisel type deal. The taper is not original.
                  http://greenairtools.com/p-821-78-x-...ole-18-uc.aspx

Comment

No, not a D bit, it's flat on both sides. The taper is original as far as I can tell and it has not been modified as far as I can tell. I have not measured what the taper is
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

The taper looks to be close to the taper used in the older roto-hammers before spline and sds drive systems.

Steve

Comment

I dont think its tapered, just an optical distortion from the lens. Probably was taken close up with wide angle.

Comment

What is printed on it after the "SPEED-BIT"?

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                            I dont think its tapered, just an optical distortion from the lens. Probably was taken close up with wide angle.
                            The O.P. seems to think it is tapered, maybe He's only looking at it through the view finder of His camera

Steve

Comment

Alas, the suspense is killing me. Isn't this fun?

I suppose I could tell you what it is but that would entail a half page write-up. Not sure if I'm into that; but, with a little coaxing I may if you have all given up.

Comment

Working...
                              X