large threaded cone .. puzzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• large threaded cone .. puzzle?

in my internet wanderings I came across a cone splitter video..
    its basically a large threaded cone, a giant wood screw, used to
    split wood.

here's an image:
    http://www.hycrack.co.uk/images/hycrack_home2B.jpg

don't really want to make one, but got me thinking.. how would one
    go about making something like this?

I suppose one could cut a large thread with a taper attachment in
    place?

I don't have a taper attachment.

Thoughts?

You got it.
    My guess would be a taper attachment.
    Just like single-point cutting NPT threads.

Comment

It can be done without a taper attachment. All you need is a threading die the right size.

Start at the wide end and when it gets to full depth index the cutter in and start again further down the cone.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

no need to make one ..

they are available cheap ..as a polishing mop arbor

all the best.markj

Comment

Evan: niiiiiice!

Mark, good catch! but these things are usually bigger. 6" OD or so,
          12" long? judging from the pics/vids.

but if i ever come across a stick i just gotta split...

Comment

Evan.. wait a minute.. you just pull a fast one? Wouldn't that cut
            annular rings? and not a thread?

Comment

CNC.

Taper attachments are good for about 10 degrees max.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead
                I love the change in TPI near the tip. That just tickles my '... How the hell??'
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I used to make those tapered buffing arbors with threads as shown by aboard epsilon by using my manual tracing attachment while threading.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead
                    Wouldn't that cut annular rings? and not a thread?
                    You still use the feed, same as you would for single pointing, but set the compound for the angle. Obviously you have to be careful to stop when the thread is at full depth.
                    Thread die inserts can be a time saver, leave a great finish, and as Evan shows, can be a real help in some tricky situations.

Comment

Evan.. wait a minute.. you just pull a fast one? Wouldn't that cut
                      annular rings? and not a thread?
                      No, it's used exactly the same as single point threading except it insures that the threads bottoms overlap at full depth. You could use just two points to do it but then you would have to index down the cone one thread pitch at a time. Regardless, you only let it cut one full thread pitch and then reset to cut again deeper, same as regular threading.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The cone was done with thread-milling on a mill ,doing that with the lathe will give you problems with the end climbing over the threading tool and braking of

done some before

Comment

If i remember right that cone was called a "Stickler" or something like that.

Lots of ads for them back in the wood burning craze of the 70's-80's in mags like Mother Earth News etc.

You were supposed to jack up your'e vehicles one side and bolt it onto the wheel studs, put it in gear and Split Away.

Wonder how many got a broken arm or?? when the stop slipped and the block spun around wildly. (Maybe wiping out the rear fender?)

These were in competion i gues with the "Stutz" "Monster Mall' That after 5 minutes only "Popeye" could keep swinging it.

Comment

Seen that

In a former life I worked for a power equipment distributor, we sold the Stickler. All the dealers sold them like hot cakes. One dealer never sold any. after much asking it turned out he demonstrated it at a county fair, it was raining and he had on a long raincoat, unbuttoned. Also he didn't put the emergency stop button on the rear fender over the cone. In front of a huge crowd he got the rain coat caught in the cone, luckily one of the guys watching had sense enough to turn the key off on the pickup. Those things have a tendency to cull the herd, big time.

Old Time

Comment

looks brilliant ...
                              not good for accident prone people

appears to be safe with auto transmission

would be a real pain with manual transmission ....i see now what you mean by the size of it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99U-_ckFn2Q

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                              X