Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete machine bench moved into the w'shop..... but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter.
    For that little can you not turn some offset studs?

Hmmmm.... good thought...

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will head out to the shop first thing in the morning and double check the situation and hopefully get to some sort of solution.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    For that little can you not turn some offset studs?

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    I have eaten my dinner and went through to thoroughly investigate the situation.

The error is much, much less than I thought in fact it is about 4.5mm, makes it hard I think so I might just have to use some of my bench top real estate and move enough for a new set of holes.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Just make some raising blocks. This way you can offset the holes enough.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    20mm out is hard, could do with being a little more.

Well, 12mm studding (all-thread) will hold over a ton so plenty strong enough, so you could drill 14 or 16mm holes and resin some 12mm stud about 70mm into the surface, or drill right through and put a nut and washer on the bottom but you risk popping the lower surface and making an ugly scar. Tell you what I'll come and drill them for you if you pay the petrol

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Black_Moons
    Turn the table 180 degrees around and put the new holes on the other side, the old holes are now.. 'Fixture holes' for when you need to uh, fixture something to your bench...

That would be OK except the drainage gutter has an interruption where the headstock is supposed to go and there are fittings cast in the legs for mounting the brake pedal. But nothing is impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Black_Moons
    replied
    Turn the table 180 degrees around and put the new holes on the other side, the old holes are now.. 'Fixture holes' for when you need to uh, fixture something to your bench...

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Well, at least with the concrete being new, it shouldn't be too hard to drill with a proper concrete bit. It would almost seem that you should drill all new holes, and re-position the lathe so the new holes don't come too close to the existing ones. Seems like it would be easy to chip into an existing hole and bugger up the new one.

Or- is there a possibility of drilling new holes in the lathe flanges to suit the existing mounting holes-
    Last edited by darryl; 08-17-2011, 02:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by aostling
    John,

My Wellington friends are frolicking in their first snow since 1975. I see you got some too, perhaps not as much.

Is this a custom made bench, to your specs?

Allan, we had our snow on Monday, its nearly all gone now.

Yes, I was asking around for advice about casting concrete and this company made me an offer that was quite attractive so here it is. Unfortunately my specs were lacking a little so now I need to adapt to the holes being in the wrong place!

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by lenord
    WOW

That is one heck of a lathe stand !!
    Is there a thread I am missing that has the details of it ? If not, please add some text !!!

Wonderful pictures BTW.

Thx
    Lenord
    Lenord, try this one:-
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=45679

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    John,

My Wellington friends are frolicking in their first snow since 1975. I see you got some too, perhaps not as much.

Is this a custom made bench, to your specs?

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter.
    Easier to drill the bench and resin-fix a knurled socket into the hole John. Then you can still keep your clean lines and the ability to un-bolt.

How far out is it?

Peter, three of the holes are about 20mm out.

Leave a comment:

• lenord
    replied
    WOW

That is one heck of a lathe stand !!
    Is there a thread I am missing that has the details of it ? If not, please add some text !!!

Wonderful pictures BTW.

Thx
    Lenord

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    Easier to drill the bench and resin-fix a knurled socket into the hole John. Then you can still keep your clean lines and the ability to un-bolt.

How far out is it?

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    .........continued

IMGP9332 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Plenty of room for the lathe!

IMGP9329 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Mill in position and look at all the clear space in the workshop!

BUT, disaster! Major cock up! I mis-measured the mounting holes for the lathe tapped inserts! What a blankety blank idiot! Now I will have to make adapter plates of some kind!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X