Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JoeFin
    replied
    Originally posted by hardtail
    Man after your afternoon I need a nap.......
    Hardtail thats 2 1/2 days work

    Leave a comment:


  • hardtail
    replied
    Man after your afternoon I need a nap..........

    They used to call me Mr 80% but thats pushin it these days.......don't think I could hang with you......unless they call you 20........

    Leave a comment:


  • doctor demo
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFin
    After I knock the rust off the column of the Craftsman drill press it will be right around 2". But right now the rust is so thick I don't think measuring it accurately is an option
    If You'd start playing with bigger toys it would be a whole lot easier for Me to give You stuff.
    The col. I have is 2-3/4" X 31''

    Steve

    Leave a comment:


  • JoeFin
    replied
    Originally posted by doctor demo
    Did You ever measure the diameter of the Craftsman Column ?

    Nice fan by the way, ya know that plastic ones can be had for about five bucks
    Steve
    After I knock the rust off the column of the Craftsman drill press it will be right around 2". But right now the rust is so thick I don't think measuring it accurately is an option

    Leave a comment:


  • Carld
    replied
    Ahhhh, well Joe, I'd say you have been a busy feller. Doin' some nice work too.

    Leave a comment:


  • doctor demo
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFin
    Well we had a really great thread the other day about "Fear of Finishing" and I thought it was about time I started.
    So first I had to make a taller post . I used a piece of 1 1/2" sched 40 pipe and it didn't give me too much extra to cut, but some how I squeezed it out



    Did You ever measure the diameter of the Craftsman Column ?

    Nice fan by the way, ya know that plastic ones can be had for about five bucks
    Steve

    Leave a comment:


  • JoeFin
    replied
    Then of course I had to try a new media formulation I have been meaning to do for a very long time. The original mix had a mixture of 3/4" Cones, 5/8" Triangles, 1/2" Triangles, 5/16" x 3/4" Cross-Cut Logs. I added 10 lbs of 1/4" Pyramids (sharp) and 10lbs of 1/2" x 3/16" thick Triangles. And does it cut down fast to a nice medium matte finish



    and NOW finally I was able to finish the part I was working on and install it on my lathe

    Here guys is the "Holder" for the Taper Attachment on my Leblond 13

    Last edited by JoeFin; 08-17-2011, 08:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoeFin
    replied
    So not wanting to wait to weeks to get replacement coupling straps in true HSM form I decided to make my own. I chose some good thick 1" radiator hose because of the kevlar insides. Cut the hose to length and then drilled out the mounting holes. So far the straps are holding up pretty good



    After replacing the burned up motor with a Baldor 1 phase 2 hp motor I realized I was missing the motor fan and cover. - Well you guessed it - I had to make 1 of those too. Here is the fan blade I CNCed out of some .625" billet Aluminum



    and then I had to fabricate a fan cover to direct the air over the body of the motor. I cut out the back part from some .125" Al plate I had laying around and then cut out some 3" x 12" x .125" strips of Aluminum. I had to tack the strip to the round cover then bend it around tack again and repeat until I had formed the shroud. Here is Aluminum motor cover with the fan underneath it installed on the motor and in the Vibratory finisher - it "Blows"

    Last edited by JoeFin; 08-17-2011, 08:16 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoeFin
    started a topic Finishing

    Finishing

    Well we had a really great thread the other day about "Fear of Finishing" and I thought it was about time I started.

    you ever have 1 of those little Happy Fart Drill presses that you just can't seem to fit any thing in. Will I sure do and needed to put a little 4" piece in a vise and of course it won't fit under the 3/8 drill bit. Geez does that suck - so I thought it was time I did some thing about it.

    So first I had to make a taller post for my little Happy Fart Drill press. I used a piece of 1 1/2" sched 40 pipe and it didn't give me too much extra to cut, but some how I squeezed it out



    and of course I'm the first kid on my block to have a "Happy Fart Drillzilla"



    Then of course I had to move on to finishing the piece I was working on. So I turned my attention towards my little vibratory finisher. I had burned up the motor but more over it needed a complete going over



    I know it hasn't been greased since the day it was created and possibly not even then so I started off with a grease gun loaded with a good Molly blend grease when I found these - the coupling straps were toast and badly in need of replacement. Pictured below is the 1 good strap that wasn't broken free

    Last edited by JoeFin; 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM.
Working...
X