OT: how to keep racoons away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: how to keep racoons away?

It's the second time this month that racoons (or maybe foxes) have eaten our pets (neighhors and I), this time it was a little kitten. The owners were away when the cats were out, the creature was found gutted on their driveway.

I've been told mothballs scare them away, but I never understood how that works and thus doubted it. Eagle statues have enough trouble keeping seaguls away, so why would mothballs work ...

Perhaps a high-pitch sound device?

When that happens around here it's either coyotes or bobcats.

Best way to keep racoons away - remove food sources. I have a neighbor that feeds her cats outside - with unlimited food. Even though she tries, it's hard to deny the racoons are feasting when it snows (tracks)

Comment

Spray em with the hose whenever you see em. Thats how i got em to stay the hell away from my place.

Alternatively, Live traps. Release, far, far, FAR away.

And yes, remove food sources, and keep young cats indoors when not supervised if you can.

High pitched device will annoy the hell outta your cats/dogs too.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, I would lean to 'yotes when small pets start to disappear. And they are far more likely to be found around human activities than bobcats. Bobcats tend to be more reclusive and less tolerant of human presence.

I have trapped, shot, and poisoned them, (back in the day). Coyotes are virtually impossible to totally eradicate from an area. They are very adaptable. With semi urban and even urban populations are on the rise. Your best defence is to keep small pets under close observation while outside and keep an eye out for signs of predators.

dalee
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

As others have suggested, a live trap works very well...

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/raccoon

Other companies make them as well.

Comment

12ga with #4 shot if you are in the country....

Comment

Agreed - I have never seen or heard of coons killing and eating pets, but coyotes do it all the time. My wife and I live in a semi-rural area and have lost two large grown tomcats and a female pit bull to coyotes. The pit put up a good fight but she couldn't repel a dozen of them - I always go for payback when we hear them yelping...

Comment

with such a diverse crowd here, I'm surprise no one has suggested 'eat 'em'

Comment

Go to the local feed store & get fly bait(blue crystels for horses & cattle). dissolve crystles in a small amount of warm water. Then add Pepsi, you want it fizzzy. Put in alum pie plate. They love it & will drop dead right by the pan.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                    Go to the local feed store & get fly bait(blue crystels for horses & cattle). dissolve crystles in a small amount of warm water. Then add Pepsi, you want it fizzzy. Put in alum pie plate. They love it & will drop dead right by the pan.
                    Make sure no cats or dogs are around - they'll "love" it, too...

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                      with such a diverse crowd here, I'm surprise no one has suggested 'eat 'em'
                      Well I don't, but have know people that do.

As others have said racoons are difficult to get rid of if there is food, water & shelter. However, I too think this is most likely the work of coyotes as they adapt to urban areas quite well. To keep your pets safe, it is advisable to put them in at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                        Spray em with the hose whenever you see em. Thats how i got em to stay the hell away from my place.
                        I did that, darn things came back for the next 5 days with a bar of soap and a wash cloth..... Seriously, I tried that trick for 5 days running... didn't work for the ones in my neighborhood.

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                        Alternatively, Live traps. Release, far, far, FAR away.
                        Good thing you are up north. Down in the states, in most states, that will get you in LOTS of trouble. Can't move critters down here.

Originally posted by HWooldridge
                        Agreed - I have never seen or heard of coons killing and eating pets
                        They do, I know a couple people that saw raccoons kill their dogs... not eat them but kill them. One dog was a Jack Russel (I believe) and the other was a Labrador.

Originally posted by HWooldridge
                        but coyotes do it all the time.
                        I have watched coyotes hunt dogs many times. Kinda fun to watch, If you stop it before they get to the dog. Coyotes are VERY smart animals.

I have heard a 50lb bow and rubber blunts tend to keep the critters away. Can't say I have personally tried it... but so I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                          Well I don't, but have know people that do.
                          two stories. Once I was driving back from a weekend up north in the winter. On a back road, with big snow banks, it was fairly narrow. So this truck I'm following stops and i can't easily get by so i stop behind.....'my other brother Darryl' gets out grabs a dead coon he spotted on the side of the road and throws it in the back of the truck

wtf?

roadside frozen coon for dinner?

Second story. A guy I know, he's very old now, sort of a guys guy huntin & fishin bubba, used to go coon hunting with his posse. Worth a couple of hundred million but stil a country good old boy. As he told it, coon hunting is done by these sorts with dogs, lots of beer, flash lights and shot guns...at night. The dogs lead you to a tree, you shine the light up (I've never partaken) and blast away until no more coons fall out of the tree. Then, when you can't drink anymore, you throw them in the back of the pick up, drive down the concession and stuff one in everybody's mailbox. . Imagine finding that mess the next day going to check the mail?

maybe they were related to the coon eaters in the first story and thought they were doing a version of WKRP distributing Christmas turkeys?

Two more ideas on what to do with coons

Comment

It is usually best to remove the food source. Otherwise, live trap then shoot 'em in the head with a .22. Resist the temptation to use your shotgun. The yahoo that borrowed my live trap last time had to buy me a new one when he blew mine to smithereens with his 12 ga.
                            Last edited by flathead4; 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM.
                            Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Mcgyver, Comical posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if they have yet instituted a racoon season in parts of Toronto?

Comment

Working...
                              X