OT woud like opinions on the VW diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT woud like opinions on the VW diesel

Since I took a new job that requires a 45 minute commute each day I'm seriously considering a VW Jetta TDI diesel. It's assembled in Mexico, but uses German made engines & trans-axles. If you have experience with these cars please let me know as I'm looking for something with excellent fuel economy and that will last at least 250K miles if properly maintained.

Thanks in advance.

Stan

Great little car until you have to work on it. Most every part, except the very basic, is a "Dealer Only" item. Read that as EXPENSIVE. Look for the power door locks and electric windows to give trouble after a few years. If you get the manual transmission, keep an eye out for oil drips. If the rear main seal goes out or leaks, it takes the clutch with it. That's about a $2,000-$2,500 job that includes dropping the entire front power train assembly from the bottom.

But hey, you might drive it for years and change nothing but oil, filters and tires.

Comment

I'm considering the 2012 version that is being built in Chattanooga. Not the Jetta but the Passat. A very nice car. Much larger and still gets over 40MPG. Have several friends who drive the TDI's and they all like them. With fuel prices continuing to rise I think this is going to be a very high demand vehicle.

Comment

Like Ken stated - volkswagon has gotten away from their roots - far away.

You can't even run anything but dealer oil or you will destroy the camshaft in the TDI jetta,

besides a few quirks I like the older TDI jetta's - I don't like the new ones,

volkswagon used to mean "folkswagon" --- a car for the people - not anymore.

I think their overpriced and it does nothing but get worse when you need parts and/or service.

on the flip side - If I had to design a car that would get the biggest bang for the buck at the gas pump it would be a little turbo diesel - It's sad that Honda actually has diesels in most all their models but we can't get them in the U.S.

Comment

No help I know,but I had 3 VW Rabbit Diesels & loved them 55MPG. Now a heavy 3/4ton HD 4x4 Dodge truck with a 5.9 Cummins 23MPG.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

I have two passats... she who must be obeyed drives a 2009 new style .. and I drive a 2005 old shape one.
            Neither have given any problem..and both deliver good fuel economy.

50-60 mpg is regular on long journeys and I have had over 70 mpg readout out of mine.

Rob

Comment

Damn that's tough to beat - by the looks of your tach redline your sporting a diesel also but I was unaware that the passat's could achieve those kind of numbers - very impressive.

For the record we are talking a standard U.S. gallon right?

what liter engine? is it turbo'ed ?

In a way im getting the biggest bang for the buck that I ever had but it's not in fuel economy,
              I just bought a little Del Sol V-tec and am hopping it up some without interfering with MPG's, I haven't had it on a long trip yet but im thinking between 35 and 40 mpg's of the most action packed driving iv done on four wheels - lots of fun but only room for two...
              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-20-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I don't know how many miles your commute is, so I will use my own commute as an example.
                50 miles round trip, 240 days a year = 12000 miles.
                At 20mpg (old car) that's 600 gallons a year.
                At 29mpg (new car) that's 413 gallons a year.
                The difference is 187 gallons and if the price of gasoline is $3.75, the new car is saving me $701.25 per year.

Big deal. If the old car was paid for and serviceable for the long term, the fuel savings, no matter what the fuel economy, wouldn't go far enough in justifying the cost of a new car. Now, if I needed (wanted ) a newer car for other reasons, the savings can be used to justify paying a little more for the more efficient car.

Run your own numbers.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I got an Aunt and Uncle that have been diesel VW drivers for decades.The latest however was a Passat gas burner as at the time they bought it the diesel option was another $8,000.The cost per mile in savings just didn't make it worth it on a car they planned to keep six years.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

WB that's all good if you just want to be a number cruncher and get to the bottom line of how it will impact your wallet - but some may argue that their are far bigger fish to fry with being more efficient - like actual lives saved from not having meddle in other parts of the world where we really don't belong - or like the side effects on the planet of burning the extra fuel in the first place - or even getting back to the wallet - the increased cost to everyone that is associated with higher demands...

Im just saying to maybe curb the minds that are on the fence - if it even comes close to breaking even then the choice is obvious,
                    were all in this massive "fish bowl" together and we all have to poop in the water - it's kinda like gluttony - if I see someone stuffing themselves just to see how big of a turd they can create I get kinda disgusted - I feel the same way when I see someone commuting 70 miles round trip alone in their hummer - and it's my right to have a negative opinion on that, because it's my fish bowl too goddddammit.

maybe someone doesn't like my mileage numbers - and you know what, if their overall impact is lower then they have the right to speak up about it.

Comment

"You can't even run anything but dealer oil or you will destroy the camshaft in the TDI jetta,"

I'm not sure how one can make a statement like that. What magical oil could the dealer have? So what does the warranty say? And why is everything a dealer job?

Granted, and many cars, the electronics can only be diagnosed by dealer instruments, but mechanics are mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                        Damn that's tough to beat - by the looks of your tach redline your sporting a diesel also but I was unaware that the passat's could achieve those kind of numbers - very impressive.

For the record we are talking a standard U.S. gallon right?

what liter engine? is it turbo'ed ?
                        The model is the 2004/5 Passat Highline 1.9 TDI ... in the UK on its slightly larger gallon....and driven like a nun on valium with everything turned off.(aircon etc).

It was done on a two hour run from Derby to Grimsby,which is fairly flat and mostly sea level..

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rws
                          "You can't even run anything but dealer oil or you will destroy the camshaft in the TDI jetta,"

I'm not sure how one can make a statement like that.
                          I can believe it... For my 1.9 TDI the oil is long life 5w40 VW505.01 spec suitable for the "Pumpe Duse" engine..

Very expensive from the dealer ,and $60 a gallon from cheaper alternatives. The VW/audi/seat/skoda forums have lots of anecdotal stories of destroyed engines using cheaper oils.

Rob

Comment

AK, I would enjoy being high minded about such things if I could afford it. Not only that, but I expect to get 10 years of service out of the car. Why, other than green considerations, would I drive a car for that length of time that I didn't particularly like? I am fortunate (maybe...) that I will be retiring in a few years. Then my environmental footprint will get smaller - As it is, I take every opportunity that presents itself to work at home and avoid the commute and avoid burning 1.75 gallons of gas.

There are those who are less fortunate, and have to get to work by any means possible. Sometimes that means driving a bargain gas-hog with the ongoing pay-at-the-pump penalty. The numbers work for them to survive, but in doing so it causes the greenies some apoplexy and anguish.
                            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Plus all their diesels now have a catalyst..plus a device for holding some sort of magical mystery fluid...that periodically gets injected into the cat and burns the soot out of it.

So, your magical mystery fluid device adds to the cost of running it..that plus your expensive oil ..plus all manner of gizzmos and gadgets, plus those short lived expensive dual mass flywheel clutches that will fail along the way before you reach 50.000 miles ..the new breed aint anything like the old breed ...dont go by VW's laurels..that's what i say.

There was a test report the other day in the telegraph newspaper ..about running costs per mile ..taking into account purchase price depreciation, spares, servicing, insurance ..everything

interesting reading ...the all electric or hybrid cars faired the worse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...motorists.html

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                              X