Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching Machine Shop From Home - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This from the people that claim to have given the world the English language.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Well, Harwick your Hawarden somewhere else, Mark !

Anyway, its Woosta, as in Bertie.

My daughters wear helmets. Their dad doesn't. They know he's invincible.

DAto - if you can get liability insurance and pay it by the teaching hour, then I think you'll do well. What won't work out is if the only way you can cover yourself is with a flat, huge, annual fee. I'd be interested to know how it goes.
      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

double post ..sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
          So why did you let him break the law and ride 150' without a helmet on a dangeriously high bike? Then take a photo to share with other people to show off that you allowed him to break the law, encouraging others to follow the example?
          I think some people need something to bitch about. If there is nothing to bitch about then they have nothing to say. Its like the only saying, He who yells the loudest has the least to say.

Comment

Teaching nights at a vocational/adult education school won't be much different from not being retired. About twenty years ago I taught Industrial Electronics at a Palm Beach County tech school for three years. You will still be marching to another drummer and punching a clock. You may also find that that the daytime instructor has a habit of locking things up,.. that only he has a key for. No matter how many times I confronted the guy about my lack of access to instruments, I was shoveling sh*t against the tide!

I just retired this year. I suggest you do the same and ENJOY IT! The last thing you need at this point in your life is dealings with blood sucking lawyers!

Chris

BTW, I read a ton of "Nannie State Group Think" here but I'll bite my tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by gary350
              I think some people need something to bitch about. If there is nothing to bitch about then they have nothing to say. Its like the only saying, He who yells the loudest has the least to say.
              So thats explains why you post about ebay so often?

Seriously though, why would you let your kid ride a bike without a helmet, reguardless of distance, then show it off to people? Let alone a bike thats tall enough to be a serious hazard even if it fell over at 0mph?
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Other area's you are going to have to check out, Are your home owners insurance. Since most offer a add on for teachers, and of course in today's world a real good alarm system. as you may have a lot of lookee lou's that may be looking to fill orders. As has been suggested you may want to check out the local Comm. college or night school classes granted they don't pay for nothing. A round here, they were paying $15.00 per hour for the instructors for the adult enrichment classes at the local Macomb county comm college, a couple of years ago.

Different subject material, I know of somebody that was teaching silver smithing out of their house. One of the students told some friends, one of which did a home invasion type looking for all the silver (very small amount of sheet and wire) and gold(wire used in teaching wire wrapped jewelry) along with the gemstones( not the diamond and other high dollar stones the idiot thought) No body got hurt to bad, or worse.

People may think you got big bucks with the machines you do have, as a lot people don't have a clue. That boats, motorcycles and ski trips cost more!
                So there are a lot of things to consider.
                Glen
                Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

DATo,
                  I think it's a great idea. With one or two students at a time it would minimise the chances of personal injuries or equipment damage. I've done a fair amount of training in my jobs and it can be very rewarding and a bit frustrating at times. For a course that's paid for by the people your teaching you get students who want to learn. To use woodturning as an example there's courses all over the world being taught to small groups of students. But a online subscribed course would also be a great idea as someone else has already pointed out.

Pete

Comment

Saturdays are one of my two designated "Bar Days", where I'll meet with like minded friends. Each one of us will have our own personal "Rant Of The Week", but mine will be extra special today.

My rant today will be.. What motivates people to get in your face incessantly. Telling you that they know what's best for you, and they only want to protect you from yourself. I wear a damn seatbelt because I feel more secure in it. I still resent that the ninnie nannies felt compelled to legislate it!

The Marine Corps is finding it harder and harder to find "a few good men". I wonder why?

Oops! I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved in this issue. Damn!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S.
                      My rant today will be.. What motivates people to get in your face incessantly. Telling you that they know what's best for you, and they only want to protect you from yourself. I wear a damn seatbelt because I feel more secure in it. I still resent that the ninnie nannies felt compelled to legislate it!
                      While I agree in princaple, I kinda think helmet/seatbelt laws are a good thing in changing the culture of it. When I was a kid, very few people used seatbelts and rarely did they make thier kids use them. It just was not the culture to do so. Some people rebel against it sure. But thats 'A rebel without a cause'

Also, here in canada we do get taxed for healthcare, So reducing overall healthcare costs technicaly IS in your best intrests, even if it never saves your life. (In the USA, you have the same deal, Except average healthcare costs are reflected in your insurance rates insted of taxes. Same deal, diffrent bill)
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

DATo, before you advertise for students visit your insurance rep and ask them about teaching machine work at your home. I think your going to get a loud fast NO, we will not cover you for that under any conditions. I doubt you will find any insurance company that will cover you for that in your home shop.

Next go to the business license dept in your county or city and ask about operating a school teaching machine operation from your home. Another NO, you can't do that.

IF you do get past those barriers I suggest you only have ONE student in your shop at a time. Things happen to fast for you to be watching two people at once.

If you want to have a teaching school I suggest you rent a small building in a business zoned area and do it there where you can get insured and licensed without any problems. If you don't have a license and insurance and someone gets hurt you will pay for it the rest of your life.

Teaching for pay in your home shop has many red flags flying over it. Here's the problem, the laws in almost every state, county and city are written to keep anyone from doing what you have in mind. Even operating a machine shop in a residential area is illegal almost everywhere.

I really think you need to research this and think long and hard about doing it at your home shop. It could cost you everything you own if someone gets hurt. If you don't have a license and insurance and someone gets hurt you will pay for it the rest of your life.
                        Last edited by Carld; 08-27-2011, 02:22 PM.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

DATo

I think you have a good idea and encourage you to pursue it. While liability issues are real, they can and should be minimized regardless of what the underwriters may dictate.

As for potential students, we are always getting new members here who are new to machining. There may be a wealth of potential students here and on other machining boards with a proven interest in the craft. Perhaps a 2 or 3 day introduction to machining for a small class of newbies would be in order.

Go for it, best of luck,

Tim

Comment

So... Is my liability waver idea just totaly nuts? Nobody has commented on it. Id say it would have to 'Include death' to be honest.

Likey cheaper to hire a lawyer to draft one up then it is to get insurance and all that. Maybe with the stipulation that all safty information from several well known (And listed on the waver) machinist books is taught it might hold up in court a little better. Tell your potential students if they can't/won't sign the waver, thats fine, They can just go to well insured schools instead. Nobody is forcing people to take your class, and indeed, you only need a couple people, So you do not need to appeal to a huge market.
                            Last edited by Black_Moons; 08-27-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I doubt a liability waver would hold up in court. Can you afford the risk?

Comment

[QUOTE=Black_Moons]So... Is my liability waver idea just totaly nuts? Nobody has commented on it. Id say it would have to 'Include death' to be honest.

Not nuts at all Moons, I decided not to let insurance companies run my business a long time ago.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X