OT: Domain registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Domain registration

Hi. Yea yea, its pertty OT, But a few people have made thier own websites here so I thought id ask.. What do you do about privacy?

I don't want to put all my personal info for world+dog to see in my domain registration. Or have people suddenly calling me on my 40cents/minute phone line trying to sell my crap or steal my passwords or other phishing BS.

Are there any good services to use that hide that information/not have to enter it? (idealy NOT related to godaddy, Heard to much bad stuff about them)

Allready have a website service I wanna host with.. (Ehosting.ca) that is recommended by a friend of mine.. seems cheap enough for thier basic plan. ($2 a month. Don't want lame ads/tracking or other free webhost BS)
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

You can register your domain thru a proxy. The annual charge is nominal, maybe a few $.

Go-daddy is OK, the problem I find is with their outgoing email protocols not working the way they should.
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Go to Network solutions.
      http://www.networksolutions.com/;jse...2fc306704:hQCK

I have several domains registered with them, also a few with Godaddy.

They offer private listings for a few extra bucks.
      I have had good luck with either, but I don't have privacy on any of my domains, if someone wants to spam me that's their problem.
      Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by KIMFAB
        Go to Network solutions.
        http://www.networksolutions.com/;jse...2fc306704:hQCK

I have several domains registered with them, also a few with Godaddy.

They offer private listings for a few extra bucks.
        I have had good luck with either, but I don't have privacy on any of my domains, if someone wants to spam me that's their problem.
        $34.99 per year + $9.99 for privacy for domain name seems a little much for a .com, most other places offer $20 or less for a .com

Anyone heard of http://www.moniker.com/ ? Unfortualy it seems I need to make an account before I even see prices -_-;

<edit> found prices... and a messed up add to cart button.. meh. anyway. pertty cheap, $9+$4 for privacy per year... Some complaints about them online too but more good then bad it seems.. *shrugs*
        <edit> .... Apparently they work on prepay, thats ok.. I try and prepay and.... It asks me to open a support ticket to enable that feature on my account....

I need to open a support ticket to enable paying them money????? wtf kinda broken company is this -_-;
        Last edited by Black_Moons; 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I've got quite a few domain names registered with godaddy, some have privacy, and I've never had any problems. I'd actually say they're one of the better companies for domain registration.

I wouldn't touch them for hosting though, unless it was something really non-critical!

Comment

Network Solutions is a major ripoff. I have been using DomainsAtCost.ca for many years and their prices are rock bottom. They also provide hosting as well as domain registration privacy. I have about six domains registered there and have never had any problem.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I use moniker. Cant complain. It works. I have never had any issues other than people wanting to buy my domain from me.

Thing is I have never done anything with it. I have MacOS Server running on it but have never gotten around to doing anything other than what is default: http://www.biehler.us

Comment

I use domainsatcost.ca strictly for registration. The best deal in town for hosting is HostPapa. Unlimited everything costs me about 10 bucks per month. That's unlimited traffic, domains, email, ftp, disk space and one free domain registration with signup forever. They also have lots of features and software included.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention the high price of network solutions.
                  They were the original outfit for registration and back when I did my first registrations there was no other choice.

Since then others like Godaddy have cropped up and cost much less.

I do my hosting locally so I can't help on that.
                  Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

ehosting has some nice plans starting at just $2 a month for 200mb (or 400 meg with 2 year signup) and 'unlimited' bandwidth, lol, unlimited as if!, for $5 you get 2 or 4gigs, but only 500gig/month bandwidth? lol. I would rather I know my disk/bandwidth limits then just get canceled outta the blue for 'abuse'

though now that iv bought one I gotta figure out how to make my domain point at it and such... Changed the nameservers but now it just doesnt resolve

Comment

You have to wait a while after changing the naemserver for it to propagate. I just did the same thing a couple of days ago for the 1st time and it caught me out too.
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I wouldn't recommend godaddy. The company I work for has had a few domains registered with godaddy. It is SLOW! Created a subdomain, took close to an hour to take effect. Tried to use the Mantis bug tracker, takes about 15 minutes to send notification emails. Tried to upload a 16MByte file, took close to 30 minutes, with occasional data flow and mostly stall. Called them up and the answer was, "if you want fast response, get our "dedicated server" service.

Privately, I have been using bluehost.com. Don't see any of the above problems and their support is excellent. I especially like the "live chat" support, which is quite nice when you are outside of the US.
                        Last edited by taydin; 08-19-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Propagation of name server changes or new domains is not just dependent on the registering authority. Once they propagate it the change must then be downloaded to update secondary name servers all over the planet. That can take at least 24 hours or longer.

Comment

I use www.nomonthlyfees.com and have never had any of the problems you mention. My site cost me $125 per year including domain reg and some free perks along the way like right now they owe me two free domain registrations if I should decide to create more webs. Then, after the first year the domanin name reg is part of the fee. Can't beat it with a stick IMHO.

PS. If you really want privacy do some reading on meta files and enter "noscan" in the meta file and all the the search engines will ignore any page with that in the meta file for that page.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                              I use www.nomonthlyfees.com and have never had any of the problems you mention. My site cost me $125 per year including domain reg and some free perks along the way like right now they owe me two free domain registrations if I should decide to create more webs. Then, after the first year the domanin name reg is part of the fee. Can't beat it with a stick IMHO.

PS. If you really want privacy do some reading on meta files and enter "noscan" in the meta file and all the the search engines will ignore any page with that in the meta file for that page.
                              Ah, I want people to visit my website, I just don't want them to be able to know exactly who I am
                              Ended up paying $9 for the domain for a year, with privacy registration (discount deal? Normaly should be $9+$4 but whatever there was a special)
                              And $2 a month with a 2 year signup, so $24 for hosting.. $33+tax for a years website, not bad really.

www.cyberlazy.com is finaly up if you wanted to see it... (Not that theres much there)

Comment

Working...
                              X