Engine Rebuild - youtube series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild - youtube series

I've always thought it would be fun/interesting/challenging to rebuild an engine or at least help someone else, but have never had the opportunity.

Stumbled across this video series which I found informative, as well as entertaining. I suspect also, some bad examples.

The guy states right up front that he's not a professional, but just a homeshop guy.

Posting it here just in case others might also have an interest. It's in 11 parts. Part 8 includes a little machining, where he widens some of the piston ring grooves. You can tell right off, he's not a professional machinist either.
    Enjoy. (or not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbHH...eature=related
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Well, the one important thing he said was to get a friend that knows what he's doing to help you. The rest of the video's is most likely what his friend has told him to do and say. It's probably a good starter set of video's.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

LOL

episode 8

he says looks pretty good ..if i drank coffee it would be every where.
      i don't think so

crash bang wallop..three jaw.. cheap Chinese lathe

I wouldn't go there ...it's a wonder he didn't destroy the piston

thanks for that lynn made my day

all the best.markj
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I watched a bit of it up to the point where he gets the cutoff tool to bite. I couldn't watch anymore
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I love You Tube instruction videos. This one is very popular,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FEafi_NYOc
          Gene

Comment

I'm sorry - I had to stop when he didn't know what a rod end cap was.
            edit: I would have loved to see the lathe part.
            I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
            Scott

Comment

Ouch! Why is he cutting the ring grooves? I've been rebuilding engines for over 45 years and never had to do that.....unless, of course, I was making a new piston.

Looks to be an ole 7.3 Powersmoke Ford. I'm sure there will be a few of them rebuilt in home garages and back alleys as time goes on, Even more 6.0 Powersmokes, though.
              No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

In the part 8, machining the ring grooves, to impress his wife with his expertise, he refers to his travel indicator as a "dial caliper", or maybe it was "digital caliper."

He had trouble with a lot of the proper terms, including engine "block."

You're right on Saltmine. It was a 7.(something) Ford diesel.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                  LOL

episode 8

he says looks pretty good ..if i drank coffee it would be every where.
                  i don't think so

crash bang wallop..three jaw.. cheap Chinese lathe

I wouldn't go there ...it's a wonder he didn't destroy the piston

thanks for that lynn made my day

all the best.markj

had to watch just because of this comment. That is some great stuff right there!
                  Andy

Comment

I literally laughed out loud when I saw the piston in the little 7x12. Darn thing wanted to flip over. And his comment about the knife being dull...

Comment

I only watched the first video and I just watched #8 and geez, is this guy related to Airsmith? Maybe Airsmith taught him.

I retract my statement in my first post, this guy is DANGEROUS. It's amazing how many people that don't have a clue how to do something right want to make a video telling others how to do something.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
                        Ouch! Why is he cutting the ring grooves? I've been rebuilding engines for over 45 years and never had to do that.....unless, of course, I was making a new piston.

Looks to be an ole 7.3 Powersmoke Ford. I'm sure there will be a few of them rebuilt in home garages and back alleys as time goes on, Even more 6.0 Powersmokes, though.

Its an IDI, not a powerstroke, Close enough though ...
                        Justin Anderson
                        Fortynine Industries

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                          I only watched the first video and I just watched #8 and geez, is this guy related to Airsmith? Maybe Airsmith taught him.

I retract my statement in my first post, this guy is DANGEROUS. It's amazing how many people that don't have a clue how to do something right want to make a video telling others how to do something.
                          Kinda makes you think twice about buying a used car, eh?
                          Maybe airsmith is his neighbor that's doing the teaching.

Comment

Absolutely unbelievable!
                            I didn't watch the whole series...but I did see enough to know that I don't want him touching my wheelbarrow.

But in all fairness he did get it running.

He said something about using it in his submarine.

Looking at one of his other videos I can see he is nothing if not consistent.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I can't see what all the angst is about. The guy is not afraid to try something new, and certainly not afraid to have a laugh with himself.

Take a look at some of his other videos to see some of what he has accomplished.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X