Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Learn Something Every Day (about billet that is)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Learn Something Every Day (about billet that is)

Was watching an episode of "Factory Made" showing how golf putters are carved out of billet.

The narrator was explaining how the material was mild carbon steel. He said it also contained a small amount of lead, "to make it softer to the golfer's hand when he strikes the ball."

I did not know that! (Still don't, for that matter. )

Now I'm sure someone at the manufacturing facility, providing a preliminary briefing before production of the film, told him that. Obviously one of the MBA bean counters. ...or do you suppose it was one of the ladies working in the dining facility?

He also said, during one of the CNC machining passes on the face of the club, that it had to be accurate to 2 millionths of an inch, to insure proper balance between club head and shaft. Otherwise it would throw off the putt. Maybe that's what's wrong with Tiger Woods' game lately. He got one that slipped through QC.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

The narrators on shows like "Factory Made" et al, usually have no idea what they're reading off of the script.
    I saw the episode where pliers were being deburred on a belt sander to insure "A High-Precission Fit."

Comment

Obviously sub-standard putters if they are using steel.

Everyone knows Billet HAS to be aluminium

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        Obviously sub-standard putters if they are using steel.

Aircraft grade aluminium no less! whatever alloy that is....
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Every gearhead non machine tool user just "knows" billet is the only thing to use for top quality parts. 2 millionths required? Didn't the Haggis Hunters invent that game for something to do with the wooden tree branch clubs and rocks while they took a break from killing the English with those same clubs and rocks? :-) Leaded steel makes it softer on the golfers hands? Guess If I hit someone with a lead hammer they won't notice.

Pete
          Last edited by uncle pete; 08-27-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete
            Every gearhead non machine tool user just "knows" billet is the only thing to use for top quality parts 2 millionths required? Didn't the Scotchmen invent that game for something to do with the wooden tree branch clubs and rocks while they took a break from killing the English with those same clubs and rocks?

Pete
            Hehe.
            Balanced? The damn stick isent even straight!
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Golf is a silly game.
              I quit when I discovered I couldn't get a better score than 18.
              Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                Golf is a silly game.

So you quit before getting to the second hole?
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                  Golf is a silly game.
                  18? You must really suck, I scored over 100 my first try!!

Comment

Last time I played I shot an 89 -- on the short nine. 'Nuff said.

Comment

What an idiot. Many many years ago, I worked for a summer at McGregor- Brunswick. I made golf clubs. NONE were made from "billet" or even from solid. Depending on price range they were either castings or forgings. The machining was limited to drilling and tapping the "hosel" (where the shaft is attached), and broaching it to shape. Some had an insert screwed into the face, where the ball contacts the clubhead. The rest of the work up to vibatory finishing and plating was done by hand. The hosel was ground concentric on a belt sander with a jig pressed against the grinders gut. The face was ground flat freehand. The back surfaces were ground freehand. These hand grinders were some of the highest paid employees.
                      Most of them were 17-4 ph, not carbon steel.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        No, no, no... anybody with an aftermarket motorcycle parts catalog knows that billet is just billet!

Comment

Billet was what I said when I took a finished job to the boss.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

an unrelated story, well to billets anyway [you can have steel billots, the billet casters at our steelplant are 6 strand continuous casters, billot are square section castings, slabs are rectangular but around the same thickness, there are blooms too, and a hybrid apparently at Lackenby called a sloom, not sure how they define that but up north they work bit differently!]
                            At an old steelplant i used to work at [duport steel] we used to make leaded steels for Free cutting, and i think some went into plate for battleships, why i dont know.
                            Anyway we used to get tickets every day that entitled us to free milk in the canteen, 2 pints a day was recomended! breathing apparatus would have been more suitable when casting a lead charge, or adding sulpher for that matter, its amazing what crap went on in factories before and up the seventies.
                            mark

Comment

Boslab,
                              Great story. Scary what some of the working conditions were like.

If I ever get to sell parts to somebody really rich their now going to be made from Bloom Sloom Billet, Or just to make it a catchy phrase, B.S. Billet.

Pete
                              Last edited by uncle pete; 08-27-2011, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X