Our simulator is done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our simulator is done.

If you recall, a while back I had posted about building a flight simulator for my daughter's Civil Air Patrol group. Well its done. And for he next 12 days it will be at the New York State fair. The CAP is in the tent with the 174 Air National Guard. So If you happen to be going, look them up.

That's very nice!
    I didn't see the original thread. Was that design off the top of your head?
    That looks like a lot of fun.
    Ted

Comment

Ah nifty, just hacking the controls to move the whole rig. Gives a nice momentium to the system too..

Reminds me of playing MS flight sim with a nice force feedback joystick. Man, with the glider, you could sware you had pushrods comming outta the joystick going to huge control surfaces.

Too bad the rest of that sim sucked
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Very nice. That is alot closer to any airplane that I saw when I was in the CAP.

Comment

flight sim

The Idea is not mine, but the design is. I modeled the basic frames out in ProE
          and cut and machined from there. It is all TIG welded (1000 lbs of argon)
          It works quite well mechanically, I got a report this afternoon that the computer's video card bit the dust!
          Eventually the plan is to have three screens. We have the three but not the computer for them. We'll have to save up the weekly dues I guess.
          Thanks for the comments!

Sid

Comment

That sure looks nice. All you need now is three more screens, one below for the panel and one on each side.

Hmm, just noticed that's in the plan...
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well Evan, that's what we're looking for. Any suggestions for a reasonably good setup to run three monitors and the flight sim program reasonably fast?
              At a good price?

Sid

Comment

Wow, looks fantastic! I can't see the welds, but the fabrication looks super clean. Love the Red/White/Blue paintjob!

I modeled the basic frames out in ProE
                Not surprised -- I can't see anyone coming up with that clean of a design without using CAD...

Having a hard time visualizing 1,000 lbs of argon. How many cuf? I went through ~200 cuf of argon on a 9-hour day of TIG'ing, and that sucked...
                Last edited by lazlo; 08-25-2011, 08:27 PM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Well, I had 1500 lbs in my tank when I started. Now I have just a little over 500 lbs. There were a lot of joints, and every one is 100% welded. All sorts of kids will be using this. Can't afford to have any failures.

Sid

Comment

That looks so much fun, nicely thought out and made too! Just the sort of thing we need at our little aviation museum but I am afraid some of the chaps might demand it be capable of aerobatics!

P.S. Our museum is the Ashburton Aviation Museum, if you want to Google for pictures, I dont think we have a web site yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski
                      Well, I had 1500 lbs in my tank when I started. Now I have just a little over 500 lbs. There were a lot of joints, and every one is 100% welded. All sorts of kids will be using this. Can't afford to have any failures.

Sid
                      1000 lbs is meaningless without knowing the size of the bottle.

Comment

1000 lbs ekuls 1000 psi????????????????????

--G

Comment

Yea, 1000 psi. I don't know how many cfm.
                          In any event, it was a lot of welding...............

Sid

Comment

Impressive is an understatement.

Any chance of a short video of it in operation?

Comment

I don't really have any of it when it was finished.
                              I should have taken some before they took it to the fair.
                              Maybe when they are done I can get some.

Sid

Comment

Working...
                              X