Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete machine bench moved into the w'shop..... but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter.
    For that little can you not turn some offset studs?

Hmmmm.... good thought...

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will head out to the shop first thing in the morning and double check the situation and hopefully get to some sort of solution.

Comment

How old is the concrete? Don't forget that concrete shrinks a little when its new, so maybe don't tighten the lathe down too hard till its a couple of months old.

Richard

Comment

Concrete is about a week old.

Comment

Richard's comment about new concrete shrinking has me wondering if the holes are too close together or too far apart. If the former, I'd put on a real straight face and say it was shrinkage that accounts for the discrepancy in distance and not a bad measurement.

Comment

For 4.5mm I was going to suggest off set studs turned up as well, but see it has already been mentioned.
            From memory you where going to grout after woods so this would cover them up.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane
              Richard's comment about new concrete shrinking has me wondering if the holes are too close together or too far apart. If the former, I'd put on a real straight face and say it was shrinkage that accounts for the discrepancy in distance and not a bad measurement.
              Unfortunately the holes are too far apart! Maybe if I wait a bit they will come right?

Comment

You'd need a (large) micrometer to measure the shrink on a piece of concrete that size.
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                  You'd need a (large) micrometer to measure the shrink on a piece of concrete that size.
                  Thats sad, I was hoping to get a bit more clear space around the back of the bench.

Comment

4.5 MM is only about .188. Couldn't you enlarge the lathe mounting holes to take that up? Or maybe elongate all four holes.. You wouldn't be removing that much meat.

Comment

Absolutely..... enlarge the holes, possibly cast in some epoxy to restore the "form" of the holes.

I can't see moving the "whole" thing just because of a tiny error like 4.5mm. (In regular concrete work nobody would even NOTICE 4.5mm, most likely.) You already had the holes in the best place for use, any move will be a pain for years to come.

So just grind/cut/whatever on the side of the appropriate holes until the machine fits.

i suppose there is no chance of just using undersized studs? with the machine grouted to the top, almost anything should be enough to hold it down, so undersized studs are unlikely to cause a problem.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

[QUOTE=Arcane]Richard's comment about new concrete shrinking has me wondering if the holes are too close together or too far apart. If the former, I'd put on a real straight face and say it was shrinkage that accounts for the discrepancy in distance and not a bad measurement. [/QUOTE]

Don't misunderstand me, at a week old it will still have a bit of shrinkage to go, but we are talking small fractions of an inch, nowhere near enough to make the holes as far wrong as they are.

Richard

Comment

[QUOTE=J Tiers]Absolutely..... enlarge the holes, possibly cast in some epoxy to restore the "form" of the holes.

I can't see moving the "whole" thing just because of a tiny error like 4.5mm. (In regular concrete work nobody would even NOTICE 4.5mm, most likely.) You already had the holes in the best place for use, any move will be a pain for years to come.

You are right, the general tolerance on concrete work on construction sites is around +/- 6mm.

Richard

Comment

Haha The 'overkill aspect' of that bench is after my own heart!

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                              John,

My Wellington friends are frolicking in their first snow since 1975. I see you got some too, perhaps not as much.

Is this a custom made bench, to your specs?

John,

This looks like your (New?) Ashburton House??

Grant N

Comment

Originally posted by NzOldun
                                John,
                                This looks like your (New?) Ashburton House??
                                Grant N
                                Grant,

Is this house in your New Plymouth neighborhood? I took this photo from the beach right in town, on a rare day a year ago when Mt Egmont was out of the clouds.

Who lives in this palace?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                                X