12" Atlas Parts Question!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" Atlas Parts Question!!!

Hi guys just a quick question on a Atlas 12". After I bought this machine I noticed alot of thngss wrong with it (hence the low cost!!). The quick change cover is broke, the handle's for the change gears are broken, and so is the Forward/Reverse lever. Along with the crossfeed handle being broke I had no luck finding the parts on Ebay of Craigslist. If I want to buy a complete machine off Craigslist for around 6 to 7 hundred dollars, or call Clausing and be ready to get rapped!!!, I was wondering if anyone has made the parts out of steel to replace them??. This lathe is more then salvagable and the ways are nearly perfect!!. I bought a Forward/Reverse lever off Ebay last week but it looks like one off an earlier model (very thin) and don't know if it will work. Just putting some feelers out there to way my options!!. I appreciate any and all of your advice on this!!. As always Thanks in advance...............................Allan

Sounds annoying but not too serious. If you're talking about the handle that locks the banjo for the change gears, a nut and washer will work. You can make something there easily enough even with a coupling nut with a cross hole in it. The crossfeed handle is a fairly standard balanced handle that you can get several places from Grizzly to McMaster Carr and MSC. It has a 3/8" hole and a keyway so you may have to bore or sleeve and produce a keyway somehow. It's not a critical one since it's only giving you a grip on the leadscrew so even if it were sloppy it's only a minor feeling annoyance since you're depending on the dial for actual slide position.

By reverse lever are you talking about the reverse tumbler or the dog clutch lever on the early, no quick change gear box lathes?

You can probably find more specific help including parts at the Yahoo Atlas/Craftsman discussion group.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Keep watching ebay. There are a couple sellers that seem to put these Atlas/Craftsman parts up all the time. You've got the lathe, try making the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5
        Keep watching ebay. There are a couple sellers that seem to put these Atlas/Craftsman parts up all the time. You've got the lathe, try making the parts.

Thanks for the reply guys!!. The reverse tumbler gear which is attached to the banjo is the one that's broken off. It's all there except the pin and handle which lock it in the holes. The one I got off Ebay is thinner and may be from an earlier year??. Mine is so much thicker, and the listing states it's for a 10/12" Atlas lathe. As for making the parts I thought about cutting some handles from some 3/4 low carbon steel and using my Enco mill and Clausing lathe to fabricate the 2 broken handles on the QC for the Atlas!!. I just don't know about the serviceability on the A36 ???. I think it's Do-able!!.

Comment

What model 12" do you have? I have some extra atlas stuff laying around I can part with. Have any pics of the lathe and the levers it needs?
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
            What model 12" do you have? I have some extra atlas stuff laying around I can part with. Have any pics of the lathe and the levers it needs?

Thanks Andy!!, I'm at work right now so pictures are not available right now. I know they make 2 types of the model 12". There is a desk type and a bench style. Mine is the bench style with a QC box. I can send pictures and a model number tomorrow morning. I will Be in touch. Thanks....... Allan

Comment

If it is an Atlas 12", not the Craftsman 12", it is the later machine with the heavier bed. Some of the bits and pieces such as the gear will differ from the earlier versions but will be serviceable until something better turns up. The gears are standard gears and commercial gears can be adapted.

There is nothing wrong with fabbing replacement parts. Most of the steel parts were leaded steel and low carbon will work just fine.
              Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                If it is an Atlas 12", not the Craftsman 12", it is the later machine with the heavier bed. Some of the bits and pieces such as the gear will differ from the earlier versions but will be serviceable until something better turns up. The gears are standard gears and commercial gears can be adapted.

There is nothing wrong with fabbing replacement parts. Most of the steel parts were leaded steel and low carbon will work just fine.
                I took some photo's of the machine this morning. The model is a #3986 and it is an Atlas!!, not Craftsman. I believe I'm not allowed to post pictures here, or for that matter it will not allow me??. Is the Craftsman and Atlas QC gear box interchangable?. It may be to my benifit to just look out for the QC on ebay as I've seen several go through there. Price and condition way in a major factor seeing that some of them folks seem mighty proud of the QC's there selling!!. Just don't see any of them as heavy built as mine!!. Don't know what to do??, make it or buy it??

.............................Allan

Comment

I just uploaded the pictures on Photo Bucket. I hope this works. Below are the links:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...Picture862.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...Picture861.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...Picture863.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...Picture864.jpg

Comment

You might try Joe at Plaza machinery for some parts, I know he has some Atlas stuff on his list.

http://www.plazamachinery.com/
                    I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                    Scott

Comment

Not nice to see any lathe get dropped on it's face

The tumbler lever is an easy repair with a bit of angle and spring-loaded plunger. Gerbox levers a bit more of a challenge but not too hard. Is the cross-slide screw bent?
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

That is the later Atlas lathe. It and its sister Craftsman Commercial 12" lathe have some different parts than the earlier Atlas series and there might be some difficulties in fitting a QC gearbox if not from the proper series lathe. This will add to the difficulty and expense.

Parts lists are available on eBay for either machine and a comparison will show which parts are common. Atlas retained the same part number regardless of where it was used. I cobbled together a couple of basket case Atlas machines once to make one and ran into problems due to the thicker bed of the later machine. This changes the relation of the location of the lead screw to the rest of the lathe.

An early QC gear box might not fit, but the internals might be the same.
                        Jim H.

Comment

How thick is the change gear casting?
                          I have one that is aprox. 11.9 mm (.465 inch) complete with spring loaded handle/stop assembly. It's yours for $5. plus shipping if you can use it.

Comment

I had that model lathe in 1974. I was glad to get rid of it and get a decently hefty 10" x 24" Jet. Took forever to machine mild steel with it. I'd advise not putting a lot of money into it for parts. The Jet would make a part in an hour that took most of a day to make with the Craftsman/Atlas.

The original guarantee with that lathe was that it would do work accurate to .001" ONE INCH from the chuck. That was truly about it!!Take the benefit of my real life experience,and get a heavier lathe. If not,you will find out for yourself the hard way.
                            Last edited by gwilson; 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                              I had that model lathe in 1974. I was glad to get rid of it and get a decently hefty 10" x 24" Jet. Took forever to machine mild steel with it. I'd advise not putting a lot of money into it for parts. The Jet would make a part in an hour that took most of a day to make with the Craftsman/Atlas.

The original guarantee with that lathe was that it would do work accurate to .001" ONE INCH from the chuck. That was truly about it!!Take the benefit of my real life experience,and get a heavier lathe. If not,you will find out for yourself the hard way.
                              He said he's got a Clausing, which is heavier. Every time the Atlas subject comes up you crap all over it. There are thousands of these machines out there doing excellent work. I know mine will hold much better than what you stated. Give it a break. This is HSM (HOME SHOP Machinist), not Practical Machinist.

Comment

Working...
                              X