No announcement yet.

Going to take a look at a bridgy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Comet same size. Bought it for 400.00 as scrap iron. I had to replace some missing parts ( rt table end plate & bearings, quill feed knob ,belts etc.)
    All the parts I installed were from used bridgeports and fit like the were made for it except the vari drive belt. I bought the belt for a "clone" (was told they were different from the bridgeport belt)and its too wide, it works but the speed readings are off. My son uses Bridgeports at work and perfers the comet.

Comment

Bridgeports made quite a favorable impression in their earlier years after introduction. The neat thing about them was that, for a fairly compact and lightweight machine, they had capabilities and versatility that many larger milling machines did not. From small machine shops to large industrial users, they've played a significant part. As a result, there are many clones or near clones of the design. However, they were never intended to replace the very large milling machines common in industry. People who dislike Bridgeports may be expecting them to do tasks they were never designed to do , or may be using worn out Bridgeports that will not hold the tolerances of a new one.

Comment

Bill,
        I'd agree with your assesment 100%. But their biggest selling point is just how versitile they are. From a HSM perspective they are pretty well what most people would ever need.

Design wise, They are a really limber machine in comparison to even a hobby sized horizontal mill. I've seen a few pictures on this forum of depth of cuts taken with a 1/2 hp Atlas horizontal mill that would be totally impossible with my 3 hp Bridgeport clone. But those horizontals won't or can't do a lot of jobs as easy as a Bridgeport type will. If the OP for this thread isn't looking for the absolute highest industrial metal removal rates then a Bridgeport type in half decent shape should work just fine.

All joking aside, I'm quite sure if you poured enough ale down Sir Johns throat, Then sooner or later you could get him to admitt in public that "Bridgys" are versitile and do have some good points besides holding down the shop floor.

Pete

Comment

There isn't that much Ale in the world!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Experiment

Sir John seems like an accommodating sort. I'll bet he'd be willing to play along to see if you're right. Out of fairness to John in exchange for his valuable time the chemicals in question should be provided by the author of said experiment of course.
            Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
              Seeing as it was Christmas I gave the two directors £500 cash
              each. Collected it New Years Day, set off at 10:00am and was back in the house at 2:00pm with it in bits in the van.
              I can just imagine it.... A dark dreary pea souper fog whisking around the town of Nottingham... A mysterious man in a great overcoat is seen slinking his way towards a house carrying two brown paper bags.... The contents of which only he knows..... He brushes past people in the fog and they barely notice his existence... He is then seen posting one of the brown paper bags through the letter slot of a house, then he disappears once again into the fog, to do unknown deeds....
              Precision takes time.

Comment

B/F, Tool Guy, .RC. Good ones.

Pete
                Last edited by uncle pete; 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

This one here had a 105mm quill.... Much larger then the standard bridgy of 87.something..
                  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250891787726
                  And currently we have this stout looking baby cinci

powered overarm and all http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190579182155
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
                  X